Are CD players still fashionable

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Webern said:
I still buy and listen to CDs but use Qobuz to listen to new recordings. Classical is my passion, but It's also great to be able to read a recommendation for a folk/pop album on this forum and be streaming it two minutes later. Before streaming I just wouldn't have taken the risk of paying for a physical copy or download.

For classical music lovers it's a golden age. You can buy complete editions of the major conductors and artists for a couple of quid per CD and every week brings dozens of fresh interpretations and new discoveries. I have a legacy vinyl collection, but I don't know a single classical music lover who wouldn't choose CD over vinyl. The engineering on many modern CDS is jaw-droppingly good.
Well said! I use Qobuz too and I like it a lot. I also like eclassical.com for downloads as you pay per minute and only need buy the tracks you want. But I still use a CD when I’m listening ”properly”!

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
BigH said:
DougK said:
Gray said:
I'll welcome anyone pointing me to a choice of mint CDs at 80p each (they can even have the odd scuff)

Think I bought a used Corrs GH CD from Amazon/Music Magpie about two years ago for 5p plus postage of £1.26. Definitely think that prices are now creeping up though.

Yes prices are creeping up, got Led Zepp Remasters which is a double cd for less than £1 plus £1.26 postage and quite few other albums for 1p a few years ago. Been going through Amazon looking at ones I might buy and some of the prices are ridiculous. For example Peter Bradley Adams - Freeleaving is £28 used and £178 + £4.48 postage new. Also noticed that some albums are not available new. Rest assured the Corrs are available at low prices.

Just took a look at the Peter Bradley Adams selection on Amazon and apart from the most recent one and the one before, they're all crazy prices... I've got Traces on CD and that's going for £41!

Know what to do if I ever get a bit short lol!

D

Deleted member 108165

See what all you streaming-only guys are missing out on, us die-hard CD-only guys are all sitting on appreciating goldmines *smile* My Corrs album is now retailing at a cool £2.97-£14.76 for a used - very good copy *biggrin*

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Suddenly I'm not so sure about CDs being cheap. I just spent £28 on a used copy of Tchaikovsky Orchestral Favourites on Decca, featuring the London Festival Orchestra conducted by Bob Sharples. Fundamentally it's the same CD as the quite famous 1963 "1812" LP with the cannon on the front, and remains my favourite version of that piece. Seems impossible to get it cheaper than about £30 on CD because of its rarety. Might be an off chance that it turns up for £1 in a charity shop one day, but how many decades would I spend waiting seeing it was scarce to start with and is now out of print.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
most us streaming guys also buy cd's too.

I stopped collecting music nearly 20yrs ago, for around half that time I have streamed everything.

It is absolutely brilliant no going back. Why?

Simple, firstly I do not listen to my 'favourites' over and over again, I can't stand that, the same piece of music played in exactly the same way time after time, it would drive me crazy.

I love new (to me) music, always trying different things, new musical styles, new artists, the works. Sometimes something really grabs my attention so I follow where it takes, currently listening to recordings made at Columbia's famed 30th St Studio (it came to my attention when I discovered that Kind Of Blue and Time out were recorded there within a few weeks of each other). Rediscoved the Chicago transit Authority and Terry Kath's insane guitar playing, recorded there in 1968, Miles Davis's early electric recordings and lots, lots more.

Also, with it being Easter, a fair amount of 'church' music has been played in the last few days quite wondeful, it would be near impossible to do this sort of thing by 'buying' all the music, be a waste anyway as next week something else will grab my attention and I shall be off on another voyage of discovery, you simply can't beat 30 million tracks.

Pretty much on the same boat as you then dave....I'm listening to all kinds of music these days...stuff that I wouldn't dreamt of buying..but when you're streaming it costs nothing to just delve in there and give it a bash.....I'm kinda finding jazz at the moment.....never gave it much of a chance in years gone by....mainly because I didn't know where to start....but I like to buy the stuff I really like....one day that Internet is going to go t%#s up.lol.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Don't you think you'd be better off selling the Yamaha cd player and just using a dedicated transport or files on your laptop.

Seems a waste of a Yamaha cd player

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Don't you think you'd be better off selling the Yamaha cd player and just using a dedicated transport or files on your laptop.

Seems a waste of a Yamaha cd player
I can’t do that Andrew I like my Yamaha CD player I just want to improve on the Dac and I’ve got the the Yamaha wxc50 for streaming which does the job like any other streamer and the transport inside the Yamaha is a good one so I am just updating the Dac really .

i do not understand what a expensive streamer going to do over a Yamaha wxc50 ? They both do the same thing I would just be paying for the Dac inside where I might as well buy a quality stand alone Dac

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
davedotco said:
Mark Rose-Smith said:

I stopped collecting music nearly 20yrs ago, for around half that time I have streamed everything.

Simple, firstly I do not listen to my 'favourites' over and over again, I can't stand that, the same piece of music played in exactly the same way time after time, it would drive me crazy.

I love new (to me) music, always trying different things, new musical styles, new artists, the works. Sometimes something really grabs my attention so I follow where it takes, currently listening to recordings made at Columbia's famed 30th St Studio (it came to my attention when I discovered that Kind Of Blue and Time out were recorded there within a few weeks of each other). Rediscoved the Chicago transit Authority and Terry Kath's insane guitar playing, recorded there in 1968, Miles Davis's early electric recordings and lots, lots more.

Also, with it being Easter, a fair amount of 'church' music has been played in the last few days quite wondeful, it would be near impossible to do this sort of thing by 'buying' all the music, be a waste anyway as next week something else will grab my attention and I shall be off on another voyage of discovery, you simply can't beat 30 million tracks.

I'm the same as you, never play music more than a few times a year, like it to sound fresh. I went through Live at the Village Vanguard albums last year that was quite interesting, I will have a look at Columbia's famed 30th St Studio recordings. Good think about streaming is discovering new music which unless I took a gamble on buying I would never find. Tying £1,000s up in music I never play is a complete waste, I may get some prices for my unplayed cds. What do you do if the album is not available on cd?

insider9

BigH said:
davedotco said:
Mark Rose-Smith said:

I'm the same as you, never play music more than a few times a year, like it to sound fresh. I went through Live at the Village Vanguard albums last year that was quite interesting, I will have a look at Columbia's famed 30th St Studio recordings. Good think about streaming is discovering new music which unless I took a gamble on buying I would never find. Tying £1,000s up in music I never play is a complete waste, I may get some prices for my unplayed cds. What do you do if the album is not available on cd?
Quite similar to both of you.

With exceptions...

New albums (to me) that I really like get repeated plays until I know them well.

Favourites and library gets played when I don't feel like playing anything new of want something familiar. Or Roon radio plays a track from and album I've not heard for a while.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
davedotco said:
Mark Rose-Smith said:

I'm the same as you, never play music more than a few times a year, like it to sound fresh. I went through Live at the Village Vanguard albums last year that was quite interesting, I will have a look at Columbia's famed 30th St Studio recordings. Good think about streaming is discovering new music which unless I took a gamble on buying I would never find. Tying £1,000s up in music I never play is a complete waste, I may get some prices for my unplayed cds. What do you do if the album is not available on cd?

The Village Vangard 'collection' looks great, I know some of the albums but going through the collection looks like fun.

In a similar but rather different vein, take a look at the 'Live at Billy Bob's Texas', a series of live recordings of what I refer to as american 'bar room rock and roll', great fun, country music but not as we know it...

MajorFubar said:
Suddenly I'm not so sure about CDs being cheap. I just spent £28 on a used copy of Tchaikovsky Orchestral Favourites on Decca, featuring the London Festival Orchestra conducted by Bob Sharples. Fundamentally it's the same CD as the quite famous 1963 "1812" LP with the cannon on the front, and remains my favourite version of that piece. Seems impossible to get it cheaper than about £30 on CD because of its rarety. Might be an off chance that it turns up for £1 in a charity shop one day, but how many decades would I spend waiting seeing it was scarce to start with and is now out of print.
Crumbs, you must rate it for that price! I’ve been trying to find it on one of those ‘music from the movies’ type albums, but I guess you already tried that?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
nopiano said:
I’ve been trying to find it on one of those ‘music from the movies’ type albums, but I guess you already tried that?

Yes, unless I'm mistaken (and now unnecessarily very much out of pocket) this is the only CD it has ever appeared on. Also on the CD is the Nutcracker Suite from the flip-side of the same '1812' LP, along with Capriccio Italien and Romeo and Juliet, which were not on the LP (added as padding to the CD no doubt: 38 minute CDs don't look too great value). I found it via iTunes Music, searching for anything with Sharples in the description, which was a longshot. Having determined it was exactly the right recording I went on the hunt for the CD. I checked 'completed items' on eBay and they all sell for around the £30 mark. So I bit the bullet. Most expensive CD I've ever bought.

Webern

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
nopiano said:
I’ve been trying to find it on one of those ‘music from the movies’ type albums, but I guess you already tried that?

Yes, unless I'm mistaken (and now unnecessarily very much out of pocket) this is the only CD it has ever appeared on. Also on the CD is the Nutcracker Suite from the flip-side of the same '1812' LP, along with Capriccio Italien and Romeo and Juliet, which were not on the LP (added as padding to the CD no doubt: 38 minute CDs don't look too great value). I found it via iTunes Music, searching for anything with Sharples in the description, which was a longshot. Having determined it was exactly the right recording I went on the hunt for the CD. I checked 'completed items' on eBay and they all sell for around the £30 mark. So I bit the bullet. Most expensive CD I've ever bought.

Much as I still like my CDs, I think I might have been tempted to buy the download and print my own CD cover artwork!

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Webern said:
Much as I still like my CDs, I think I might have been tempted to buy the download and print my own CD cover artwork!

You know what? I never did check out how much it cost as an iTunes download

*Looks*

£10.99. That's lossy of course, I'm not sure if you can purchase it lossless from anywhere, or how much it would cost. I doubt it would be [as much as] £28 though

Webern

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Webern said:

You know what? I never did check out how much it cost as an iTunes download

*Looks*

£10.99. That's lossy of course, I'm not sure if you can purchase it lossless from anywhere, or how much it would cost. I doubt it would be [as much as] £28 though

Hm yes £10.99 is a bit steep for lossy. I think Presto Classics may offer it as a FLAC download for similar money, but anyway, what a classic recording, and just seeing that cover reminds me of the original lp. They don't make them like that any more! (well not so many).

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Webern said:
but anyway, what a classic recording, and just seeing that cover reminds me of the original lp. They don't make them like that any more! (well not so many).

Yeah it's pretty amazing that it's considered one of the definitive recordings of the piece considering it was all recorded on a 4-track recorder. While the Americans had been using 8-track recorders since the late 50's, 4-track was state of the art over here for another ten years.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts