Do Bottle Necks Exists In HiFi Systems

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
And this is the crux of the matter. Chasing an improvement is expensive and can possibly yield a significant yet still very small change in the overall sound. The decision is whether spending so much is actually worth it for the very small gains.

My own experience was four times the cost of my previous kit and yes I did hear an improvement but it definitely did not sound four times better, but I'm content with what I have now. It's all about killing those nagging doubts and the upgraditis bug.

You are best placed to decide what sounds right and acceptable to you (y)
Upgraditus and the law of diminishing returns are tricky things to balance.
It's good to see dealers being so helpful as, understandably, they must be struggling these days to keep a non-online only establishment going.

matthewpianist

Over the weekend I pulled my Dynaudio DM2/6s out. I've kept them for longer than I've had anything else (coming up to 10 years now). They sound amazing, and very easily show the Q floorstanders the door. The JBLs run the Dyns much more closely, but I still think the Dyns take it overall.

The moral of the story is that sometimes we even end up going backwards.

Oxfordian

Over the weekend I pulled my Dynaudio DM2/6s out. I've kept them for longer than I've had anything else (coming up to 10 years now). They sound amazing, and very easily show the Q floorstanders the door. The JBLs run the Dyns much more closely, but I still think the Dyns take it overall.

The moral of the story is that sometimes we even end up going backwards.
All my old stuff what worked after being in the loft I sold either for parts or as a workable item, so no going back. Having spent a lot on what I have now and the retained value of second hand electronics not being overly great, I have decided that nothing is going to be sold to fund future purchases, it will be re-used elsewhere in the house if possible.

So going forward I may be able to go backwards occasionally.

:)

Reactions: WayneKerr

matthewpianist

All my old stuff what worked after being in the loft I sold either for parts or as a workable item, so no going back. Having spent a lot on what I have now and the retained value of second hand electronics not being overly great, I have decided that nothing is going to be sold to fund future purchases, it will be re-used elsewhere in the house if possible.

So going forward I may be able to go backwards occasionally.

:)

I think that's why I've never moved the Dyns on. I've sold plenty of other stuff in the intervening years to fund new purchases (and to help ease some financial black spots), but the Dyns have remained. They pair very well with the Rotel.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts