Will hifi die as Coronavirus spreads?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Jimboo

You wrote 9 M HOSPITALISED,yet your quote said The coronavirus epidemic in the UK will last until next spring and could lead to 7.9 million people being hospitalised.
Not on the same day or week or month.
Read and digest it , stop, think , read again , be logical. Listen to the bloody doctor and do the maths. You are not helping the situation.

insider9

For the record I've not bought any loo roll or pasta.

You wrote 9 M HOSPITALISED,yet your quote said The coronavirus epidemic in the UK will last until next spring and could lead to 7.9 million people being hospitalised.
Not on the same day or week or month.
Read and digest it , stop, think , read again , be logical. Listen to the bloody doctor and do the maths. You are not helping the situation.
Stop being patronising. One comment was a reprint from Guardian. The other numbers were what I believe in based on simple maths and what is happening.

D

Deleted member 188533

Mortality rate is far less when compared to Influenza, MERS or Ebola viruses,
Not to question your knowledge there but you sure you mean regular yearly influenza? Because if you mean H5 N1 then that's a disease like MERS with very little infectivity in humans. Regular run of the mill yearly influenza CFR is about .1% on the high side. The best case models I've seen for this come to about 1%.

Jimboo

For the record I've not bought any loo roll or pasta.

Stop being patronising. One comment was a reprint from Guardian. The other numbers were what I believe in based on simple maths and what is happening.
I am not being patronising I really am trying to cut through the crap. The simple maths you speak of should tell you exactly why you are so over the top worried.

D

Deleted member 188533

Lets be nice please. We can have an adult conversation about this. I think it's a good thing to talk about since it's going to have an impact on all our lives in some way. But let's be civil even if we disagree about some things.

D

Deleted member 108165

Good that bigboss took the time out of his busy schedule to post, thank you. A real Doctor I will listen to. Not interested in the spin on the news or in the papers, or arm-chair physicians and clairvoyants.

Not to question your knowledge there but you sure you mean regular yearly influenza? Because if you mean H5 N1 then that's a disease like MERS with very little infectivity in humans. Regular run of the mill yearly influenza CFR is about .1% on the high side. The best case models I've seen for this come to about 1%.
Sorry, yes I mean H5N1 avian influenza which had a mortality of 60%. MERS had a mortality of 34% and Ebola 50%. Compared to them, the mortality rate for SARS CoV2 (Covid 19) is less, but because it's more infective than others, more people will be infected. So even a small percentage mortality can mean big numbers.

D

Deleted member 188533

Reactions: Squall Leonhart

smbmetal

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
Most hifi enthusiasts are of retirement age. As a result more susceptible to the virus. Younger people don't care about sound quality. And finally once sh*t hits the fan no one will care.

Is this the end of hifi?
I'm 40 now and got into Hi-Fi at 30. I don't think it will be the end of Hi-Fi

There's been 6,500 world wide deaths up to now https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...stralia-france-italy-spain-update-latest-news

Whilst I'm sure that number will unfortunately continue to climb I'm sure they'll be plenty of "Retirement Age" people about afterwards. :)

D

Deleted member 108165

The only thing that we can be certain of, regardless of any government intervention, is that a majority of this forum will probably get it. How it manifests itself will depend very much on age, health and underlying issues.

Regarding the above chart looks like I need to keep away from anyone in the 20-29 age group, so any of you are welcome around place as you're all over that age :)

Personally I'm at a standpoint between the don't worry about it crowd and the be very worried about it crowd.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts