Will hifi die as Coronavirus spreads?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

Those dooms day people will be well sorted now eg bog roll.

D

Deleted member 108165

Unless you live in a bunker the whole world has cases. What am I supposed to do?
I'm not panicking about it at all, but personally I would not travel to an area where it is prevalent. I work in a large warehouse with plenty of employees so it's only a matter of time before someone brings it in, I'll cross that bridge when I've got it. What annoys me is the panic shoppers, they should be shot.

Jimboo

Doug I work with two lads who were in the epicentre two weeks ago. All my workplace is reliant on stuff from Italy and China. They are all going to work everyday, however come the weekend evening they have to stay indoors to stop the spread .UPS and Amazon and just eat equivalents are all running normally , madness.

insider9

Then logically it will be a different virus. It is a mild respiratory infection that is a cold. Immunity will decrease after a couple of years . It will mutate and spread and generally do the same thing as colds do. H1N1 , Sars, bird flu or swine flu . This is the sixth pandemic this century four of them Corona strain. How many times have you been abroad or emptied the supermarket in the last twenty years. They are all still active and incurable.Hysteria is the danger here.
No, the same virus. You accused me of being misinformed and now you're trying to apply logic over scientific research.

insider9

Sources:

Reactions: Squall Leonhart
D

Deleted member 108165

Doug I work with two lads who were in the epicentre two weeks ago. All my workplace is reliant on stuff from Italy and China. They are all going to work everyday, however come the weekend evening they have to stay indoors to stop the spread .UPS and Amazon and just eat equivalents are all running normally , madness.
I work for a federal competitor to UPS :) They are all working fine... at the moment :mask:

D

Deleted member 188533

1) It is NOT the common cold. China did not take the measures it took for a cold or the flu. Those measures are unprecedented in history and basically tanked their economy. The same economy that keeps the CCP in power.

2) MOST of the bad outcomes are in the elderly or people with other health problems. But 'most' doesn't mean all. There are younger people that have not done well or died.

3) Mild disease in this case can mean double pneumonia. They only classify it as severe if you need supplemental oxygen. I had pneumonia when I was about 12 and it took a month to get over. Not fun.

4) This is a very hard disease to stop. It spreads before symptoms start, and can take 2-6 weeks to get over. Younger people under 30 may get very mild symptoms and not even know they have it. They then spread it to older people who will get very sick.

5) Due to the severity and length of sickness it will very easily overwhelm the hospital systems in every country. I've read in that Italy they can't even treat trauma or strokes or heart attacks because they are literally overwhelmed. People who get very sick require mechanical ventilation. Many of those people will get better with long term care. BUT there are a limited number of machines and critical care facilities. Some of those people who would otherwise get better might not get treatment.

6) Reinfection from what I've read is probably due to the person not clearing the infection the first time. At least that's what the infectious disease/virologist community think.

7) It's a new disease to humanity. It's very similar to SARS. Check out the 10 and 15 year studies of SARS survivors. Many of them have long term problems. If you go on a vent for a few weeks you're going to have long term issues. You don't just bounce back from requiring a machine to breathe. No one has immunity and there are no perfect treatments. That means medical staff get sick like everyone else at the same time. We saw that in China. It contributes to the hospitals being overwhelmed.

Look I'm 45 and in relatively good health. But I have high blood pressure and that's a risk factor. My main concern is my 77 year old mother. And my 56 year old sister who's a nurse and is going to be exposed to this at some point. And my 70 year old uncle who's had open heart surgery....you get the idea. I'd really rather not bury my extended family because of this. So we're going to be cautious.

I'd recommend Dr John Campbell's youtube channel. He's from the UK and he does daily updates based on the real science. No hype and no politics. Just the view of a doctor who breaks it down in a way the average person can understand.

Jimboo

Sources:
You see you post , you don't even read it.
They didn't show symptoms no spread from them to close family etc
Here, actually read the very thing you posted
The science surrounding these apparent reinfections is further complicated by China’s handling of the outbreak, which since January has been marred by faulty testing procedures and questionable case counting methods with shifting definitions. In addition, the overburdened healthcare system has put pressure on doctors to discharge people who may not have fully recovered to free up beds for newly infected patients.

China has been praised in recent weeks by the World Health Organization for containing the virus. But the Communist Party’s early moves to suppress public knowledge on the extent of infections prompt concerns over the accuracy of information about recovered patients who retest positive but may have been misdiagnosed in the first place.

Such cases account for less than 0.2% of China’s total infections — not enough to cause alarm. But they are raising questions in China about the reliability of diagnostic tests, the possibility of reinfection and whether patients are wrongly designated as “recovered” and released too early from hospitals.
Just stop it man.

D

Deleted member 108165

Who would trust anything that China says anyway. Another question why do all these bl**dy viruses seem to originate in China FFS... Is something happening over there that we are not aware of?

D

Deleted member 2457

Who would trust anything that China says anyway. Another question why do all these bl**dy viruses seem to originate in China FFS... Is something happening over there that we are not aware of?
Their animals live in their houses with them that’s why.

D

Deleted member 188533

Yes the wet markets. The flu virus generally also comes from China each year. You put people, pigs and birds all together in close proximity and you have a perfect situation for influenza.

This is not influenza though. This one came from bats and jumped to something else then humans.

Jimboo

Anort , what is the medical description and composition of Corona virus? What is the medical description and composition of a cold? The other illnesses are still out there and still incurable.
You are so right about your loved ones. That is exactly where advice , money and practical solutions should be 100 % about them The rest of us will survive.
All the known cases back this up.

D

Deleted member 188533

Most colds are caused by rhinoviruses. There are 3 or 4 strains of coronaviruses that cause colds though. Covid19 is a coronavirus. But SARS and MERS are also from coronaviruses and those cause very severe disease.

Here watch this. Michael Osterholm is an actual expert and he gets into all this.

View: https://youtu.be/E3URhJx0NSw

Reactions: Tonestar1

Jimboo

Right Anort, you contradicted yourself there.
"Most colds are caused by rhinoviruses. There are 3 or 4 strains of coronaviruses that cause colds though. Covid19 is a coronavirus. "
See below.

Coronaviruses (CoV) have been identified as human pathogens since the 1960’s. Coronaviruses infect humans and many other vertebrates . Illness in humans is mostly respiratory or gastrointestinal infections, however symptoms can range from the common cold to more severe lower respiratory infections such as pneumonia [1]. A broad range of coronaviruses are found in bats, which might play a crucial role in the virus evolution of alpha- and betacoronavirus lineages in particular. However, other animal species can also act as an intermediate host and animal reservoir.

Zoonotic coronaviruses have emerged in recent years to cause human outbreaks, such as the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) in 2003 and the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) since 2012.

Reactions: Dom

Jimboo

Protect the vulnerable. Most of you will be going to work on Monday , some of you will be emptying supermarket shelves. It is or appears to be everywhere on the planet. Kids don't get it so don't shut schoools, most people will be I'll and then ok. People with certain health problems will suffer. In two weeks time the govt may isolate the over seventies. So, can we please help the old and those at risk NOW and stop worrying about the majority who will be alright?

D

Deleted member 188533

Right Anort, you contradicted yourself there.
I did?

"Well over 200 virus strains are implicated in causing the common cold, with rhinoviruses being the most common"

"Coronaviruses are a group of related viruses that cause diseases in mammals and birds. In humans, coronaviruses cause respiratory tract infections that are typically mild, such as some cases of the common cold (among other possible causes, predominantly rhinoviruses), "

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts