Van Damme cables

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
As some of you may know [:p] im quite a fan of van damme cables

But I thought id like to share my experiences to even those that are also advocates. The reason being that having tested studio blue interconnects and speaker cables (What nearly everyone who uses Van Damme has), ive recently tried some van damme UP LC-OFC (Ultra Pure Linear Crystal Oxygen Free Copper, which basically means theyre almost as good as youll ever get at 'any' price) speaker cables and interconnects

The reason I initially bought the studio blue is because I falsely believed that it was those that were used in the recording studios (Im sure some are anyways), but its actually the UP LC-OFC that are the top of the range 'hi fi' cables. Also, ive had to put my own plugs on the ends of the ICs and speaker cables (ive used 'That Cables' bananas and Phonos, of which WHF love their HDMI - im sure you know the one), so I initially bought some 'ready made' studio blue ones as no one seems to do the same with the LC-OFC ones (If anyone does find them, id be interested). The ICs ive silver soldered (easy enough, took me about an hour and a half to make them up)

Ive always been a big believer in cables, but im also well aware of all the BS that surrounds this very much debated topic.

Now my point ~ I would urge EVERYONE to try these cables out. For the money theyre absolutely incredible, and cost a minimum of 10 times less the hifi 'known' brands (Though its probably more like 50 times less). Ive only just now fitted the ICs to my system (Had the speaker cables on a week now). As soon as I put the cd in the tray (A compilation of film tracks I got free of front of a mag, Harry Potter score 1st track), my jaw dropped. Ive used VERY expensive cables in my system to compare them too. I dont regret ever buying them, but the van dammes top them no danger. This is the 1st time in a LONG time ive genuinely sat back and thought that music doesnt get any better than this.

Even those with van damme studio blue will tell an 'instant' difference with these cables.I admit theyre pretty hard to find (even online), but if you can (I managed to buy the speaker cable even cheaper than the studio blue normally costs!), you have absolutely got to give these cables a go

All im hoping for now is they release some XLR balanced cables with the same purity copper and ill be a very happy bunny

I hope somone here reads this and decides to give it a go, so i'd know at least one person is listening to a similar quality that im listening to right now.......

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I've been using VanDamme Blue Series Studio Grade UPOFC Classic Pro 2 x 4.00mm for a few months now, and I'm more than happy.

Is this the cable you are referring too?

Anyways, prior to this I had been using Chord Odyssey 2 and NACA5, and I find the VD at least their equal, for a fraction of the price.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
DIB:
I've been using VanDamme Blue Series Studio Grade UPOFC Classic Pro 2 x 4.00mm for a few months now, and I'm more than happy.

Is this the cable you are referring too?

Anyways, prior to this I had been using Chord Odyssey 2 and NACA5, and I find the VD at least their equal, for a fraction of the price.

Nope. The studio blue is what I initially tried. The UP LC-OFC looks completely different (Although the ICs look similar)

http://www.vdctrading.com/content.asp?SubsectionID=30

A

Anonymous

oh well , your going on about these so much rik , they surely gotta be good , and the fact that they are cheap , means im gonna buy some
emotion-15.gif

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
michael hoy:Very interesting, what size are you using.

The 4mm biwired to my center and the 4mm biamped to my main (May or may not get round to the rears which im not that fussed about)

The 2.5mm should be fine for most people though

A

Anonymous

I'm pretty tempted but I have a SHB Q IC on the way to try first.

A

Anonymous

This is a pain Rick as I have just changed my cables to VD 4mm studio blue all round in a 7.1 system so it wasn't cheap

Wasn't easy to run into plastic conduit either due to the thickness of the cable

Even ended up with a spare 21m

I didn't realise at the time that VD did UP LC-OFC which I do believe would be the better choice and so much easier to run

So what do to now thats the question ?

michael hoy

aliEnRIK:
michael hoy:Very interesting, what size are you using.

The 4mm biwired to my center and the 4mm biamped to my main (May or may not get round to the rears which im not that fussed about)

The 2.5mm should be fine for most people though

Thanks Rik,

I have ordered the 4mm for my 3 front speakers (LCR), will leave the rears for now, they run under the floor.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
lesmor:
I didn't realise at the time that VD did UP LC-OFC which I do believe would be the better choice and so much easier to run

Neither did I when I got mine

Personally id suggest buying some LC OFC for your fronts and see what you think

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
lesmor:
This is a pain Rick as I have just changed my cables to VD 4mm studio blue all round in a 7.1 system so it wasn't cheap

Wasn't easy to run into plastic conduit either due to the thickness of the cable

I found the the difference between the Studio grade and the clear-sheathed cable that Rik is referring to, negligible. I think possibly the change of interconnects in Rik's system brought the drastic improvement, rather than the speaker cable.

The Studio Grade Blue is darned good cable, especially for the price. so I wouldn't worry bout changing it.

A

Anonymous

aliEnRIK:
Tarquinh:Easy. Keep what you've got
emotion-1.gif

Youd be a little foolish to completely dismiss these Tar

Not dismissing anything, Rick. There's nothing wrong with what he already has, the cabling is new, so he should enjoy them.

No point throwing good money after bad, especially in these difficult economic times.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
bretty:lesmor:

I found the the difference between the Studio grade and the clear-sheathed cable that Rik is referring to, negligible. I think possibly the change of interconnects in Rik's system brought the drastic improvement, rather than the speaker cable.

The Studio Grade Blue is darned good cable, especially for the price. so I wouldn't worry bout changing it.

Possibly

Though I suspect my recent 'balanced mains unit' has made everything work so much better that what some people may find negligible, id find pretty significant

A

Anonymous

Well I did wonder if if Rik's change of IC at the same time might have been the biggest improvement , of course the 'balanced mains unit' has also been added to the mix.

I will consider changing the LCR to UP LC-OFC once I punt the spare cable as I believe the LC copper will make a difference , pity I hadn't realise that VD did this type of cable .

At the moment will stick with the studio as I literally have just started using it and have made big changes to my room and equipment which I have not quite set up to my satisfaction , also of course the cable has not had a chance to "burn in " if there is such a thing

For those considering VD cable obviously given a second chance I would go for the UP LC-OFC option

A

Anonymous

Rick

This looks interesting. I'm curious about the difference this might make to my system as I have a balanced mains unit too. I'd like to try the IC first but I'm stupidly confused by the website ordering information. I'd only want a metre stereo pair IC and the pricing says £4.18 for 10+. How do I order just 2 metres (assuming each metre is one mono IC).. also the website is so jam packed full of information and I see they make up cables so is it possible to buy this cable with phonos fitted? It doesn't seem easy to find that out.. (or as I suspect, I'm not as bright as I thought).

Cheers
Chris

PS. Is this the same cable? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Van-Damme-LC-OFC-Hi-Fi-Signal-Interconnect-Cable-/380207597459?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item5886238793

A

Anonymous

No, that's the speaker cable. I am referring to the IC (Interconnect.) version.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
chris_t:
Rick

This looks interesting. I'm curious about the difference this might make to my system as I have a balanced mains unit too. I'd like to try the IC first but I'm stupidly confused by the website ordering information. I'd only want a metre stereo pair IC and the pricing says £4.18 for 10+. How do I order just 2 metres (assuming each metre is one mono IC).. also the website is so jam packed full of information and I see they make up cables so is it possible to buy this cable with phonos fitted? It doesn't seem easy to find that out.. (or as I suspect, I'm not as bright as I thought).

Cheers
Chris

PS. Is this the same cable? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Van-Damme-LC-OFC-Hi-Fi-Signal-Interconnect-Cable-/380207597459?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item5886238793

Some sites only allow a minimum of 10m (I bought 10m spool too). It comes as a pair, so one meter includes left and right channels. As I stated originally, ive not yet found one ready made up with phonos so I silver soldered some myself

yes, thats the same cable on ebay

A

Anonymous

michael hoy:
chris_t:No, that's the speaker cable. I am referring to the IC (Interconnect.) version.

Sorry Chris, must have been half a sleep.

OK Michael, no problem
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

aliEnRIK:

Some sites only allow a minimum of 10m (I bought 10m spool too). It comes as a pair, so one meter includes left and right channels. As I stated originally, ive not yet found one ready made up with phonos so I silver soldered some myself

yes, thats the same cable on ebay

Thanks Rick, The seller on ebay does made up cables and with the Neutrik Phono Plug that they do it would be £16 for 0.8 metre + carriage which suits me fine as I think that with my failing eyesight, my own soldering would be suspect . I realise that maybe I should use a fancier plug but at the moment I'd like to keep the cost down really low. I have heard that these plugs are suposed to be pretty good anyway.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts