Van Damme cables

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
kusum65:
Wiith VDC trading you have to spend a minimum of £60 before they precess the order.

Any other sources?

Backtrack the thread and goto the ebay site Chris used

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
the record spot:aliEnRIK:
the record spot:Just arrived off my £5.49 Ebay purchase today - 10m of 329 strand, 2.5mm generic cable. Open, detailed, big, bold and bassy. Highly recommended.

Youve been on here long enough to for me to know youve had your hifi quite a while. Why would you change your speaker cable given that you clearly believe they cant possibly make a difference??

Did I say it made a difference AR? You're jumping to the wrong conclusions again.

I bought the cheap wire to try out a theory which was that 2.5mm wire, stranded (in this case 329 as opposed to solid copper core which is the Audioquest Type IV) was just as good as any of the more expensive speaker cable out there.

I found 10m of the stuff on Ebay, £5.49 delivered and decided that this would be a good way to go to give it a try. My findings with it viz my AQ are that both are remarkably similar, which suggest to me that one needn't spend £15 a pop on QED Revelation (or the like) if one is looking for a similar performance.

So, excellent performance can be had, if one wishes, for 54.9p per metre. More typically, expect to pay around 80p-£1 a metre. As ever, it's what's in the cable that counts and not the name on the box.

The dealer, for anyone who's interested, is Digitalis Direct.

I cant disagree with your conclusions. But that doesnt mean the cable youve just bought would sound as good as the van damme LC OFC (In fact im pretty sure its not)

T

the record spot

As I won't be lashing the cash on a third set of speaker cable to prove a point based a matter of taste, it can remain an academic point for me. You've got the details if you want to pursue that off your own back though. I'm less convinced about the OFC element as well, but that's getting down a to a level of science and applicability in signal carrying I've no real interest in pursuing ultimately.

EDIT - this is in a single-wired configuration as well now, the bi-wire cable from the Audioquest being on the thick side to get into the Sansui terminals. Alas, the new strander cable in some ways is just as thick, but it's easier to slot in the hole!

I should be clear here; I'm not comparing like with like, or suggesting that speaker cable doesn't make a difference, I AM saying that a high level of performance can be and is achieved with wire costing far, far less than significantly more expensive cable. This is borne out by my own experience, which is admittedly, not exactly comprehensive, but having had the AQ for over a decade, I can say I know the sound of the gear pretty well by now!

One last thing, I'm not sure on what would be improved here either by the way. I can hear this recording and what it's being played through and it is superb. So if anyone was going to improve how it sounded would - to my mind - over-emphasise some of the elements in the high/mid/bass frequencies coming out, which - also to my mind - unnaturally infect the music with undesirable colouration. That's not saying the system is wholly neutral, it's obviously not (few are in domestic settings), but it's a stretch to say your cable would improve what I'm hearing over another. What you're saying is in line with how it suits your taste, which is another thing entirely.

vinod_david

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
@alienRick >> Now, I've got the 6mm VD Blue, quite settling in now. How much difference in SQ does the LC-OFC will bring compared to the VD Blue? - can you differentiate the (+ and -) of both the cables point wise, could be easier for future VD buyers to take the plunge.

TIA

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
vinod_david:@alienRick >> Now, I've got the 6mm VD Blue, quite settling in now. How much difference in SQ does the LC-OFC will bring compared to the VD Blue? - can you differentiate the (+ and -) of both the cables point wise, could be easier for future VD buyers to take the plunge. TIA

The LC OFC cable comes with directional arrows, and its very clear which is positive and negative (Arrows are on one side only, so you cant go wrong)

I wasnt expecting a big difference, but there certainly is in my system. Its the most detailed cable ive used by far (And ive used some seriously expensive stuff in the past), and music 'flows' rather than sounding forced. Bass is very detailed and not boomy, treble is as sweet as can be

Hands down id recommend LC OFC over the studio blue

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
the record spot:I should be clear here; I'm not comparing like with like, or suggesting that speaker cable doesn't make a difference, I AM saying that a high level of performance can be and is achieved with wire costing far, far less than significantly more expensive cable. This is borne out by my own experience, which is admittedly, not exactly comprehensive, but having had the AQ for over a decade, I can say I know the sound of the gear pretty well by now!

One last thing, I'm not sure on what would be improved here either by the way. I can hear this recording and what it's being played through and it is superb. So if anyone was going to improve how it sounded would - to my mind - over-emphasise some of the elements in the high/mid/bass frequencies coming out, which - also to my mind - unnaturally infect the music with undesirable colouration. That's not saying the system is wholly neutral, it's obviously not (few are in domestic settings), but it's a stretch to say your cable would improve what I'm hearing over another. What you're saying is in line with how it suits your taste, which is another thing entirely.

Yes im being subjective. But in doing so im also saying this is the most 'detailed' cable ive ever heard . No frequencies seem over extended at all, it just seems to let more information through (Or technically I should say it doesnt lose detail like other cables do)

I know exactly where your coming from. I completely agree that you dont need to spend loads to get decent quality. (In a way your saying that your VERY cheap cable is as good as known brand cable which would cost 50 quid or whatever. Whilst the more expensive van damme im saying is comparable to FAR more expensive cable)

But I can say without a shadow of a doubt that the LC OHC van damme is head and shoulders above any other cable ive tried. Sounds entirely neutral, music 'flows', instruments can easily be picked out from one another, treble is 'sweet' without being harsh and bass is hard hitting and detailed.

Im not going to buy those cables you speak of just to prove it to myself, im sticking with what I have now as I feel ill never need a change in speaker cales again

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
kusum65:Is that connect audio? I was under the impression they were sellinf the cheaper wire not the L ofc ?

I belive the confusion is that 'connect audio' the WEBSITE is the studio blue

Whilst 'connect audio' (Probably the same so unsure why this is) on EBAY sells the LC OFC

T

the record spot

aliEnRIK:
Yes im being subjective. But in doing so im also saying this is the most 'detailed' cable ive ever heard . No frequencies seem over extended at all, it just seems to let more information through (Or technically I should say it doesnt lose detail like other cables do)

I know exactly where your coming from. I completely agree that you dont need to spend loads to get decent quality. (In a way your saying that your VERY cheap cable is as good as known brand cable which would cost 50 quid or whatever. Whilst the more expensive van damme im saying is comparable to FAR more expensive cable)

Er, no, I'm not. It stands on its own two feet for what it is. No comparison with anything, unless you consider the cable construction POV. Cost is irrelevant in the context of the discussion as we've already established that it's not a factor in the end result, or needn't be if you don't accept the "branded cable being better" line.

aliEnRIK:
But I can say without a shadow of a doubt that the LC OHC van damme is head and shoulders above any other cable ive tried. Sounds entirely neutral, music 'flows', instruments can easily be picked out from one another, treble is 'sweet' without being harsh and bass is hard hitting and detailed.

If a cable is doing all of that, then your core components have issues, or you were using string. And the old "head and shoulders" again...straight out of the same filing cabinet where you find the folder marked "night and day".
emotion-5.gif

I have that already however: the "sweet", "flowing", "detailed" and all the bass elements too, so what's delivering it? My cheap wiring or the equipment that does the real work?

aliEnRIK:
Im not going to buy those cables you speak of just to prove it to myself, im sticking with what I have now as I feel ill never need a change in speaker cales again

Hey, no worries to me, it's a hobby I can take or leave at will. I'd rather invest more time in getting the right recordings which is ahead of the wiring for me.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Spot ~

Please quote a little better, I found that hard work to read through
anyways ~
ive tried 3 times to post a message and it keeps throwing an error up.............

T

the record spot

isn't that a bit biblical - don't point out the mote in my eye when there's a beam in your own?!

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
the record spot:isn't that a bit biblical - don't point out the mote in my eye when there's a beam in your own?!

yes.........its...........biblical
emotion-7.gif

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
AL13N:aliEnRIK:not entirely sure thats the right cable AL13N

The others state 'SP OFC'

The one your (I assume ) on about states 'Van Damme Hi-Fi Twin Interconnect cable in blue only', it doesnt say 'UP LC OFC', and it looks different to the LC OFC lead?
It's the same. Click here for more info.

The manufactured cable seems to employ heatshrink and braided (pliosil?) sleeves to tidy the breakout cables.

fair enough

Thank you very muchly AL13N
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

This is the cable I bought from Connect Audio via ebay. They made up the cable using Gold plated Neutrik Phono Plugs. I had two cables of 0.8Mtr length and the cost was £32 + £4 postage. I ordered them Sunday afternoon and they arrived Tuesday morning. Pretty good service and a 'Damme' good cable.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Van-Damme-LC-OFC-Hi-Fi-Signal-Interconnect-Cable-/380207597459?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item5886238793

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
kusum65:Sorry, having trouble. The correct search title is Audiophile Phono Interconnect WBT-102 1.5M and the item comes up.

yes theyre the right ones. But I feel mega expensive with those plugs on

grimmers

Jul 31, 2008
Visit site
well the speaker cable came yesterdaypretty quick delivery, just short of £25 with p+p fromavland,out came the chord silverscreen to be replaced with the van damme,first on was sony release last year of springsteens hits in the digipack, which is a awful recording and useally unlistenable to the high end, got though this, still a rubbish recorded cd, but some of the tizziness had gone and sounded a lot smoother, next tried the stones voodoo lounge,this sounded very good, the bass was there with the middle and top end slightly smother and easier to listen to, playing for a few hours tonight, see if it gets better over the next few days, it certainly is a different sounding cable to the chord, i am not saying it is better yet, but it has great potenial, well worth the money spent, also trying one of the ready made cheap van damme interconnects for approx £10 and that is very good also

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
grimmers:well the speaker cable came yesterdaypretty quick delivery, just short of £25 with p+p fromavland,out came the chord silverscreen to be replaced with the van damme,first on was sony release last year of springsteens hits in the digipack, which is a awful recording and useally unlistenable to the high end, got though this, still a rubbish recorded cd, but some of the tizziness had gone and sounded a lot smoother, next tried the stones voodoo lounge,this sounded very good, the bass was there with the middle and top end slightly smother and easier to listen to, playing for a few hours tonight, see if it gets better over the next few days, it certainly is a different sounding cable to the chord, i am not saying it is better yet, but it has great potenial, well worth the money spent, also trying one of the ready made cheap van damme interconnects for approx £10 and that is very good also

Which VD did you buy Grimmers? Blue or LC-OFC?

A

Anonymous

Am I missing something or is this just a length of insulated copper?

TRENDING THREADS