Van Damme cables

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Looking forward to my two sets of made up leads coming. All this talk of smoothness is making me impatient to hear the results.

A

Anonymous

Hi chaps, I'm looking to upgrade my speaker cables and was originally thinking along the lines of QED Rev or Chord Oddy 2. These Van Damme speaker cables look very interesting for little outlay. What improvements could i expect to hear over my Chord Carnival silverscreen?

A

Anonymous

Tony Warwick:

Hi chaps, I'm looking to upgrade my speaker cables and was originally thinking along the lines of QED Rev or Chord Oddy 2. These Van Damme speaker cables look very interesting for little outlay. What improvements could i expect to hear over my Chord Carnival silverscreen?

Difficult to answer as it is all subjective to each individual , but would say that it sounds neutral

That said the reason behind the recommendation is that if you look on the website at the companies and studios who use VD cable it is very impressive.

i.e. Abbey road studios , if its good enough for them then who am I to argue.

If this cable is used in the recording studio then the cable should be able to reproduce exactly what was recorded by the artist/engineer , any other cable cannot add anything that wasn't there in the first place , although you could argue it could take it away

All this at a reasonable cost

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
lesmor:
i.e. Abbey road studios , if its good enough for them then who am I to argue.

If this cable is used in the recording studio then the cable should be able to reproduce exactly what was recorded by the artist/engineer , any other cable cannot add anything that wasn't there in the first place , anthough you could argue it could take it away

All this at a reasonable cost

My personal thoughts are that im pretty sure better cables do exist. Although they would cost one hell of a lot of money and for probably not a great deal of difference. And by difference I mean that whatever little the van damme loses, a better cable wouldnt lose (ie, youd hear more detail)

I believe something along the lines of a nordost Heimdall or suchlike might be a bit of a step up (That said, im only going off what ive heard people say, ive never auditioned any myself). And audioquest do a copper extrusion that makes the copper even cleaner than the 'Linear Crystal' method (All this is subjective though, as I believe the heimdall and its family may lose a little bass, and although the audioquests is technically a better grade of copper, it might get let down elsewhere)

All this said, unless your willing to spend thousands for whats probably a very slight step up in detail, im personally not interested. Id say this is one of those cases that the money would be better spent on electronics

A

Anonymous

vinod_david:Sorry OP for some derailment. @Lesmor >> Did the RA Classic power bring any improvement?, planning to buy one. And, what IC do you use ? TIA

The jury's out on the RA Classic Power as I bought them at sale price (more money than sense) have been redecorating my Cinema room and haven't had a chance to really test them out. I did try the RA PowerMaxT Plus on my plasma ( will now be using this with my projector ) and noticed an improvement on picture and sound with that , the Classic wont fit the plasma unfortunately. As for IC I only use the room for cinema so it Chord HDMI which was free with WHF subscription.

When I do listen to CD I use a Pioneer DVD player with Audioquest Quartz Hyperlitz Interconnects which I have had for years

My room is finished now and I am literally setting things up as we speak so looking forward to trying out the cables within the next week.

kusum65

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
I recently bought a Ringmat phono cable with WBT nextgen cu plugs. Loved the sound until i put silver sirens inbetween the phono amp/power amp, lost the smooth sound completely.

Spending another wodge on Ringmat cables is to much of a stretch but i wanted something with the nextgen copper plugs.

Started reading this thread and googled van damm. Low and behold found Connect Audio do a interconnect with my plugs for £107 ,half the price i was looking at. Considering the plugs are £95 on Russ Andrews site its a good un.

Thanks guys for a usefull thread :)

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
kusum65:
I recently bought a Ringmat phono cable with WBT nextgen cu plugs. Loved the sound until i put silver sirens inbetween the phono amp/power amp, lost the smooth sound completely.

Spending another wodge on Ringmat cables is to much of a stretch but i wanted something with the nextgen copper plugs.

Started reading this thread and googled van damm. Low and behold found Connect Audio do a interconnect with my plugs for £107 ,half the price i was looking at. Considering the plugs are £95 on Russ Andrews site its a good un.

Thanks guys for a usefull thread :)

I wouldnt advise them (especially at that price)

Decent connectors are one thing. But that cable isnt the LC OFC grade (Which I would definitely buy using cheaper plugs, over your method of well expensive plugs and not as good cable)

kusum65

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for your caution. Any ideas on good quality of the reel cable i could use for DIY with my plugs?

My limited personal experience has been all copper cable is easier on the ear ( Atlas,Merlin and the ringmat)

A

Anonymous

My 2 x 0.8Mtr interconnects of Van Damme LC-OFC Hi Fi Signal Interconnect Cable terminated with Gold plated Neutrik Phono Plugs arrived today. Amazingly quick service from Connect Audio when you consider I was still asking them questions about the interconnect Sunday lunchtime.

My initial reaction to the interconnect without even giving the equipment chance to really warm up was the kind of "wow" that Rick referred to. I've been using Chord Chameleon Silver Plus and Van Den Hul The First cables and also the Rega cable that I bought when I purchased my Rega Apollo player. Any harshness virtually gone with detail taking its place with the Van Damme's. Resolution better than any of the cables I have been using especially the Rega which despite having a kind of "balanced" sound in comparison to the Chord and Van Den Hul's, was definately the less detailed cable. Vocals sound far more natural, individual instruments are beautifully separated but the interesting thing I find is that the music sounds like a more coherant "whole" despite it being possible to pick out individual instruments more easily. Both the Chord and Van Den Hul interconnects now seem to sound like a kind of "layered" sound with certain bands of frequencys forming the layers. I am so pleased to have read about these cables here and I can't wait to give them a more detailed listen tonight. A lot of my listening has to be done via headphones which are Sennheiser HD650's through an X-Cans Mark one Headphone amp which has been upgraded with rather better Mullard valves. When I get a chance I want to try this through my old Audiolab 8000 amp and equally old Rogers LS7 speakers which will probably mean I will want to try the Van Damme speaker cables next.

Question for Rick.... Speaker cables. Do you think I could get away with the 2.5mm Van damme speaker cable or should I really get the larger diameter cable?

Off to warm up the balanced mains supply and HiFi gear now!

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
kusum65:
Thanks for your caution. Any ideas on good quality of the reel cable i could use for DIY with my plugs?

My limited personal experience has been all copper cable is easier on the ear ( Atlas,Merlin and the ringmat)

You could buy a 10m+ reel from here ~

http://www.vdctrading.com/products_gridview.asp?SubSectionID=1&Page=3&ProductID=17#p17

or go elsewhere (ebay or whatever) and make sure its LC OFC (code 268-500-000)

*** EDITED - I assumed you meant the website, if you meant the ebay site then its probably fine ***

http://www.vdctrading.com/products_gridview.asp?SubSectionID=1&Page=3&ProductID=17#p17

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
chris_t:
My 2 x 0.8Mtr interconnects of Van Damme LC-OFC Hi Fi Signal Interconnect Cable terminated with Gold plated Neutrik Phono Plugs arrived today. Amazingly quick service from Connect Audio when you consider I was still asking them questions about the interconnect Sunday lunchtime.

My initial reaction to the interconnect without even giving the equipment chance to really warm up was the kind of "wow" that Rick referred to. I've been using Chord Chameleon Silver Plus and Van Den Hul The First cables and also the Rega cable that I bought when I purchased my Rega Apollo player. Any harshness virtually gone with detail taking its place with the Van Damme's. Resolution better than any of the cables I have been using especially the Rega which despite having a kind of "balanced" sound in comparison to the Chord and Van Den Hul's, was definately the less detailed cable. Vocals sound far more natural, individual instruments are beautifully separated but the interesting thing I find is that the music sounds like a more coherant "whole" despite it being possible to pick out individual instruments more easily. Both the Chord and Van Den Hul interconnects now seem to sound like a kind of "layered" sound with certain bands of frequencys forming the layers. I am so pleased to have read about these cables here and I can't wait to give them a more detailed listen tonight. A lot of my listening has to be done via headphones which are Sennheiser HD650's through an X-Cans Mark one Headphone amp which has been upgraded with rather better Mullard valves. When I get a chance I want to try this through my old Audiolab 8000 amp and equally old Rogers LS7 speakers which will probably mean I will want to try the Van Damme speaker cables next.

Question for Rick.... Speaker cables. Do you think I could get away with the 2.5mm Van damme speaker cable or should I really get the larger diameter cable?

Off to warm up the balanced mains supply and HiFi gear now!

The 2.5mm would be fine unless your running really long lengths (say over 15 meters)

A

Anonymous

Well it's soldered but I'm not sure if it's silver soldered and the cost for the 2 sets of stereo 0.8Mtr cables was £36 with postage.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the info on the speaker cable Rick. I was hoping you would say 2.5mm as it does seem a sensible size for the gear and the distance involved. It'll be interesting to try it out. I'm not sure how long I can resist ordering it.

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
aliEnRIK:Chris ~ they silver soldered the connectors on the cable for you and put heatshrink on? How much was the cost?
VDC offer a manufacturing service with silver solder and their own phono plugs. Clicky

Here's the link to the phono plugs.

T

the record spot

Just arrived off my £5.49 Ebay purchase today - 10m of 329 strand, 2.5mm generic cable. Open, detailed, big, bold and bassy. Highly recommended.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
AL13N:aliEnRIK:Chris ~ they silver soldered the connectors on the cable for you and put heatshrink on? How much was the cost?
VDC offer a manufacturing service with silver solder and their own phono plugs. Clicky

Here's the link to the phono plugs.

Im not entirely sure thats the right cable AL13N

The others state 'SP OFC'

The one your (I assume ) on about states 'Van Damme Hi-Fi Twin Interconnect cable in blue only', it doesnt say 'UP LC OFC', and it looks different to the LC OFC lead?

kusum65

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
Thanks. I get it now the shotgun cable is linear copper crystal like the Atlas navigator im replacing it with ( to short unfortunately)

Is it 2 core with a drain wire? The Ringmat is earthed at source end only. Dont know if that will make a difference when wiring the new cable.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
the record spot:Just arrived off my £5.49 Ebay purchase today - 10m of 329 strand, 2.5mm generic cable. Open, detailed, big, bold and bassy. Highly recommended.

Youve been on here long enough to for me to know youve had your hifi quite a while. Why would you change your speaker cable given that you clearly believe they cant possibly make a difference??

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
kusum65:
Thanks. I get it now the shotgun cable is linear copper crystal like the Atlas navigator im replacing it with ( to short unfortunately)

Is it 2 core with a drain wire? The Ringmat is earthed at source end only. Dont know if that will make a difference when wiring the new cable.

Its 2 core (braided copper shield for the earth)

Not sure what you mean by a drain wire?

I dont think the altas is LC, I think its a slightly different process (Hard to tell with all the jargon)

AL13N

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
aliEnRIK:not entirely sure thats the right cable AL13N

The others state 'SP OFC'

The one your (I assume ) on about states 'Van Damme Hi-Fi Twin Interconnect cable in blue only', it doesnt say 'UP LC OFC', and it looks different to the LC OFC lead?
It's the same. Click here for more info.

The manufactured cable seems to employ heatshrink and braided (pliosil?) sleeves to tidy the breakout cables.

kusum65

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
Oh. Ive read so much jargon im probably mixing it up. The Navigator is single strand OCC whatever and the Ringmat is one of those quadstar types with four twisted wires making up the screening. Sounds pretty unnecessary in the set up its used but it sounds good.

The main thing is the Van Damme sounds straight forward bit of soldering. I still want to go with the synergy of the WBT plugs i think.

A few reviews eem to rate them more than neutriks and Eichmanns seem like a nightmare to work with.

T

the record spot

aliEnRIK:
the record spot:Just arrived off my £5.49 Ebay purchase today - 10m of 329 strand, 2.5mm generic cable. Open, detailed, big, bold and bassy. Highly recommended.

Youve been on here long enough to for me to know youve had your hifi quite a while. Why would you change your speaker cable given that you clearly believe they cant possibly make a difference??

Did I say it made a difference AR? You're jumping to the wrong conclusions again.

I bought the cheap wire to try out a theory which was that 2.5mm wire, stranded (in this case 329 as opposed to solid copper core which is the Audioquest Type IV) was just as good as any of the more expensive speaker cable out there.

I found 10m of the stuff on Ebay, £5.49 delivered and decided that this would be a good way to go to give it a try. My findings with it viz my AQ are that both are remarkably similar, which suggest to me that one needn't spend £15 a pop on QED Revelation (or the like) if one is looking for a similar performance.

So, excellent performance can be had, if one wishes, for 54.9p per metre. More typically, expect to pay around 80p-£1 a metre. As ever, it's what's in the cable that counts and not the name on the box.

The dealer, for anyone who's interested, is Digitalis Direct.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts