Shure SRH1840's fatal flaw

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
With the 1840's having been reduced to $399 by Shure recently, I picked up a pair. The WHF review is correct, they are pretty good phones, but they have a fatal flaw... the cables that come with them are terrible and ruin the phones completely.

The cables are incredibly stiff and create mechanical noise when you move your head just the slightest bit, which can be heard above soft music. The 'double wire' used (almost as thick as some power cables) is not malleable in the slightest and it's impossible to remove the kinks.
Having owned many pairs of high end phones over the years, this cable issue is a massive flaw that ruins a great pair of phones.
Sadly, I will have to return them.
Has anyone else had this same experience?

Friesiansam

With the 1840's having been reduced to $399 by Shure recently, I picked up a pair. The WHF review is correct, they are pretty good phones, but they have a fatal flaw... the cables that come with them are terrible and ruin the phones completely.

The cables are incredibly stiff and create mechanical noise when you move your head just the slightest bit, which can be heard above soft music. The 'double wire' used (almost as thick as some power cables) is not malleable in the slightest and it's impossible to remove the kinks.
Having owned many pairs of high end phones over the years, this cable issue is a massive flaw that ruins a great pair of phones.
Sadly, I will have to return them.
Has anyone else had this same experience?
If it's only the cable you have a problem with, why not replace it?

Friesiansam

The cable is specific to these phones and has unique connectors on the end for each ear cup.
Both 1840 and 1540 use the same MMCX connector.

On both the linked webpages, click on "Details".

Both 1840 and 1540 use the same MMCX connector.

On both the linked webpages, click on "Details".
As I thought, mmcx is a standard, using a non standard connection would be unlikely

Gray

If it's only the cable you have a problem with, why not replace it?
Must be what we all thought 🤔

Edit: I Just put 'Shure 1840 connector' into Google.
First thing that came up was a pair of MMCX connectors (for under £23 Inc. postage).

If you can't (or don't want to) make your own cable, there must be plenty available.

Bit ironic that they seem to be sold with a spare detachable cable....presumably of the same type??

Last edited:

Friesiansam

First thing that came up was a pair of MMCX connectors (for under £23 Inc. postage).

If you can't (or don't want to) make your own cable, there must be plenty available.

Bit ironic that they seem to be sold with a spare detachable cable....presumably of the same type??
The 1540s also come with a spare cable and ear pads. More headphone manufacturers should do the same.

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up re: the MMCX connector type. Obviously a 'standard' type of connector (not unique to Shure, a mini coax connector used in various electronics applications) but certainly an unusual choice of connector for 'over the ear' consumer headphones.
MMCX connectors are often used on 'in ears', I realize now that those are the connectors on my Shure E5's that I used years ago when I was playing on stage.
Most after market headphone cables with 2 x MMCX to 3.5mm jack's are stiff braided type cables and being cheap are probably not very good quality. IEM's use these cables as they are routed under clothing and usually have hard plastic wraps over the ear end of the cable that enables the user to that wrap the cable around the back of the ear.
Making one's own MMCX cable would be somewhat fiddly (as the connectors are so small) and should not be neccesary on a $500 headphone.
I have found a cable on Amazon that looks like it might be flexible and of decent quality and so I'll see how that works out.
I think this is a poor choice of connector by Shure on a consumer headphone. Most other manufacturers use more typical connectors such as mini XLR's and mini jacks at the ear cup ends... far easier to find good quality replacement cables when needed.
Even Sennheiser's 2 pin plugs are commonly available and much easier to work with if one decides to make a DIY cable and Beyerdynamics mini XLR connector is easy to work with... Mogami even offers a high quaity 'off the shelf' mini XLR to 3.5mm cable.

Thanks for the heads up re: the MMCX connector type. Obviously a 'standard' type of connector (not unique to Shure, a mini coax connector used in various electronics applications) but certainly an unusual choice of connector for 'over the ear' consumer headphones.
MMCX connectors are often used on 'in ears', I realize now that those are the connectors on my Shure E5's that I used years ago when I was playing on stage.
Most after market headphone cables with 2 x MMCX to 3.5mm jack's are stiff braided type cables and being cheap are probably not very good quality. IEM's use these cables as they are routed under clothing and usually have hard plastic wraps over the ear end of the cable that enables the user to that wrap the cable around the back of the ear.
Making one's own MMCX cable would be somewhat fiddly (as the connectors are so small) and should not be neccesary on a $500 headphone.
I have found a cable on Amazon that looks like it might be flexible and of decent quality and so I'll see how that works out.
I think this is a poor choice of connector by Shure on a consumer headphone. Most other manufacturers use more typical connectors such as mini XLR's and mini jacks at the ear cup ends... far easier to find good quality replacement cables when needed.
Even Sennheiser's 2 pin plugs are commonly available and much easier to work with if one decides to make a DIY cable and Beyerdynamics mini XLR connector is easy to work with... Mogami even offers a high quaity 'off the shelf' mini XLR to 3.5mm cable.
whatever, the type of connector is a standard one.
I you bought these sight unseen then I can understand your issues bu t the option is always the re to easily replace said cable.
As with all equipment auditioning is everything, if you didn't bother doing this you only have one person to blame, and that isn't Shure.

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site

Yes, the same type (both basically useless) and Shure doesnt offer any type of alternative (unlike most manufacturers). Beyerdynamic typically supplies 2 cables, one curly and one straight and both of very high quality. Making one's own cable is tricky as MMCX connectors are very small and this should not be neccessary with a $500 headphone.
Most replacement cables available on line are stiff, braided cables and are made from junk cable anyway.

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
whatever, the type of connector is a standard one.
I you bought these sight unseen then I can understand your issues bu t the option is always the re to easily replace said cable.
As with all equipment auditioning is everything, if you didn't bother doing this you only have one person to blame, and that isn't Shure.
I'm not blaming Shure. It was intended as an informational post so that others may be informed. I use a number of Shure products in a small project studio and they no doubt make excellent gear (these phones are, in fact excellent). I have a suspicion that they may have substituted the cable at some point recently due to supply chain issues.
Having recently contacted Shure, they even hinted that they are aware of the issue but are unable to offer any other substitute cable at this time (not even a compatible coiled cable).
Are you looking for some kind of appology? Perhaps report the thread and get it taken down?
OK it's a standard connector, but a bad choice for consumer headphones and uncommon for that application. Happy?

Yes, the same type (both basically useless) and Shure doesnt offer any type of alternative (unlike most manufacturers). Beyerdynamic typically supplies 2 cables, one curly and one straight and both of very high quality. Making one's own cable is tricky as MMCX connectors are very small and this should not be neccessary with a $500 headphone.
Most replacement cables available on line are stiff, braided cables and are made from junk cable anyway.
I think you are slightly biased. Presumably you have tried all of these cables available online? They are not all as you describe, depending on where you happen to live, of course.

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
I think you are slightly biased. Presumably you have tried all of these cables available online? They are not all as you describe, depending on where you happen to live, of course.
I ordered 3 different 3.5mm to MMCX headphone cables on line and none of them fit.
Shure has located the sockets up a very narrow channel about 5mm deep into the ear cups so that (unless you get really lucky) none of them will actually fit in the hole.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts