Beyerdynamic DT900 PRO X

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
I was hesitant to purchase another pair of Beyer phones as my DT880 PRO's have been disappointing, despite having been 'repaired' by Beyerdynamic (at their facility in Germany no less)... they became muddy sounding after a few months use and still are. The only way to get them to sound decent is to EQ the heck out of them (with top end added between 4 and 10K).
The DT900 PRO X has a new driver and so I thought I would give Beyer a second chance.
I have to say that the DT900 PRO X is a totally different beast than the DT880's. It's a relatively low impedance phone and is designed to do double duty as both a hi-fi listening headphone and also a critical listening 'studio' phone.
I have to say that I think Beyer has pulled it off.
They are super comfy, silent (no creaking or mechanical cable noise) and sound very good, they even come with 2 straight cables of different lengths, which is handy if you are sitting close to the equipments phone output.
I have tried them direct from the headphone out on a Yamaha R-N800a and with a Schiit Magni + connected to the Yamaha's pre out (very very slight improvement in overall clarity with the Schiit) and from both headphone outs on an Apogee Symphony desktop interface. Using a variety of listening material (Tidal hi fi plus streaming and some professionally recorded projects in Logic Pro and Pro Tools) and they do a great job of revealing the sound in accuracy and detail. They don't color the sound (unless it is already colored) and they handle high volume levels well (showing no signs of being strained or of changing the sound at high volume levels , which many phones do). They reveal user changes in reverb trails well and they easily reveal changes in compression settings when being applied.
If you are looking for a set of phones that 'over accentuate' bass response (to the detriment of clean, well balanced sound) you should perhaps look elsewhere, as these are balanced and relatively flat (which is a good thing).
No pair of phones is perfect, regardless of price. I typically check sound through monitors / a variety of headphones and ultimately through a bog standard budget hi fi amp and speakers. But these phones will prove to be a useful addition to my arsenal (AKG K701's and Sony MDR7506's are typically my go to phones) the DT900 PRO X's sit somewhere between the two and at a great price.

Reactions: Gray

Gray

I was hesitant to purchase another pair of Beyer phones as my DT880 PRO's have been disappointing, despite having been 'repaired' by Beyerdynamic (at their facility in Germany no less)... they became muddy sounding after a few months use and still are. The only way to get them to sound decent is to EQ the heck out of them (with top end added between 4 and 10K).
The DT900 PRO X has a new driver and so I thought I would give Beyer a second chance.
I have to say that the DT900 PRO X is a totally different beast than the DT880's. It's a relatively low impedance phone and is designed to do double duty as both a hi-fi listening headphone and also a critical listening 'studio' phone.
I have to say that I think Beyer has pulled it off.
They are super comfy, silent (no creaking or mechanical cable noise) and sound very good, they even come with 2 straight cables of different lengths, which is handy if you are sitting close to the equipments phone output.
I have tried them direct from the headphone out on a Yamaha R-N800a and with a Schiit Magni + connected to the Yamaha's pre out (very very slight improvement in overall clarity with the Schiit) and from both headphone outs on an Apogee Symphony desktop interface. Using a variety of listening material (Tidal hi fi plus streaming and some professionally recorded projects in Logic Pro and Pro Tools) and they do a great job of revealing the sound in accuracy and detail. They don't color the sound (unless it is already colored) and they handle high volume levels well (showing no signs of being strained or of changing the sound at high volume levels , which many phones do). They reveal user changes in reverb trails well and they easily reveal changes in compression settings when being applied.
If you are looking for a set of phones that 'over accentuate' bass response (to the detriment of clean, well balanced sound) you should perhaps look elsewhere, as these are balanced and relatively flat (which is a good thing).
No pair of phones is perfect, regardless of price. I typically check sound through monitors / a variety of headphones and ultimately through a bog standard budget hi fi amp and speakers. But these phones will prove to be a useful addition to my arsenal (AKG K701's and Sony MDR7506's are typically my go to phones) the DT900 PRO X's sit somewhere between the two and at a great price.
I thought they might have my type of sound when I read the review - you seem to confirm they do.

In light of your experience, you were more loyal to Beyer than most people would have been - glad it paid off well for you.

If I hadn't fairly recently bought Sennheiser 560S (which I suspect might be quite similar in sound) I'd have been interested in that Beyer model.....I've tried 880 and 1990 Pro.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts