Van Damme Speaker Cable Colours

giggsy1977

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
The black and blue are the same but the black outer jacket is thicker as its designed to be used on tour. The blue is for studio and home applications. The clear is 'hi-fi' cable. I have blue and clear at home as they are good quality copper and cheap. The blue is easy to work with, the clear is shotgun style cable and not easy to route as it only bends one way. In terms of audible differences between black/blue and hifi...there is a review somewhere online that claims there is a difference. However, everyone else I know who has used both claims there is no difference. I would buy the blue. 👍

Witterings

The black and blue are the same but the black outer jacket is thicker as its designed to be used on tour. The blue is for studio and home applications. The clear is 'hi-fi' cable. I have blue and clear at home as they are good quality copper and cheap. The blue is easy to work with, the clear is shotgun style cable and not easy to route as it only bends one way. In terms of audible differences between black/blue and hifi...there is a review somewhere online that claims there is a difference. However, everyone else I know who has used both claims there is no difference. I would buy the blue. 👍

Cheers for that!

If that's anything to go by, the hifi ones may not be right for me as they tend to focus on "more" bass if that review's anything to go by.

With a good recording I absolutely love my system but very low / bassy songs it can be a bit too much and become a bit muddy / dull.

Reactions: hifi
D

Deleted member 201267

Cheers for that!

If that's anything to go by, the hifi ones may not be right for me as they tend to focus on "more" bass if that review's anything to go by.

With a good recording I absolutely love my system but very low / bassy songs it can be a bit too much and become a bit muddy / dull.

Can i ask what cables you currently use ?

The blue / black versions just seem to be the same as the QED 79 strand i use but with a thicker "jacket" to prevent damage if stepped on in a studio, on stage etc.

I honestly doubt that the "HI-FI" version would differ greatly, sound quality wise, but it has more strands of copper, therefore, a lower resistance than the other models so i maybe wrong...

D

Deleted member 201267

For the length required for hifi typically 2 to 3m per stereo channel there would be no resistance difference that would affect sound quality. They will sound the same. Colour preference will be your choice. VD blue is a good cable, as good as any for sound quality. Enjoy.
So if i swapped my 3M long QED 79 strand speaker cable for bell wire, with its higher resistance, there would be no sound quality difference ?

Witterings

Can i ask what cables you currently use ?

The blue / black versions just seem to be the same as the QED 79 strand i use but with a thicker "jacket" to prevent damage if stepped on in a studio, on stage etc.

I honestly doubt that the "HI-FI" version would differ greatly, sound quality wise, but it has more strands of copper, therefore, a lower resistance than the other models so i maybe wrong...

I currently use this as I had some spare from another room

The white really stands out like a sore thumb in the main room though so wanted to change it and whilst I was doing so would probably go to 4mm as opposed to 2.5mm as one of the runs is a "reasonable" length.

D

Deleted member 201267

I currently use this as I had some spare from another room

The white really stands out like a sore thumb in the main room though so wanted to change it and whilst I was doing so would probably go to 4mm as opposed to 2.5mm as one of the runs is a "reasonable" length.
QED 79 strand is available in black or white and would be more flexible (i guess) than the Van Damme offerings if that is a consideration.

Youtube has this review that shows lengths on 10m being used with no issues.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBazP-fXQD0

Last edited by a moderator:

NSO

May 15, 2023
Visit site
Dont assume I am anti. Don't think I said anything about bell wire did I. The diameter of bell wire is not sufficient. Proper guage and OFC will do the job. VD is used in recording studios and for good reason, it does the job perfectly. Upto you what you want to spend on cables.

camcroft

Dont assume I am anti. Don't think I said anything about bell wire did I. The diameter of bell wire is not sufficient. Proper guage and OFC will do the job. VD is used in recording studios and for good reason, it does the job perfectly. Upto you what you want to spend on cables.
I am happy with all of my VD cables be they speaker or RCA cables.

NSO

May 15, 2023
Visit site
So if i swapped my 3M long QED 79 strand speaker cable for bell wire, with its higher resistance, there would be no sound quality difference ?
Did I say anthything about bell wire? No. Do a loop impedance test on each cable VD and QED let me know the huge difference you see on a 3m run of cable. If you do the cable is either faulty or has badly designed geometry of the strands.

Reactions: WayneKerr

giggsy1977

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site

Hugh Jarse

Jan 22, 2022
Visit site
If someone were to do the swap without your knowledge.....
Regardless of resistance theory, my advice would be not to bet too much money on being able to hear a difference (y)

Reactions: Noddy
I’ve posted this before, but this is what Van Damme 4mm Hifi cable (plus links) looks like on my ATCs.

These were custom made by this chap…

At the time I bought them, he was in the UK, but during COVID I think he returned home. Still very competitive pricing though.

View: https://imgur.com/kJSlW28

Last edited:

camcroft

I’ve posted this before, but this is what Van Damme 4mm Hifi cable (plus links) looks like on my ATCs.

These were custom made by this chap…

At the time I bought them, he was in the UK, but during COVID I think he returned home. Still very competitive pricing though.

View: https://imgur.com/kJSlW28
My 6mm look thicker and wider than your 4's but I know how to waste money big time :cool:

Reactions: nopiano

TRENDING THREADS