The Naim has a problem...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Hope that was written with tongue 'n' cheek?

yeah I didnt mean to the pound!

Its surprising how close all those sub £1k amps are - eg the Brio R and Nait 5i - very very close in terms of performance

If you have a £500 amp and are upgrading it needs to be sometihing substantial ie well over £1k

letsavit2

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
chebby said:
I sent my CD5i in to Naim shortly before selling the whole system.

It's LCD display border had started 'bleeding' and - although it affected nothing - I wanted the player in tip-top condition to maximise the price.

It came back to the dealer two weeks later with a new display and also completely cleaned and serviced (according to the paperwork).

It sounded better than ever when I tested it (just before photographing it and packing it for listing on ebay).

my naim cd5i had the same ink bleed on the display, I emailed naim customer support and they sent me a new one. The old one I cleaned the glue(which is what causes the bleed) I then stuck some car window tint of similar shade on the old so I now have a spare.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Overdose said:
BigH said:
Overdose said:
chebby said:
BigH said:
Looking on the Naim forum it seems to be 5 years in the UK if you register.

Well it's a good job you checked otherwise I might not have remembered that I registered my entire Naim system for the 5 year extended warranty.

The Sale of Goods Act covers you for up to six years for free.

Thats is a rather liberal view of it.

After 6 months you have to prove it is faulty and you can claim upto 6 years from purchase, that does not mean everything will be expected to laste 6 years.

And its the retailer not the manufacturer you have to claim off.

I think a CD player not reading tracks and skipping would not be too difficult to prove as a fault, also the CD player cost around a grand and should be fairly expected to last much longer than a much lower priced offering, as it would be deemed to be a premium product.

I got my washing machine repaired for nothing and it was well beyond its '1 year standard guarantee' and it was cheap tat. I simply argued that it was not of sufficient quality, which for anyone with any basic engineering knowledge could see for themselves.

The question is only wether or not a dodgy pickup is deemed fair wear and tear, and after spending the best part of a thousand pounds on a CD player, I'd be arguing not.

As i say you have to prove it, the shop may suggest you dropped it or it got damaged in transport etc. You may have to get an engineers report. Yes should last 6 years but as Ashley keeps saying they don't last long these days. So if retailer does not pay up you will have to take them to court. Not saying you won't win but its a risk, so not so straight forward as you suggest.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
BigH said:
plastic penguin said:
stevebrock said:
However, the Elicit was connected to PMC 23s and it sounded pretty darn good.

good init

once over that £1k mark amps start to sound very good - apparentyl! Bet theres not a lot in it tbh PP, when i demoed the Nait XS2 I couldnt tell them apart, the Elicit R won on matching my other gear & phono stage

Also, TBF to me and the brief dem this afternoon, I've not heard the Leema with such high calibre speakers, so my view really holds no real substance. It's just comment based my initial impression.

I've always held the belief that once you cross the £1000 threshold amps do usually jump up another notch or two.

What would say or guess, Steve, you wouldn't be disappointed if you had the Leema - and it would've saved a fair few quid to boot.

Really so the £1,000 ones are so much better than £999 ones, amazing what £1 can do. :)

Hope that was written with tongue 'n' cheek? How many amps retail at £999? But the ones I've heard Kandy K2 (£750), Creek Evo2 (£750), Naim 5i (£800) are lacking a little compared to the Leema (originally retailed for £1100) and Roksan Caspian M1 (£1100)....

Yes partly but the MF M3i is £999 i think that was not bad certainly better than a Rega Brio R, sure £1,500 amps are better than £700-£800 ones. Thought the RK Caspian is around £1500?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
This is getting blown out of proportion - PP how old is the CD5? I really think Naim will just sort this out for no questions asked! Too much scaremongering going on here!

Personally glad I got rid of my Apollo, prefer vinyl any way & strreaming when Im doing other things in the house.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
As i say you have to prove it, the shop may suggest you dropped it or it got damaged in transport etc. You may have to get an engineers report. Yes should last 6 years but as Ashley keeps saying they don't last long these days. So if retailer does not pay up you will have to take them to court. Not saying you won't win but its a risk, so not so straight forward as you suggest.

I never found the situation anything other than simple, myself. Frustrating at times maybe, but fairly straightforward to get a satifactory resolution.

With plenty of much cheaper and older fully functional CD players being available on the second hand market, it would be difficult to justify a failure in a £1000 CD player that is less than six years old.

The law is on PPs side.

stevebrock said:
This is getting blown out of proportion - PP how old is the CD5? I really think Naim will just sort this out for no questions asked! Too much scaremongering going on here!

Personally glad I got rid of my Apollo, prefer vinyl any way & strreaming when Im doing other things in the house.

Not really - the idea put forward by the wife seems logical. Don't doubt Naim can sort it but I've become disconcerted a little by cds - not an overnight thing just insidiously gnoring away over a period of a few months.

The advantage of not having a CDP is one less box, smart TT and more realistic SQ over any CDP. I just find them a little too analytical - probably age. Certainly appeals to me, although not set in stone.

BigH said:
plastic penguin said:
BigH said:
plastic penguin said:
stevebrock said:
However, the Elicit was connected to PMC 23s and it sounded pretty darn good.

good init

once over that £1k mark amps start to sound very good - apparentyl! Bet theres not a lot in it tbh PP, when i demoed the Nait XS2 I couldnt tell them apart, the Elicit R won on matching my other gear & phono stage

Also, TBF to me and the brief dem this afternoon, I've not heard the Leema with such high calibre speakers, so my view really holds no real substance. It's just comment based my initial impression.

I've always held the belief that once you cross the £1000 threshold amps do usually jump up another notch or two.

What would say or guess, Steve, you wouldn't be disappointed if you had the Leema - and it would've saved a fair few quid to boot.

Really so the £1,000 ones are so much better than £999 ones, amazing what £1 can do. :)

Hope that was written with tongue 'n' cheek? How many amps retail at £999? But the ones I've heard Kandy K2 (£750), Creek Evo2 (£750), Naim 5i (£800) are lacking a little compared to the Leema (originally retailed for £1100) and Roksan Caspian M1 (£1100)....

Yes partly but the MF M3i is £999 i think that was not bad certainly better than a Rega Brio R, sure £1,500 amps are better than £700-£800 ones. Thought the RK Caspian is around £1500?

The Caspian M1 originally retailed a tad over £1000 but a couple of price hikes saw it move towards £1500 mark before being replaced by the M2. IMO there's practically no difference, apart from tonal, between a £500 and £900 amp. Leap to a £1100 amp and the jump is audible.

I can only comment on amps I've heard.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
stevebrock said:
chebby said:
stevebrock said:
PP, A decent vinyl front end and streaming solution mate

You won't get PP within a country mile of a DAC let alone a 'streaming solution' :)

no moving parts? Transports? Errors? Whats not to like about it

You are 'preaching to the choir' in my case. I'll leave it to you to convince PP. (And will leave it to you to explain how to get it all working if you succeed!)

chebby said:
stevebrock said:
chebby said:
stevebrock said:
PP, A decent vinyl front end and streaming solution mate

You won't get PP within a country mile of a DAC let alone a 'streaming solution' :)

no moving parts? Transports? Errors? Whats not to like about it

You are 'preaching to the choir' in my case. I'll leave it to you to convince PP. (And will leave it to you to explain how to get it all working if you succeed!)

Nope - no chance of a streaming device. KISS (Keep It Simple Silly).

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Fair do's - what CD player you gonna get next then!?

And TT?

PP, when you next got to your local dealer (for a repair) listen to a Naim or Linn streamer

stevebrock said:
Fair do's - what CD player you gonna get next then!?

And TT?

PP, when you next got to your local dealer (for a repair) listen to a Naim or Linn streamer

One of the usual protaganists: Rega, ClearAudio, Pro-ject or Gyrodec.

My Rega/Naim dealer also does Linn as well. Just don't have the stomach for streamers at the moment. If I do dispense with the Naim I'll use the DVD player for cds.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
BigH said:
Watch out for all those wonky TTs.

Only applies to Rega!

PP, I reckon you should sell on the Naim CDP get a nice TT - Gyro? Oh yeah while your at it get some different speakers how about some PMC or Totem that will be a kick ass vinyl system then.

stevebrock said:
BigH said:
Watch out for all those wonky TTs.

PP, I reckon you should sell on the Naim CDP get a nice TT - Gyro? Oh yeah while your at it get some different speakers how about some PMC or Totem that will be a kick ass vinyl system then.

Haven't I already said this?

Speakers are fine for the timebeing. As I've discovered with the Naim they are so much better (tweeter-wise) than with the Arcam CDP.

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Hey PP

Sorry to hear about your Naim.

Just an aside regarding speakers - I know you have pretty much discounted the Kefs from the equation but after a rejig of my gear owed to a new rack, my r100s are sounding great about 9" from the rear wall. Could be worth a look?

TT wise, that sounds like a great plan! I am still contemplating my upgrade but reckon an outboard phono stage will do me for now as I am really loving the nas/streaming thing right now.

p_m_brown said:
Hey PP

Sorry to hear about your Naim.

Just an aside regarding speakers - I know you have pretty much discounted the Kefs from the equation but after a rejig of my gear owed to a new rack, my r100s are sounding great about 9" from the rear wall. Could be worth a look?

TT wise, that sounds like a great plan! I am still contemplating my upgrade but reckon an outboard phono stage will do me for now as I am really loving the nas/streaming thing right now.

When I visited the localish Kef dealer a few weeks back I saw the 'R' range: R100, 300 and they are strange proportions. Quite small in height but unbelievably deep. My money's still on Totem Arros or Rainmakers or PMC GB1is, as and when the time comes. I know a while back I said the Arros were off the radar but can't think of any speakers below £2000 mark that have the dinky sizes and gives me the SQ I'm after.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts