A challenge for the experts: Best entry-level record player within budget?

TazCaz

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

I've been doing my research into the world of record players. Although I grew up in the era of vinyl, I've been using digital most of my life, so I admit I have very little knowledge in this area (be gentle!).

Before I set up my own sydtem, I'm looking to buy something as a gift for a friend. My limit is £250.

I originally started looking at the Crosely players (namely the Crosley Nomad). Yes, yes, I know they are panned, but it was my first point of call, simply because my friend had seen a similar setup and liked the retro look. Also because they provide an all-in-one setup within my price range.

Certainly I don't want anything that will ruin his vinyl collection as he accumulates it, but I also don't have loads of money to spend on this gift. And I want to get him the entire system so he can use it right away, rather than blow my budget on one thing, and then him need to go and buy extra equipment himself.

A capability to burn vinyl into digital is not vital, as he'll just be starting his record collection now.

Like I said, I've very inexperience and I completely apprecite that serious audiophiles will say finding something decent at this price is "impossible" or "not worth it", and that's fine - but if anyone out there can recommend a satisfactory all-in-one or reasonably prices combination setup that costs no more than £250 (complete with recommendations of actual models), it would be very much appreciated. It doesn't have to be the most amazing thing around, just good enough to keep a newbie happy and not wuin his records.

If he chooses to update later as he gets more into vinyl, that's up to him. This is just meant as a 'starter' system. He's not a muso, a DJ, or an audo aficionado but, like me, he simply loves music and is keen to start exploring the world of vinyl.

I keep seeing the Audio Technica AT-LP120 recommended, but I don't think I can get this as an entire setup in my budget. There is also the Audio Technica AT-LP60, but I'd need advice on what extra bits and pieces I'd need (within budget). I was also looking at the Teac MC-D800 as a complete package.

I have also been recommended the Cambridge Audio Topaz AM1 amp + either Denon DP2000USB or the Marantz TT5005 + Wharfedale Diamond 9.0 or Cambridge Audio SX50 speakers as a setup. Might go just over my limit, but thoughts on these?

As I said, I appreciate this is a very difficult task - especially for serious audiophiles, who would only want to recommend the best equipment - but I'm hoping someone can remember back to when they were starting out and can suggest what they would choose if they only had £250 to spend on an entry-level setup as a gift for a friend. Of course, it doesn't have to have the 'retro look' - both he and I are more concerned about the best sound at this price range.

Thanks in advance for your help and patience. Being a newb at something is hard - but we have to start somewhere, right?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
You'll get more choice and better quality options by looking on ebay for decent TTs, amps and speakers.

As an example I picked up a mint condition, boxed pair of Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearl loudspeakers for a total of £40 about 5 years ago (including £15 for the bloke to make a 60 mile round trip to deliver them).

Decent quality, serviced, record players from the late 1970s onwards can still be found for reasonable prices (so long as you avoid the more fashionable items).

Amps are easier.

Your problem is that you don't know which brands/models to look for and it could be a minefield.

There are literally thousands of excellent permutations of great components from decent sellers out there for your budget and I would love to be able to list them all but it's impossible. Sorry.

I'll look for you later today and try to suggest one two systems that i'd like for your budget.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
For a start this Creek CAS 4040 would be an excellent amplifier for a 'starter' vinyl replay system and at £79 + p&p fits your budget...

Clicky

It has an excellent built-in phono pre-amp stage which will save you a bit of cash.

The seller provides contact details including a phone number. You can call with questions about the items's condition etc. His ratings suggest a decent seller.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
If your friend wants retro look then you can't beat buying genuine retro. I'd hunt down a Garrard SP25 mkII or III (visual condition will usually tell you how well it's been cared for) and fit it with a new inexpensive cartridge like an AT95 or OM5. For amplification I'd buy a chunky 70s/80s amp with VU meters or fluoresecent display (Fisher/Pioneer/Sony/Technics), obviously checking first it hasn't got really crackly pots or really bad hums from failed capacitors. But I'd spend most of my money on a decent pair of new speakers. I wouldn't go near vintage 70s/80s speakers unless they were guaranteed; you can't easily tell how much they've been used and abused unless there's obvious physical damage to the cones.

TazCaz

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Hi Chebby,

Thanks for your reply. Indeed you are correct when you say that I don't know which models or brands to look for. It's quite frustrating not knowing anything at all about a topic, as you are relying the patience of more knowledgeable folk and also having to wade through a mountain of online reviews, which may or may not come from trusted/knowledgeable sources. I'm certain someday I'll have a bit more experience up my sleeve, but for now, if you do have the time to suggest anything, then it would be most appreciated.

That Cambridge Audio Topaz AM1 amp + Marantz TT5005 + Cambridge Audio SX50 speakers combo was suggested by Richer Sounds as the minimum setup I could get away with. It's a bit more than I was wanting to spend, but I'd hope I could haggle down a bit. The Teac MC-D800 was an all in one package I keep seeing well reviewed online.

Anyway, if you have a moment later on to steer me in the right direction, that would be great. At this stage, I'll happily admit I know nothing, so any advice will be helpful.

Thanks again!

It's an age-old problem trying to put together a whole system on that sort of budget especially if you have not got a clue what you're looking for.

My suggestion, unless your friend knows how to set up a turntable, would be to buy this new from RicherSounds and get them to set it up for you. Then get the amp and speakers from eBay.

The Creek suggested is good and fairly bombproof, the speakers also suggested are worth looking for also, the MS 20i or if lucky the Pearl Edition. Also the Wharfdale Diamond 9 or 9.1 are very good for the money.

Please note that the ones from Richer Sounds may be a better deal as you will need a pair of speaker cables as well and they might throw some cheap ones in.

TazCaz

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Thanks AI ears,

So, if I were to buy the turntable from Richer Sounds, would you pick the Marantz TT5005 over the Denon DP2000USB? This is the one they recommended in my price range, given I don't need the USB function (and apparently has a built-in pre-amp, but still not exactly sure what that means other than I don't need to buy another piece of equipment!). The Audio Technica LP60 is also on there for £99 (down from £130), or the Sony PLSX300 (£120), or the Teac TN100 for the same price as the Marantz. Or this there another for a similar price you'd recommend over either of those?

For the amp, Chebby suggested the Creek, which comes in at £79 + £12 postage. Is that a much better buy than that Cambridge Audio Topaz AM1, also at £79 from RS, when weighing up that the Topaz is new (and maybe less likely to have problems or issues with repairs or finding parts, and would include a warranty). Also, looking at the specs online (http://www.richersounds.com/product/amplifiers-receivers/cambridge-audio/topaz-am1/camb-topaz-am1-blk), the Cambridge Audio Topaz AM1 seems to not include a bunch of things (though not sure how many of these are relevant?). Eg. is says is doesn't "have a phono stage...essential if connecting a turntable".

In reagrds to the speakers, I was originally recommended the Wharfedale 9.0s (currently £40 down from £60), but when I spoke to the guy at RS, he said the Cambridge Audio SX50 (currently £100 down from £130) would be well worth the extra money. Thoughts?

I'm seeing the MS 20i speakers on ebay for around £45-£55 as a starting price, plus about £10 delivery. Though again I am slightly wary of buying used for a product I am unfamiliar with.

I didn't even think about speaker cables (!), so as you mentioned, it might be worth purchasing everything from Richer Sounds to give myself more haggling power. I've never shopped with them before, do you know if they are open to price reductions or freebies?

And, just as an aside, I kept seeing the Teac LP-P1000 recommended on a few sites, including this one, as a good all round package, as well as the Teac MC-D800. Excuse my ignorance, but how does something like this compare to piecing a system together with the above turntable, amp and speakers? It's significantly more expensive than the novelty players like the Crosleys, but a tad cheaper than piecing it together, and has extra options like a CD player and radio.

Thanks!

TazCaz said:
Thanks AI ears,

So, if I were to buy the turntable from Richer Sounds, would you pick the Marantz TT5005 over the Denon DP2000USB? This is the one they recommended in my price range, given I don't need the USB function (and apparently has a built-in pre-amp, but still not exactly sure what that means other than I don't need to buy another piece of equipment!). The Audio Technica LP60 is also on there for £99 (down from £130), or the Sony PLSX300 (£120), or the Teac TN100 for the same price as the Marantz. Or this there another for a similar price you'd recommend over either of those?

For the amp, Chebby suggested the Creek, which comes in at £79 + £12 postage. Is that a much better buy than that Cambridge Audio Topaz AM1, also at £79 from RS, when weighing up that the Topaz is new (and maybe less likely to have problems or issues with repairs or finding parts, and would include a warranty). Also, looking at the specs online (http://www.richersounds.com/product/amplifiers-receivers/cambridge-audio...), the Cambridge Audio Topaz AM1 seems to not include a bunch of things (though not sure how many of these are relevant?). Eg. is says is doesn't "have a phono stage...essential if connecting a turntable".

In reagrds to the speakers, I was originally recommended the Wharfedale 9.0s (currently £40 down from £60), but when I spoke to the guy at RS, he said the Cambridge Audio SX50 (currently £100 down from £130) would be well worth the extra money. Thoughts?

I'm seeing the MS 20i speakers on ebay for around £45-£55 as a starting price, plus about £10 delivery. Though again I am slightly wary of buying used for a product I am unfamiliar with.

I didn't even think about speaker cables (!), so as you mentioned, it might be worth purchasing everything from Richer Sounds to give myself more haggling power. I've never shopped with them before, do you know if they are open to price reductions or freebies?

And, just as an aside, I kept seeing the Teac LP-P1000 recommended on a few sites, including this one, as a good all round package, as well as the Teac MC-D800. Excuse my ignorance, but how does something like this compare to piecing a system together with the above turntable, amp and speakers? It's significantly more expensive than the novelty players like the Crosleys, but a tad cheaper than piecing it together, and has extra options like a CD player and radio.

Thanks!

Stick with seperates for quality and ability to upgrade later.

The amplifier must have a phono preamp built in so unless you buy the turntable with an inbuilt preamp the Cambridge amp is a no go. If you bought the Topaz you would need yet another box (the phono preamp).

I understand your reluctance to go second hand but the Creek is a good solid amp. If you want new you are going to have to stretch budget and get something like the Pioneer A10 from Richer Sounds as you can connect turntable direct to this ( the Marantz).

EDIT: Just noticed the Marantz turntable does have a built in preamp so you could use it with Topaz amplifier.

Speakers wise I would stick with the Wharfdales but if you can go £99 then get the Wharfdale Diamond 9.1 currently offered by Superfi rather than the Cambridge SX50.

TazCaz

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Al ears said:
eric132 said:
most audiophiles recommend the crosley, especially the crosley cruiser for its great looks and tracking force.

Please ignore this spammer. It nonsense.

Haha yes, I figured. Always helpful when you are legitimately trying to do research and learn from more experienced folk! As someone who has been able to contribute 'expert' opinions in other forums, I have never seen the point in giving people a hard time - we were all newbies once upon a time, after all.

Anyway, thanks again for your excellent advice AI ears (and others who have helped). I do feel like I know more than I did this morning and am now definitely headed in the right direction for this purchase. Really appreciate you taking the time to help!

TazCaz

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Actually, AI ears (and Chebby) - you wouldn't happen to know anything about international brands would you, namely Australian? I'll be looking to set up a similar decent entry-level system for myself when I'm back there next month, but we seem to be quite restricted by the brands on offer.

local one where I live and another.

I've never bought a turntable, so not completly certain where to look, but it may give you an idea of the brands available, in case you can recommend any you recognise?

Thanks again!

TazCaz said:
Actually, AI ears (and Chebby) - you wouldn't happen to know anything about international brands would you, namely Australian? I'll be looking to set up a similar decent entry-level system for myself when I'm back there next month, but we seem to be quite restricted by the brands on offer.

I've never bought a turntable, so not completly certain where to look, but it may give you an idea of the brands available, in case you can recommend any you recognise?

Thanks again!

You cannot really go wrong with Project, Rega, or Avid but none of those are Australian. :)

TazCaz

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Al ears said:
TazCaz said:

Thanks again!

You cannot really go wrong with Project, Rega, or Avid but none of those are Australian. :)

Whoops - I should have clarified - they don't need to be Australian brands, just brands available in Australia! :)

eric132

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
in all seriousness, I would recommend an AT lp 60 as a beginner turntable. But if your willing to put in more money, then you can get a more advanced turntable called the AT lp 120.

eric132 said:
in all seriousness, I would recommend an AT lp 60 as a beginner turntable. But if your willing to put in more money, then you can get a more advanced turntable called the AT lp 120.

From your sites mentioned you have the usual suspects available in Oz. It's all going to come down to how much you want to spend on one.

eric132

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Al ears said:
eric132 said:

From your sites mentioned you have the usual suspects available in Oz. It's all going to come down to how much you want to spend on one.

I Think the AT's are good tables and worth mentioning, especially the at lp 120. unless you'd rather me be a spammer and suggest a jensen or crosley with cheap plastic arms on them and no counterwieght, anti-skate or alignment control.

eric132 said:
Al ears said:
eric132 said:

I Think the AT's are good tables and worth mentioning, especially the at lp 120. unless you'd rather me be a spammer and suggest a jensen or crosley with cheap plastic arms on them and no counterwieght, anti-skate or alignment control.

The LP120 is a cheap Chinese attempt at copying the Technics SL1200, and it fails miserably...... but whatever floats your boat.

eric132 said:
They're known for producing good electronics, arent they? After all, sony invented the first cd player in 1982 from what I've read. Quite innovative of japan.

They are but my point was this turntable and many other such clones are not manufactured in Japan even though it's got Audio Technica on it. It will do a job, but not as well as others.

eric132

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
They're known for producing good electronics, arent they? After all, sony invented the first cd player in 1982 from what I've read. Quite innovative of japan.

And in my opinion the LP 120 is the best in its price range of $250. It has all of the features of a more expensive turntable, even though it may not be the best there is out there.

eric132

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I agree with you that there are ofcourse better turntables out there that cost much more, But I think for the price range ($250), its a decent-good turntable.

eric132 said:
I agree with you that there are ofcourse better turntables out there that cost much more, But I think for the price range ($250), its a decent-good turntable.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion but here in the UK it costs £250 which puts it in the Rega RP1 and Project Debut III SE territory, and I know which I would rather have.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts