New Naim Purchase - The story so far

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
Many of you helped with recommentdations on what to listen to and what went well with what and for that i think you all. Eventually i bought the Naim CD5si 5si amp and kudos X2 speakers. Now it is properly run in this what i have learnt from the experience.

Not all dealers are equal. Some take great pride in what they do and some don't. I'm quite surprised at the lack of places that allow a home demo and if they do for one day only. I ended up going to three dealers and two, Frank Harvey and Creative Audio are excellent. The latter will answer emails on queries up until midnight. It is difficult when you have two excellent dealers who both stock the same kit that you eventually choose to buy. I chose the dealer who was cheaper in the end. Yes i know the other one would price match but if the first dealer hadn't offered deals then there would be no price to match so i made my choice.

I tried Audiolab and Naim and preferred the sound of the Naim and knew i could live with it. I tried Kef LS50 and a couple of neats both standmounter and floorstanders before i settled on the Kudos. People on the Naim forum recommend them and i cant argue with their comments.

So, the whole system came home, naim first them kudos a couple of weeks later. The result was outstanding. totally different to my budget system and well worth the considerable outlay currently sitting on an interest free credit card.

For those who dont think systems need running in, i think they do. It isnt a case of just getting used to the sound, the tone does change over time. The bass on a couple of Coldplay was bloated on the first couple of listens but now is taut and tight. I choose not to leave the amp on 24/7 but tun it on when i get home and turn it off when go to bed.

I know that Naim are idiosyncratic but some things are a little too much. It is nice having a pause button for the CD but why wont the play button restart playing instead of having to press the pause button again.

All in all a long but fruitful search for audio satifaction. God knows what i am going to do in a few years time when i next get the upgrade urge. To improve will take serious money.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Naim CD5si is excellent one of the best CDPs I heard in this price level .Naim Nait 5si Amp is not a bad amp however the more expensive one the

NAIT XS 2 is much better more powerful and detailed after hearing them both I found the NAIT 5si performance not convincing enough .

The combination of the CD5i and NAIT XS2 was excellent .

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
ISAC69 said:
Naim CD5si is excellent one of the best CDPs I heard in this price level .Naim Nait 5si Amp is not a bad amp however the more expensive one the

NAIT XS 2 is much better more powerful and detailed after hearing them both I found the NAIT 5si performance not convincing enough .

The combination of the CD5i and NAIT XS2 was excellent .
and sadly £700 more than the 5si. I must admitthat i didnt try it as what i bought was already over the budget i had set. Next time tho....

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
shep1968 said:
Many of you helped with recommentdations on what to listen to and what went well with what and for that i think you all. Eventually i bought the Naim CD5si 5si amp and kudos X2 speakers. Now it is properly run in this what i have learnt from the experience.

Not all dealers are equal. Some take great pride in what they do and some don't. I'm quite surprised at the lack of places that allow a home demo and if they do for one day only. I ended up going to three dealers and two, Frank Harvey and Creative Audio are excellent. The latter will answer emails on queries up until midnight. It is difficult when you have two excellent dealers who both stock the same kit that you eventually choose to buy. I chose the dealer who was cheaper in the end. Yes i know the other one would price match but if the first dealer hadn't offered deals then there would be no price to match so i made my choice.

I tried Audiolab and Naim and preferred the sound of the Naim and knew i could live with it. I tried Kef LS50 and a couple of neats both standmounter and floorstanders before i settled on the Kudos. People on the Naim forum recommend them and i cant argue with their comments.

So, the whole system came home, naim first them kudos a couple of weeks later. The result was outstanding. totally different to my budget system and well worth the considerable outlay currently sitting on an interest free credit card.

For those who dont think systems need running in, i think they do. It isnt a case of just getting used to the sound, the tone does change over time. The bass on a couple of Coldplay was bloated on the first couple of listens but now is taut and tight. I choose not to leave the amp on 24/7 but tun it on when i get home and turn it off when go to bed.

I know that Naim are idiosyncratic but some things are a little too much. It is nice having a pause button for the CD but why wont the play button restart playing instead of having to press the pause button again.

All in all a long but fruitful search for audio satifaction. God knows what i am going to do in a few years time when i next get the upgrade urge. To improve will take serious money.

Don't think it's controversial with speakers (or cartridges) but is with electronics

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi shep1968 :wave:

Hope you are happy with your new system and it gives you many hours of listening pleasure.

Totally agree with you regarding running in of new equipment, especially with Naim, even their manual says might be up to 3 to 4 weeks before its bedded in. ( can I suggest that you leave your amp on for at least a week to run in properly, you may find the sound gets even better.)

Happy listening.

:bounce:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts