The active speakers club

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Just been out to have a listen to a few studio monitors today and bought a pair of Mackie MR5 mkii's. Just quickly rigged 'em up and out of the box they sound great, they're going to need some time to run in, but for $300 or 180 quid I am impressed.

Basically these are for the garage so didn't need to be high end, bass is more than adequate (Obviously not anywhere near the output of the MR8's, but the neighbors wouldn't be too impressed), treble is very detailed.

So for roughly a quarter of what I paid for my main system, I have the Mackie's, which fresh out of the box sound like a great value package.

My job for the afty is to fish an optical cable from my Sonos, thru the basement and into the garage. I got a cheapo ($20) DAC from Amazon which will convert the signal. Was originally looking at M Audio and Fostex, but after reading a few owner reviews/comparisons went for the Mackie's.

Also heard the MR8's, Event 20/20's and Yamaha HS8's. Each had their own sound, but I was surprised at how listenable they all were, I did expect them to be too clinical.

So I'm now very intruiged as to how good a pair of 2k monitors will sound?

Thanks to this post for bringing the merits of actives to my attention.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
skippy said:
Just been out to have a listen to a few studio monitors today and bought a pair of Mackie MR5 mkii's. Just quickly rigged 'em up and out of the box they sound great, they're going to need some time to run in, but for $300 or 180 quid I am impressed.

Basically these are for the garage so didn't need to be high end, bass is more than adequate (Obviously not anywhere near the output of the MR8's, but the neighbors wouldn't be too impressed), treble is very detailed.

So for roughly a quarter of what I paid for my main system, I have the Mackie's, which fresh out of the box sound like a great value package.

My job for the afty is to fish an optical cable from my Sonos, thru the basement and into the garage. I got a cheapo ($20) DAC from Amazon which will convert the signal. Was originally looking at M Audio and Fostex, but after reading a few owner reviews/comparisons went for the Mackie's.

Also heard the MR8's, Event 20/20's and Yamaha HS8's. Each had their own sound, but I was surprised at how listenable they all were, I did expect them to be too clinical.

As you discovered, most modern monitors, the better ones anyway, are neither forward nor clinical but I doubt that will be acknowledged anytime soon, by some people at least.

For around the £2k price point, I think the Quested S7R and S8R are very much 'the British' solution at these sort of price levels and I recomend them highly. Not exactly stylish though and the exposed tweeter could be an issue.

Anything active from the likes of ATC or PMC are going to be more expensive but their are some fine products from europe, the Adam S series and the latest Genelecs are supposedly very good though in the case of the Genelecs, I have not heard the new models.

Quested S7R

7.jpg

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
skippy said:

Good to hear that you're happy with your new purchase. :dance:

I don't know where the misconception that active speakers sound 'clinical' came from but it's simply not true at all in my experience. They just sound like passive speakers but a bit clearer and with more dynamic range.

If you haven't heard any £2K active speakers then you're in for a real treat when you do. Stick the Event Opals, Quested S7R, AVI ADM9 and Genelecs on your 'must audition' list.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
davedotco said:
As you discovered, most modern monitors, the better ones anyway, are neither forward nor clinical but I doubt that will be acknowledged anytime soon, by some people at least...

I think people are slowly come round to the benefits that active speakers can bring to sound quality. I can't ever see them replacing passive systems for everyone but active speakers are becoming more common in domestic settings.

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Optical cable's thru to the garage now and I've temporarily set the Mackie's up on a shelf. I feel slightly guilty that I have this level of clarity in my garage.

I walked out into the road just to have a soundcheck and I've set the volume on the speakers at 50% just in the event that I max the volume on the Sonos and get a visit from the local peace officers. I've even set the low frequency level to minimum to make them a little more discrete.

So tomorrows job is to fab up a pair of wall mounts, they are rear ported so I'm going to try and give them some room to breathe.

My Sonos is now maxxed out feeding my main amp (which also has a pair of speakers in the garden), I have a coax feeding my AV amp in the basement and then the optical out is hooked up to the baby Mackie's, granted I don't have the flexibility of being able to play different music in each zone, but I'm chuffed with this set up.

Time for a beer :cheers:

byakuya83

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
byakuya83 said:
http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/asb-2-range/asb-2/ New product from Monitor Audio; fully-active, Airplay compatible soundbar with HDMI.

The ASB-2 received 5 stars in this month's mag.

byakuya83

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/526-peachtree-audio-deepblue-review/comments4.html#comments

Does this count as active? Peachtree's deepblue, appears to receive a gushing review from Computer Audiophile.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
byakuya83 said:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/526-peachtree-audio-deepblue-review/comments4.html#comments Does this count as active? Peachtree's deepblue, appears to receive a gushing review from Computer Audiophile.

Nice price.

Looks like it may ve fully active. No mention of active crossovers, but

"Power: 240-watt 5-channel amplifier"

seems to suggest that each driver is driven separately.

byakuya83

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
According to the link, 4 x 30w for the mids/tweeters and 1 x 120w for the 6.5" woofer. Apparently they were happy to sacrifice features to retain simplicity, sound quality and ensure they hit their intended price.

tone

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Well someone help me out here

I tried the arcam a19 with Martin Logan motions and it was a great match but a bit overkill for my 180sq foot room with a listening distance of 10 feet

Plus I want to be able to easily transfer speakers into my bedroom as well

Do the Adams compare ?

Waste of money ?

One thing I can say is the Adams are kinda ugly lol

Cheers

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
AVI is now shipping the new ADM5

- smaller than ADM9, no dac/preamp/remote control, single RCA (or XLR) input

- active, class D amps

- 5 inch woofer

- wood veneers

- signal sensing power on/off

- 700gbp delivered

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
These have been mentioned elsewhere and are, well, a bit German.

nupro_a-100.jpg

These are the new Nubert A-100, bottom of a range of three models starting at just €285 each.

Fully active, even the smallest model has 60+60 watts, they all have onboard DSP taking care of the crossover and EQ, multiple digital (usb, SPDIF RCA and Toslink) and analogue inputs.

Also remote control and rather nice gloss black or white finish. if they sound as good as they look............

Available direct, http://www.nubert.de/nupro-serie-neu/420/

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
AlmaataKZ said:
altruistic.lemon said:
shooter said:
lautsprecher_stereo_grimm_audio_ls1_bild_1336467324.jpg

Grimm Audio LS1

http://www.grimmaudio.com/pro-products/loudspeaker/ls1/
Apart from being as ugly as sin they're also a cool €18000.

Is that before the sub is added?

18.000 EUR as you see them on the picture. Including the subs, the price reaches a cool, erm, make that: icecold 25.000 EUR.

I still want to have a listen someday...

daveh75

Another inexpensive option from Studiospares.

Trojan Aktiv Series - Available in 3 sizes and a sub

248910_l.jpg

Aktiv 5 have 3/4" tweeter and 5" bass driver with 25w/50w amps. £175 the pair

Aktiv 6 have 1" tweeter and 6" bass driver with 30/60w amps. £200 the pair

Aktiv8 have 1" tweeter and 8" bass driver with 45/90w amps. £249 the pair

Aktiv8Sub has 8" bass driver and 90w amp. £174

http://www.studiospares.com/search?q=studiospares+aktiv&searchsubmit=Search&type=speakers

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Quad are making little actives again...

http://www.whathifi.com/news/quad-gets-active-with-compact-9as-speakers-with-built-in-dac

Quad_9AS_black.jpg

(With built in DAC and remote control.)

Interesting read.

I know Quad's last active speakers (based on 11Ls) were 'true' actives. I am assuming these are too. Quad list seperate LF and HF amps in their product sheet specifications section... http://www.quad-hifi.co.uk/Product.aspx?lang=En&Tab=53 .... so it is highly likely they are active and not 'powered'. Analogue inputs too :)

Good price. (£600 per pair.)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
chebby said:
Quad are making little actives again...

http://www.whathifi.com/news/quad-gets-active-with-compact-9as-speakers-with-built-in-dac

Quad_9AS_black.jpg

(With built in DAC and remote control.)

Interesting read.

I know Quad's last active speakers (based on 11Ls) were 'true' actives. I am assuming these are too. Quad list seperate LF and HF amps in their product sheet specifications section... http://www.quad-hifi.co.uk/Product.aspx?lang=En&Tab=53 .... so it is highly likely they are active and not 'powered'. Analogue inputs too :)

Good price. (£600 per pair.)

Interesting.

In terms of functionality it appears to mimic the AVI ADM9 series.

Fully active two way speakers configured in a 'master/slave' configuration with a multi input digital and analogue pre-amp in the right speaker.

A little less than half the cost of the ADM 9, though smaller and less powerful.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts