The active speakers club

Page 53 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Have just picked them up!

Also waved bye to the SCM11s. They are en route down south before shipping off to the U.S (I think). Old speaker stands are up for sale now (too low and bulky). Nord also up for sale. Only problem now is cabling.... I've just ordered longer stretches of XLR (one 5m and one 2m). The power cables should be fine as there's easy access to power sockets. Who said that going active reduces cables! The new XLRs won't be here for at least a week!!! *biggrin*

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Paulq said:
I'd also be really interested to hear anyone's views on the ATC SCM19as.

Very very good but expensive. I'd rather go the the ATC scm20asl as it's a standpoint has a better amp and is sweet as ever. I'd buy one tomorrow if I had the cash

Thanks - I didn't even know they existed so that's a real help.

I'll probably end up looking at the SCM19a's though and will be arranging a demo in the next week or so - if I can listen to the SCM20ASL as well then that's a bonus.

It will be interesting to compare them with the Linn 'Aktiv' setup that I currently have as that is crystal clear.

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Paulq,

I found Linn with ATC (via Nord) ruthlessly revealing. Mostly it was brilliant but on occasions, almost too much of a good thing!

I imagine the 19a may give a more holistic presentation than the 20a which is essentially a studio monitor. I would think you’d be hearing what a singer had eaten for lunch with the 20 paired with the Linn.

Hope you get to hear both, though. I’m looking forward to to your comparison with Linn aktiv speakers!

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Paulq said:
Andrewjvt said:
Paulq said:
I'd also be really interested to hear anyone's views on the ATC SCM19as.

Very very good but expensive. I'd rather go the the ATC scm20asl as it's a standpoint has a better amp and is sweet as ever. I'd buy one tomorrow if I had the cash

Thanks - I didn't even know they existed so that's a real help.

I'll probably end up looking at the SCM19a's though and will be arranging a demo in the next week or so - if I can listen to the SCM20ASL as well then that's a bonus. 

It will be interesting to compare them with the Linn 'Aktiv' setup that I currently have as that is crystal clear.

The 20s are a better speaker imo but not much in it at all having listened on numerous occasions to both.

The 20 pro has a lf trim which is useful.

Here's the whathifi review
https://www.whathifi.com/atc/scm20asl-pro/review

Blue link

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
The 20s are a better speaker imo but not much in it at all having listened on numerous occasions to both.

Here's the whathifi review https://www.whathifi.com/atc/scm20asl-pro/review

Blue link

Thank you. Whilst I have never heard studio monitors I have read lots on here from people far more knowledgeable than I who describe them as at the far end of revealing. I am not sure I'd like that to be honest.

Whilst I like clarity, the setup and sound I have right now is probably optimal for me and the only reason for me to even consider changing would be to try and replicate that whilst moving away from Linn's absurd, and costly, Exakt offerings

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Pedro2 said:
Paulq,

I found Linn with ATC (via Nord) ruthlessly revealing. Mostly it was brilliant but on occasions, almost too much of a good thing!

Sounds to me like you're a candidate for an Arcam P49 (as reviewed by Ellis). *diablo*

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Paulq said:
Andrewjvt said:

Here's the whathifi review https://www.whathifi.com/atc/scm20asl-pro/review

Blue link

Thank you.  Whilst I have never heard studio monitors I have read lots on here from people far more knowledgeable than I who describe them as at the far end of revealing. I am not sure I'd like that to be honest. 

Whilst I like clarity, the setup and sound I have right now is probably optimal for me and the only reason for me to even consider changing would be to try and replicate that whilst moving away from Linn's absurd, and costly, Exakt offerings

I understand
So would recommend you give them a listen
I find them very musical and non(typical studio monitor stereotypes) fatigue.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Are getting in a pair of JBL 708p end November
Are slightly cheaper than ATC scm20asl

Best to wait but I have serious buy something now sickness

My new house is crap soundwise from my old one also

Pedro

May 31, 2016
Visit site
I know the feeling (of buy something now and bad acoustics)!

Sometimes I think about a subwoofer, but it's a suspended wooden floor flat. My neighbours would kill me. Then again some of them sometimes make some noise.

Ever since I listened to the JBL LSR305s in a guitar shop I wonder about their other models...

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
I am planning to demo the SCM20A's next week and also the Linn Akudorik Exakt as I have always wanted to hear those. Ideally, I was after a listen to the SCM19a's but that's actually proved quite troublesome and the dealer I am travelling to has also recommended the 20's over the 19's.

I will have a listen to the 19's with some Naim kit at the weekend but that's not really a basis for a buy decision as my source is different.

So I have booked Monday off and it's butties and flask in a rucksack and a day in the demo room
devil_smile.png

I'll be very interested to see how they both perform alongside my Activ Katans setup.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Paulq said:
I am planning to demo the SCM20A's next week and also the Linn Akudorik Exakt as I have always wanted to hear those. Ideally, I was after a listen to the SCM19a's but that's actually proved quite troublesome and the dealer I am travelling to has also recommended the 20's over the 19's.

I will have a listen to the 19's with some Naim kit at the weekend but that's not really a basis for a buy decision as my source is different.

So I have booked Monday off and it's butties and flask in a rucksack and a day in the demo room 

Good luck
You'll either love them or hate them.

Make sure they are the black mk11s
About 35 kg each one

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Hi Paul,

Sounds brilliant; butties, flask and active auditions. I'm looking forward to your thoughts, especially whether you find the sound detailed and delicate, detailed and brutish or somewhere inbetween (ATC 20a).

Also intrigued by your Linn Exakt expedition and the comparison with the ATC experience. Sounds to me like you could do with a week more than a day. All the best

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Pedro2 said:
Paulq,

Sounds to me like you're a candidate for an Arcam P49 (as reviewed by Ellis). *diablo*

Must get round to reading the Ellis reviews. I'm sure the P49 is a delicate beast but for the moment, the passive boat has sailed. I'm now the proud owner of the AE1a. I will state my thoughts when I get the XLR cables but first impressions using cheapo long run+short run of phono interconnects are very favourable. Was dreading switching then on, firing up the Linn and thinking 'oh s@@t what on earth have I sold my great kit and bought these for!!!' However..... this thought has not entered my head and I'm thinking 'how can these speakers sound so good at this price??' More to follow....

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Pedro2 said:
Hi Paul,

Sounds brilliant; butties, flask and active auditions. I'm looking forward to your thoughts, especially whether you find the sound detailed and delicate, detailed and brutish or somewhere inbetween (ATC 20a).

Also intrigued by your Linn Exakt expedition and the comparison with the ATC experience. Sounds to me like you could do with a week more than a day. All the best

Yep I do enjoy those days out for a variety of reasons and am very much looking forward to hearing both setups, despite being a little terrified of hearing the Exakt Akudorkis because I know I will just want them.

I am now going on Friday, not Monday, will keep you posted.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Pedro2 said:
CnoEvil said:
Pedro2 said:
Paulq,

Sounds to me like you're a candidate for an Arcam P49 (as reviewed by Ellis). *diablo*

Must get round to reading the Ellis reviews. I'm sure the P49 is a delicate beast but for the moment, the passive boat has sailed. I'm now the proud owner of the AE1a. I will state my thoughts when I get the XLR cables but first impressions using cheapo long run+short run of phono interconnects are very favourable. Was dreading switching then on, firing up the Linn and thinking 'oh s@@t what on earth have I sold my great kit and bought these for!!!' However..... this thought has not entered my head and I'm thinking 'how can these speakers sound so good at this price??' More to follow....

I thought the same like you when I changed from atc scm11s to studio monitors JBL lsr305

Until I recently listened to ATC 40s and I almost cried

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
I thought the same like you when I changed from atc scm11s to studio monitors JBL lsr305

Until I recently listened to ATC 40s and I almost cried

I've never heard a pair, but from what I've read, they strike me as a bit of a hifi bargain (even at the price).

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
[/quote]

I've never heard a pair, but from what I've read, they strike me as a bit of a hifi bargain (even at the price).

[/quote]

Sorry but not sure which one’s the bargain. The ATCs?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Paulq said:
It's the SCM40a's that I am demoing tomorrow, not the SCM20a's - dealer error 

They are great- strongly recommend taking in your own preamp and dac/source etc.

Me personally
I still prefer the 20spro mk11s
If I want larger I go for 100s

But your in for a treat
Enjoy

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Paulq said:
It's the SCM40a's that I am demoing tomorrow, not the SCM20a's - dealer error

They are great- strongly recommend taking in your own preamp and dac/source etc.

Me personally I still prefer the 20spro mk11s If I want larger I go for 100s

But your in for a treat Enjoy

I'll be hearing like for like as they are a Linn dealer so all being hooked up via an Akurate DSM. I can't wait.
regular_smile.png

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
As an aside if I were to buy the ATC's then I would need to buy cables and I assume that I'd use the balanced Pre-Out on the ADSM to the Male XLR on the ATC's?

I'd need roughly 3.5m either side - are there specific cables I need and any tips where to get them from?

Ta v. much.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts