• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

The active speakers club

Page 55 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Paulq

Well-known member
Dec 2, 2007
309
9
18,895
Romulus said:
From other peoples impressions ATC 40 A and ATC 19A are great sonic speakers, but my slight worry is that in regard to ATC 40A quite a few people say it does not come to its own until one hears them from middle volume to high, however one reviewer praised the ATC 19A (Branski) as being able to sound just as good on more modest volumes. I just wondered if any one else have heard the ATC 19A at all volume levels and what impressions they formed. Maybe ATC speakers were not designed for modern apartments where sound travels more freely between walls..?
It's actually very interesting you should ask as, when I A/B'd them on Saturday there was another guy came in the shop wanting to hear them and asked me if I minded if he sat in whilst I listened. Both the 19's and 40's were given a bit of a leathering by the rep in the shop and I have to say handled it very well. However, the guy who came in with me kept insisting he turned them down to more moderate levels for a while. It was a good shout.

I have to say that I thought they were still excellent and didn't lose any of their punch or detail as you can sometimes experience when they are not being driven so hard. Again, there was no doubt in my mind that the 40 is the better speaker (no surprises).

I haven't actually gone ahead and ordered anything yet as I still have the nagging doubt that both of them may be too big for my current room. I am taking a leaf out of Pedro2's book and having a listen to the AE1's and also Kef LS50w's on Friday and I'll decide after that.

For anyone with the right sized room (and wallet), I wouldn't hesitate to recommend both the 19's and 40's. The only other speaker I have ever been so impressed with (and for different reasons) was the Kudos Super 20's. I'd love to own a pair of those active but it would mean all the Linn Exakt nonsense.
 

Pedro2

Well-known member
Nov 29, 2010
42
0
18,540
Paulq,

I'm impressed with the range of speakers that you are demoing..... AE1a and LS50w on Friday! I'm looking forward to what you think. I've not had chance to compare the AE1a to anything other than the passive SCM11 and they came out on top in my opinion although it was far from night and day (I believe that top rated speakers such as ATCs, KEFs, Harbeth, PMC etc can all perform well in their own right and it comes down to what 'flavour' you prefer at the time). I'll save my review of the AE1a for when the XLR cables arrive (hopefully this side of Christmas!)

The issue of size (and expense) definitely influenced my thoughts about the ATC actives. I would loved to have heard them but was aware that in a room 4m square with low ceiling, the floor standers could easily have been overkill. The SCM11s were rarely played anywhere near their optimum sound levels but were capable of much more, especially with the Nord.

You will probably be underwhelmed by the size of the KEfs and AEs after the ATCs (I do love the industrial, heavyweight build) and you may find them too small for your own room at home. However, despite their diminutive size, the sound is big and bold. You will also recognise the active open, uncoloured signature. One last thought; I didn't demo the LS50w as I considered many of its features unnecessary when the source is a Linn streamer. That is unless you fancy ditching the Linn as well *diablo* Have fun on Friday!
 

Andrewjvt

New member
Jun 18, 2014
99
1
0
Pedro2 said:
Paulq,

I'm impressed with the range of speakers that you are demoing..... AE1a and LS50w on Friday! I'm looking forward to what you think. I've not had chance to compare the AE1a to anything other than the passive SCM11 and they came out on top in my opinion although it was far from night and day (I believe that top rated speakers such as ATCs, KEFs, Harbeth, PMC etc can all perform well in their own right and it comes down to what 'flavour' you prefer at the time). I'll save my review of the AE1a for when the XLR cables arrive (hopefully this side of Christmas!)

The issue of size (and expense) definitely influenced my thoughts about the ATC actives. I would loved to have heard them but was aware that in a room 4m square with low ceiling, the floor standers could easily have been overkill. The SCM11s were rarely played anywhere near their optimum sound levels but were capable of much more, especially with the Nord.

You will probably be underwhelmed by the size of the KEfs and AEs after the ATCs (I do love the industrial, heavyweight build) and you may find them too small for your own room at home. However, despite their diminutive size, the sound is big and bold. You will also recognise the active open, uncoloured signature. One last thought; I didn't demo the LS50w as I considered many of its features unnecessary when the source is a Linn streamer. That is unless you fancy ditching the Linn as well *diablo* Have fun on Friday!
can you give me a more indepth explaination of the differences between the atc scm11 and the active ae?

What stood out for you etc?
 

Andrewjvt

New member
Jun 18, 2014
99
1
0
My contenders

ATC SCM20ASL - Best sounding ive heard (Book Shelf)

ATC SCM50 or 100 (2nd hand) or brand new Pro - much more refined than the 20s as 3 way less strain on the delivery

JBL LSR708p - will be available for demo end oct to mid november

Dark Horse - Adam SV3 (as a cheaper alternative to scm 50 or 100) 3 way high quality

and a new short list Dynaudio Focus XD 20 - very appealing as can do away with the benchmark altogether and save loads of cash as have possibly better sound than atc scm20 as it has dsp

The newer models are getting me more interested as time goes on as with intergrated dsp etc the atcs are looking a little outdated but still when I listen to them im always saying to myself -just get atc and be finished
 

Pedro2

Well-known member
Nov 29, 2010
42
0
18,540
Apologies to all for the reticence and delay in sharing my thoughts on the AE1a as well as how they compare with the SCM11 but I’m holding back for arrival of some decent cables. The Linn streamer/ preamp can operate in fully balanced mode with XLR and these were used between pre and power amp with the ATCs so I’m hoping to squeeze a little more out of the new kit before sharing thoughts and impressions.

At this rate, Paulq will be sharing his thoughts on these speakers before me!

What I can say without hesitation is that, good as the SCM11/Nord combo was, in our listening room (small), the AEa sound better at low to medium volume. The same (or more) level of detail is there but with more finesse. It may be down to the match between the internal amps and speaker drivers. I honestly don’t know but anyway, more to follow.......
 

Andrewjvt

New member
Jun 18, 2014
99
1
0
Found a dealer with dynaudio focus xd20 in stock and close to my usual pro speaker shop so a trip up north for the jbl708p/dynaudio lyd in about a months time and down south for Adam audio s series v ATC then a hifi shop for dynaudio xd20(they also stock Avi dm10 so I can compare also)

I'm totally unbiased at this stage and if the dynaudio xd20 is really good will sell the benchmark to make funds. It's definitely the best looking
 

Paulq

Well-known member
Dec 2, 2007
309
9
18,895
I spent this afternoon listening to the AE1's and the Kef LS50w's side by side. On the Kefs I was streaming from Tidal using the Kef app and with the AE1's I was using one of the (very impressive) Naim Uniti Atoms and the Naim app as the control point.

Short summary - both of these are very very impressive and the beauty of the demo setup was that I could actually listen to the same track whilst switching between the 2 speakers very quickly. The Naim gear looks very impressive and sounded equally so, albeit that I began to encounter that rather tiresome 'edginess' that I don't like in Naim equipment after about 30 minutes or so. That's just my personal view of their sound and always has been - otherwise it's very very good indeed.

The Kefs are excellent, no doubt. They are just not for me and, reminiscent of my above experience with Naim I had a similar view with the Kefs in that they seem a little lacking in detail for my taste. However, I would say that they are probably the best Kef speaker I have listened to and I can fully understand why some love them.

I loved the AE1's - in every respect. For the price, they are quite incredible and I have already decided that I am going to buy some in the next week. I don't think they can quite match the tonal accuracy and levels of detail of the Linn Aktiv/Katan setup I have but that's more than 6x expensive so I can forgive them. They are just thoroughly enjoyable and my master plan is to use them until I can afford active ATC's then I'll move the AE's to be on the end of my Majik system as I am sure they will do that justice.

Pedro2 and I will be system 'twins'.

Out of all that I have listened to in the last week, the ATC SCM40a is by far and away the best of them but at £6800 that's no surprise. I want them (and will have them
) but right now I can neither afford them or have the room size to really do them justice.

So, within a week I suspect I'll be one box down, several cables down and about £3k better off with not a lot lost sound quality wise. Life isn't so bad and the universe doesn't end at Waterfoot, Glasgow after all.


Enjoy the weekend.
 

CnoEvil

New member
Aug 21, 2009
556
8
0
Very interesting.

Neither speaker was being fed by a DS.....which is where the majik is ( *blush* )
 

lindsayt

New member
Apr 8, 2011
16
2
0
Active ATC 40's are OK speakers.

I think that active ATC's start getting good from the 50 model upwards. Good in a way that I can understand why many owners are happy with them. Even though they are not my cup of tea.

There's a pair of active 50's and a pair of active 100's on UK ebay now for £4.5k.

Makes no sense to me to buy 40's for £6.8k. Especially with ATC having such a great reputation for customer service and fixing any faults in the unlikely event that anything goes wrong with them.
 

Andrewjvt

New member
Jun 18, 2014
99
1
0
lindsayt said:
Active ATC 40's are OK speakers.

 

I think that active ATC's start getting good from the 50 model upwards. Good in a way that I can understand why many owners are happy with them. Even though they are not my cup of tea.

 

There's a pair of active 50's and a pair of active 100's on UK ebay now for £4.5k.

Makes no sense to me to buy 40's for £6.8k. Especially with ATC having such a great reputation for customer service and fixing any faults in the unlikely event that anything goes wrong with them.
That's the reason I'm holding out but I think the op has not the size for the beasts
 

Pedro2

Well-known member
Nov 29, 2010
42
0
18,540
Sounds like you had an enjoyable time yesterday Paulq!

Very interesting post too. I’m glad that someone’s compared the KEFs and AEs side by side as the LS50w were briefly on my radar until I realised that they would make my Linn DSM redundant; a step too far.

I’m also pleased that you came to the same conclusions re the AE1a as me. For the money, they are an absolute steal and regardless of price, are hard to fault. I hope to describe them in more detail by the end of the week (cables permitting) but if one word is to sum them up, it would be ‘musical’. Nothing grabs your attention where it shouldn’t, except the music. Job done! Anyway, I also believe that on the end of your Akurate, they will sound even better than when you heard them in the shop (along with the other Linnies here).

I’m not sure now whether I wish I’d heard the active ATCs like yourself. My wallet is definitely happier!

Good luck with your sales. Mine went very well. The SCM11s fetched half price (they had some minor wear and tear). And the Nord fetched an amazing price (>80% of new listing). Let us know what you think when the AEs arrive
 

Paulq

Well-known member
Dec 2, 2007
309
9
18,895
Pedro2 said:
Sounds like you had an enjoyable time yesterday Paulq!

Very interesting post too. I’m glad that someone’s compared the KEFs and AEs side by side as the LS50w were briefly on my radar until I realised that they would make my Linn DSM redundant; a step too far.

I’m also pleased that you came to the same conclusions re the AE1a as me. For the money, they are an absolute steal and regardless of price, are hard to fault. I hope to describe them in more detail by the end of the week (cables permitting) but if one word is to sum them up, it would be ‘musical’. Nothing grabs your attention where it shouldn’t, except the music. Job done! Anyway, I also believe that on the end of your Akurate, they will sound even better than when you heard them in the shop (along with the other Linnies here).

I’m not sure now whether I wish I’d heard the active ATCs like yourself. My wallet is definitely happier!

Good luck with your sales. Mine went very well. The SCM11s fetched half price (they had some minor wear and tear). And the Nord fetched an amazing price (>80% of new listing). Let us know what you think when the AEs arrive
Thanks Pedro and I agree with what you say. The biggest issue I am having is actually selling the Linn stuff as I have listed it at a really low start point and haven't had much interest; probably because it would still need a suitable source adding. I am not going to give it away so next steps are entirely dependant upon that being successful really.

 

davedotco

New member
Apr 24, 2013
20
0
0
The qualities you describe, the ability for the speaker to dissappear leaving just the music, is common to many of the better active speakers, you hear 'through' them, not 'to' them!

My Adam speakers completely dissappear at virtually any volume level from background to really quite loud, the 'hear through' quality that I prize quite highly is there in abundance.
 

Andrewjvt

New member
Jun 18, 2014
99
1
0
davedotco said:
The qualities you describe, the ability for the speaker to dissappear leaving just the music, is common to many of the better active speakers, you hear 'through' them, not 'to' them!

My Adam speakers completely dissappear at virtually any volume level from background to really quite loud, the 'hear through' quality that I prize quite highly is there in abundance.
Have you heard the s series Adams?
I like the idea of the 3 way design and dedicated mid range dome.
 

davedotco

New member
Apr 24, 2013
20
0
0
Andrewjvt said:
davedotco said:
The qualities you describe, the ability for the speaker to dissappear leaving just the music, is common to many of the better active speakers, you hear 'through' them, not 'to' them!

My Adam speakers completely dissappear at virtually any volume level from background to really quite loud, the 'hear through' quality that I prize quite highly is there in abundance.
Have you heard the s series Adams? I like the idea of the 3 way design and dedicated mid range dome.
Only the discontinued S1x, and not at home. Never heard any of the 3 ways with the midrange dome, interestingly Adam's bigger monitors do not use the dome but a larger version of the X-Art driver.

My experience of ATCs three way models is primarily of older models, probably not relevant.
 

Andrewjvt

New member
Jun 18, 2014
99
1
0
Over next few weeks
Avi dm10 v dynaudio xd20
Adam sv3 v ATC scm20asl/scm50asl
Jbl 708p v dynaudio lyd 7/8
Guy in the pro shop I deal with told me that Adam and ATC very different sound so will be interesting.

If I had to buy blind right now in leaning towards dynaudio xd20 for the shear ease and cost saving.

Interesting new regards AVI
On the FB page last night
Dm12s soon to be available in UK
I think around the £3000 mark with (get this) new improved amp and an improved dac (would have been happier if they stuck to all cheap phone DACs sound just as good but hey)
Will still be a very good speaker

Have to add AVI Dm12 to this list now
Excited to hear this one
 

Andrewjvt

New member
Jun 18, 2014
99
1
0
Added to the list of demo before I buy.
This one could be a killer with the extra bass output.
Can't wait to listen to this one
 

insider9

Well-known member
Sep 20, 2016
739
298
5,270
Andrewjvt said:
Over next few weeks
Avi dm10 v dynaudio xd20
Adam sv3 v ATC scm20asl/scm50asl
Jbl 708p v dynaudio lyd 7/8
Guy in the pro shop I deal with told me that Adam and ATC very different sound so will be interesting.

If I had to buy blind right now in leaning towards dynaudio xd20 for the shear ease and cost saving.

Interesting new regards AVI
On the FB page last night
Dm12s soon to be available in UK
I think around the £3000 mark with (get this) new improved amp and an improved dac (would have been happier if they stuck to all cheap phone DACs sound just as good but hey)
Will still be a very good speaker

Have to add AVI Dm12 to this list now
Excited to hear this one
Very exciting! Don't you fancy AE1 Active?
 

Electro

Well-known member
Mar 30, 2011
43
2
18,545
A new active speaker from PMC the Result 6 is now available at the more friendly price of £2394 a pair.

http://sxpro.co.uk/pmc-result6-pair

https://pmc-speakers.com/products/professional/active/result6

Available Finishes: RAL 7022 Crossover Frequency: 2kHz Dimensions: H380 x W199 x D360 (mm) Drive Units: HF 27mm Soft Dome
LF 170mm (6.5 inch), doped natural fibre Effective ATL™ Length: 1.5m (4.9ft) Frequency Response: 45Hz - 22kHz Impedance: >8kΩ Input Connectors: Balanced analogue XLR, wired Pin-1 screen Weight: 8kg (17.6lbs) Amplifier Power per Channel: HF 65Wrms
LF 100Wrms

I bet they sound good too.
 

Andrewjvt

New member
Jun 18, 2014
99
1
0
Electro said:
A new active speaker from PMC the Result 6 is now available at the more friendly price of £2394 a pair.

http://sxpro.co.uk/pmc-result6-pair

https://pmc-speakers.com/products/professional/active/result6

Available Finishes: RAL 7022 Crossover Frequency: 2kHz Dimensions: H380 x W199 x D360 (mm) Drive Units: HF 27mm Soft DomeLF 170mm (6.5 inch), doped natural fibre Effective ATL™ Length: 1.5m (4.9ft) Frequency Response: 45Hz - 22kHz Impedance: >8kΩ Input Connectors: Balanced analogue XLR, wired Pin-1 screen Weight: 8kg (17.6lbs) Amplifier Power per Channel: HF 65WrmsLF 100Wrms

I bet they sound good too.

 

 
 

 

 

 
Are they designed to be listened to at a closer distance than the PMC hifi speakers?

Also do you know what amps are in the twotwo6?
 

radiorog

Well-known member
Jan 1, 2013
54
0
10,540
Andrewjvt said:
Over next few weeks
Avi dm10 v dynaudio xd20
Adam sv3 v ATC scm20asl/scm50asl
Jbl 708p v dynaudio lyd 7/8
Guy in the pro shop I deal with told me that Adam and ATC very different sound so will be interesting.

If I had to buy blind right now in leaning towards dynaudio xd20 for the shear ease and cost saving.

Interesting new regards AVI
On the FB page last night
Dm12s soon to be available in UK
I think around the £3000 mark with (get this) new improved amp and an improved dac (would have been happier if they stuck to all cheap phone DACs sound just as good but hey)
Will still be a very good speaker

Have to add AVI Dm12 to this list now
Excited to hear this one
Will be very interested to hear your thoughts on the dynaudio focus actives, and whether you think they would better the ATC19 with a decent £2-3K amp.
 

Electro

Well-known member
Mar 30, 2011
43
2
18,545
Andrewjvt said:
Electro said:
A new active speaker from PMC the Result 6 is now available at the more friendly price of £2394 a pair.

http://sxpro.co.uk/pmc-result6-pair

https://pmc-speakers.com/products/professional/active/result6

Available Finishes: RAL 7022 Crossover Frequency: 2kHz Dimensions: H380 x W199 x D360 (mm) Drive Units: HF 27mm Soft DomeLF 170mm (6.5 inch), doped natural fibre Effective ATL™ Length: 1.5m (4.9ft) Frequency Response: 45Hz - 22kHz Impedance: >8kΩ Input Connectors: Balanced analogue XLR, wired Pin-1 screen Weight: 8kg (17.6lbs) Amplifier Power per Channel: HF 65WrmsLF 100Wrms

I bet they sound good too.
Are they designed to be listened to at a closer distance than the PMC hifi speakers?

Also do you know what amps are in the twotwo6?
More info on them here.

https://pmc-speakers.com/sites/default/files/attachments/web-result6-brochure-v2_0.pdf

They are a no frills active speaker without DSP and some of the other refinements the Two Two series have .

They probably use very similar amps to the Two Two's.
 

davedotco

New member
Apr 24, 2013
20
0
0
Andrewjvt said:
Electro said:
A new active speaker from PMC the Result 6 is now available at the more friendly price of £2394 a pair.

http://sxpro.co.uk/pmc-result6-pair

https://pmc-speakers.com/products/professional/active/result6

Available Finishes: RAL 7022 Crossover Frequency: 2kHz Dimensions: H380 x W199 x D360 (mm) Drive Units: HF 27mm Soft DomeLF 170mm (6.5 inch), doped natural fibre Effective ATL™ Length: 1.5m (4.9ft) Frequency Response: 45Hz - 22kHz Impedance: >8kΩ Input Connectors: Balanced analogue XLR, wired Pin-1 screen Weight: 8kg (17.6lbs) Amplifier Power per Channel: HF 65WrmsLF 100Wrms

I bet they sound good too.
Are they designed to be listened to at a closer distance than the PMC hifi speakers?

Also do you know what amps are in the twotwo6?
The TwoTwo 5 and 6 models both use three 50 watt digital amplifiers, one for the tweeter and two, in bridge, to give 150 watts to the bass unit. So quite different to the new model.

Price wise the Result 6 is quite expensive, the similarly sized and powered Adam A7x is available just under £1k and the Quested S7r can be had for around £1500, grills are an option too.

They would have to be pretty good to sell at that price, they are bang up against the Unity Audio 'The Rock', an old favourite of mine.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts