The active speakers club

Page 51 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
By looking carefully at the speaker cabinets, and reading the labels. How do you find the bass/treble controls ? Sniffer dogs :) ?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Cno,

I'm looking forward to their arrival. Another reason for the choice is that the Akurate has an XLR output and I'll need one run of 2m and one of 4m (I've read that XLR handle longer runs better than rca and same size lengths are not crucial). Will give my impressions when they arrive and I've had chance to have a good listen.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
avole said:
By looking carefully at the speaker cabinets, and reading the labels. How do you find the bass/treble controls ? Sniffer dogs :) ?

That's an intelligent answer - for you. - next you'll be calling it humour - oh dear!

tonky

Pedro2 said:
Thanks Cno,

I'm looking forward to their arrival. Another reason for the choice is that the Akurate has an XLR output and I'll need one run of 2m and one of 4m (I've read that XLR handle longer runs better than rca and same size lengths are not crucial). Will give my impressions when they arrive and I've had chance to have a good listen.
I'd not worry about different lengths with XLR. Like davedotco here, I would always imagine a sound imbalance with different length regular cables to speakers, but actives are rather different. Btw, I heard them in Bristol at the show in Feb, and liked them a lot. (We used to live near Cirencester where their head office is located, coincidentally! )

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
nopiano said:
Pedro2 said:
Thanks Cno,

I'd not worry about different lengths with XLR. Like davedotco here, I would always imagine a sound imbalance with different length regular cables to speakers, but actives are rather different. Btw, I heard them in Bristol at the show in Feb, and liked them a lot. (We used to live near Cirencester where their head office is located, coincidentally! )

Without thinking about it I simply ordered 2 x 3m Van Damme phono cables for my active Adams. Thats more than I need, particularly on one side but it never occurred to me to do things any differently.

You can take the man out of hi-fi but you can't take the hi-fi......*pardon*

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Congrats Pedro2 - I know that this has been a long journey for you and am really pleased you've decided to take the plunge. You've also (very cleverly) managed to avoid the hype/sensation* that is Linn Exakt in the process.

I'd be very keen to hear how you feel they perform after you have had them for a little while. As you know I took the plunge with a Linn Aktiv setup a year or so ago and despite my life being upside down for much of that period and restricted listening time it's a move I have never regretted from a sound quality point of view.

If the results you get with 'just' your ADSM and active speakers are anywhere near as good as having to muck around with active cards and a separate amp (like I did) then I'll be very pleased for you - it's a quantum leap in sound quality.

And also very annoyed at myself *biggrin*

(* delete as per your point of view)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi dave

The controls are useful. They're subtle yet effective without muting or exaggerating the sound.

I've mainly used the AE1A's with the controls at their 0 position.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

With decent active designs I have invariably found that bass is tighter and more controlled, particularly with respect to room boundaries. Boundary placement does lift low frequencies but rarely causes the 'overblown' bass that blights so many passive designs in such circumstances.

Using a touch of bass cut allows my Adams to be placed around 6-8 inches from the back wall with no hint of boom at any volume level I am likely to use. They sound better further out into the room and with a different seating position, but these improvements are largely hi-fi, soundstage particularly which does not bother me.

Most importantly, the pace and rhythm is not affected by placing them closer to a wall, so the music still works, I am happy with that.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
How does everybody find the bass on actives? Without a sub. The only ones I've heard are dynaudio xeo, which sounded incredible on the clarity front, but didn't have the same bass as my dynaudio passives, and given a choice , I prefer my system. I love the clarity of what I've heard with actives, but how is the bass on the usual suspects?
Ta.

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Paulq,

I'll have a better idea in a few weeks time when I've parted with the old and in with the new!

As to the simplicity of the setup, I'm surprised that more on the Linn forum don't go down the DS/DSM into a pair of straightforward actives route. I must admit that the Linn Aktiv or Exakt routes seem overly complex and in some cases incredibly expensive.

Ideally I would have liked to have listened to some pro actives under the £1k mark (see Davedotco) but my experience with the acoustic energy actives was just too good!

I might be regretting all this in a few weeks time but I'm optimistic at the moment.

Enjoy your Linn gear. It sounds like it's keeping you happy. Will keep you posted.....

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
radiorog said:
How does everybody find the bass on actives? Without a sub. The only ones I've heard are dynaudio xeo, which sounded incredible on the clarity front, but didn't have the same bass as my dynaudio passives, and given a choice , I prefer my system. I love the clarity of what I've heard with actives, but how is the bass on the usual suspects? Ta.

This is a very typical reaction that you get from hi-fi enthusiasts coming to active speakers for the first time.

The control and clarity takes people by surprise, many affordable passive speakers do not come close in this respect, add in the control at the bass end and the speaker may appear bass light. Personally I consider this fallacious, the bass is there, just minus the usual 'overhang' or 'bloom' you get from passives.

That said, I am not that taken with the XEO models, the LYD pro monitors are better and much cheaper though they lack the wireless/multiroom capability. A pair of LYD 5 and a Yamaha WXC50 at about £1k may be all many people need.

This sort of presentation, a kind of lean clarity, can be rather adictive, it can take the whole 'hi-fi sound' thing out of the equation with the music presented with a crystaline see through quality that is very hard to match with a passive system of comparable cost.

radiorog said:
How does everybody find the bass on actives? Without a sub. The only ones I've heard are dynaudio xeo, which sounded incredible on the clarity front, but didn't have the same bass as my dynaudio passives, and given a choice , I prefer my system. I love the clarity of what I've heard with actives, but how is the bass on the usual suspects? Ta.
I agree with what Dave has said, but anything like this should be auditioned first, as it's not for everyone. Just because something is technically better, it doesn't mean that everyone is going to like it. Kii Threes are an example - there's many split opinions across forums as to people liking/not liking what they do. But we all listen for different things. I saw one mention of the Kii Threes where the guy said they had "no height" above the speaker itself - others wouldn't notice that, so it's down to what you listen out for, the how the drawbacks of any speaker may or may not intrude on what you listen for (and all speakers will have some drawbacks).

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Pedro2 said:
Paulq,

I'll have a better idea in a few weeks time when I've parted with the old and in with the new!

As to the simplicity of the setup, I'm surprised that more on the Linn forum don't go down the DS/DSM into a pair of straightforward actives route. I must admit that the Linn Aktiv or Exakt routes seem overly complex and in some cases incredibly expensive.

Ideally I would have liked to have listened to some pro actives under the £1k mark (see Davedotco) but my experience with the acoustic energy actives was just too good!

I might be regretting all this in a few weeks time but I'm optimistic at the moment.

Enjoy your Linn gear. It sounds like it's keeping you happy. Will keep you posted.....

I am sure you will like them. My only experience with active speakers is I have listened to a mate's Ruark MR1's which he uses for his TV and streaming via Bluetooth. They are tiny but the sound that they emit is staggering. If the ones you have bought are anything like that then you will have made the right decision - absolutely.

I think you know my view on Linn Exakt from our previous discussions. I have listened to it and find it cold and uninvolving to the point where I can't understand the fuss (and I am a Linn fan!). It's disproportionately expensive and unless you buy something like Exakt Akudorik the numbers of boxes/cables and messing around in Konfig is just a pain for the difference I heard.

The conversion from passive to Aktiv with my Katans was, literally, night and day sound wise so I am curious to know whether non-Linn active speakers would yield the same results.

I may start pestering some dealers to listen out of curiosity as, if they do, then I reckon I could move on some of my Linn kit and run something like the SCM19A at like for like cost and without all the faff.

Than it's just saving up for a KDSM with Katalyst and job done *biggrin*

Enjoy your new kit and keep me posted.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Just checking out Studiospares in north London and I found these.

Built in China by Seiwin who build a lot of product for well known brand names, the 8 inch models are quite new to the uk market.

Not the most flexible or sophisticated of units, this is a big (ish) bi-amp monitor with 100 + 80 watts continuous power and a quite formidable output capability. Much, much better than you would expect, they can be had, including a pair of stands for around £200pr.

https://www.studiospares.com/Headphones-and-Speakers/Studio-Monitors/Seiwin-8A-Active-Monitors---Monitor-Stands_248082.htm

248082.jpg

davidf said:
Just because something is technically better, it doesn't mean that everyone is going to like it. Kii Threes are an example - there's many split opinions across forums as to people liking/not liking what they do. But we all listen for different things. I saw one mention of the Kii Threes where the guy said they had "no height" above the speaker itself - others wouldn't notice that, so it's down to what you listen out for, the how the drawbacks of any speaker may or may not intrude on what you listen for (and all speakers will have some drawbacks).

I see the Kii Three’s monitors are getting to you *biggrin*

Perhaps (as an example of course) you should highlight the performance drawbacks of the active speakers you supply.

As we also support Dutch & Dutch Audio I wonder if their Studio 8c monitors are next on the agenda *smile*

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
radiorog said:
How does everybody find the bass on actives?

Without a sub. The only ones I've heard are dynaudio xeo, which sounded incredible on the clarity front, but didn't have the same bass as my dynaudio passives........

Which Xeo did you hear? The tiny entry level desktop Xeo 2, the small stand mount Xeo 4, or the larger floorstanding Xeo 6?

There's deeper and well controlled bass on the more expensive Focus XD range, but those are much more expensive.

I've heard the KEF LS50W's and bass seemed OK on them, for such a small enclosure. Some say that the bass is more tightly controlled and has more punch than on the passive version.

z

MUSICRAFT said:
davidf said:
Just because something is technically better, it doesn't mean that everyone is going to like it. Kii Threes are an example - there's many split opinions across forums as to people liking/not liking what they do. But we all listen for different things. I saw one mention of the Kii Threes where the guy said they had "no height" above the speaker itself - others wouldn't notice that, so it's down to what you listen out for, the how the drawbacks of any speaker may or may not intrude on what you listen for (and all speakers will have some drawbacks).

I see the Kii Three’s monitors are getting to you *biggrin*

Perhaps (as an example of course) you should highlight the performance drawbacks of the active speakers you supply.

As we also support Dutch & Dutch Audio I wonder if their Studio 8c monitors are next on the agenda *smile*
I was just making an observation based on what I've seen on forums and heard at the Indulgence Show. I've heard them a few times now and like them, but I'm always wary of making my own views known before I get to hear them properly for myself in my own environment.

As I say, all speakers have shortcomings, but what's the point in mentioning them if most of them aren't noticed by the average user? We all evaluate speakers (or anything else) on our own requirements - if one of those requirements is one of a speaker's shortcomings, then we won't like them.

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I just wondered if there is anybody out there who's system includes Active speakers and a Allegri Passive Preamplifier. If so how does the preamp work in practice (no remote control..?) and what does it bring to the sonic sound?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
gowiththeflow said:
radiorog said:
How does everybody find the bass on actives?

Without a sub. The only ones I've heard are dynaudio xeo, which sounded incredible on the clarity front, but didn't have the same bass as my dynaudio passives........

Which Xeo did you hear? The tiny entry level desktop Xeo 2, the small stand mount Xeo 4, or the larger floorstanding Xeo 6?

There's deeper and well controlled bass on the more expensive Focus XD range, but those are much more expensive.

I've heard the KEF LS50W's and bass seemed OK on them, for such a small enclosure. Some say that the bass is more tightly controlled and has more punch than on the passive version.

z

At this one. I have heard and played with most of the speakers mentioned above, the XEO 4 and 6 I found a bit underwhelming, particularly when you consider the price. The XEO2 is a bit betwixt and between, £1200 for a pair of bluetooth speakers is fair enough but the pro models, the Lyd 5 or Lyd 7 are cheaper and better. Match with a WXC 50 for a very affordable setup.

The Focus XD models are excellent, but at a cost. £4k for the entry level standmount, you have to really buy into the whole 'wireless' thing to makw that worthwhile, nice though.

Generally speaking, I find active speakers are tighter and more controlled in the bass than passive equivilents, this might sound bass light as a layer of overhang or 'bloom' is often missing but when some real bass comes along I find actives to be superior both in terms of bass clarity and punch.

hi dave.....I have found the same thing with my pmc's...although a small passive monitor..they do sound a bit bass light or "the lean side of neutral"as some would say ...but when you show them something with a proper full bass and decent production of it......it's like oh yeah there you go it's there..it's tight with little overhang and it's got rhythm.the little pmc twenty 21's really are a great wee pair of speakers and I'm sure pmc have learned a thing or two with their expertise in the active monitor sector,allowing the trickle down in technology to their more affordable passive units.

Sorry for slightly straying from topic though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts