The active speakers club

Page 40 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Your Oppo is very well equiped regarding outputs and playable formats. I think our products may even share the same DAC, I've not checked. All I'll say is the performace of the DM10's is noticeably better with the Oppo than the Yamaha (expectation bias of cource) but I still want another Yamaha to act as a streamer/player. Sorry these posts are difficult now as I need to check my dictionary whenever considering a suitable adjective to describe the subjective performance. ;-)

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
and I take your point. The problem is history, not yours, but that of selling techniques used by certain brands.

As to Lindsayt, he is what he is, I find his adhesion and support for a certain forum intolerable and have said so often, yet he does know his stuff. He also tends to take hifi matters to heart more so than most, needlessly so. He can really piss you off, but his opinions do carry some weight. In the end, let it go, life's far too short to spend it worrying about hifi.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
luckylion100 said:
shadders said:
luckylion100 said:
Hardly original, nothing I haven't heard a hundred times over, perhaps try harder next time.

I thought this particular forum section was intended to speak about active speakers in a positive light, without all the nonsense that the haters bring. Sad little people...
Hi Luckylion100

People are pulling your leg - or pressing the button. There are no haters, just critical comments and mickey taking. *blum3*

Regards,

Shadders.

Being called a shill isn't pulling my leg. I've seen it used too often on here and it was meant. This itch that some need to repeatedly scratch is not my concern.

Who is the scratcher? - who is the scratchee? - Just give it it a rest - when you're on topic your posts are (usually) pretty good.

tonky

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
luckylion100 said:
LindsayT, get a life... there's more to it than this.

As for the foul language, it was no accidental slip of the tongue but intended. So go and report me to the headmaster, because you act at times like you're on the school playground..

One last thing, I don't answer or need to justify myself to you!
luckylion100, one thing that we have in common is neither of us likes each other's online forum persona.

However there is one area related to this in which we differ greatly.

My understanding from what you've written - and please feel free to correct me if I'm not not telling the whole story here - is that you do not like the frequency and nature of posts that I make about AVI.

Here's a big question for you. Would you at least concede that everything I have said about AVI is correct and true to the best of my knowledge and that a large part of it is based on first hand experience of the products?

The main reason that I don't like your online persona is that you lied about me in post #81 of the NVA Cube 2 review thread and I have never seen an apology from you.

So the area that we differ greatly from each other is that you don't like me for the way I tell the truth and I don't like you for the way that you tell lies on this forum.

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
the kindergarten spats? Give it a break, lindsayt, anyone who moderates on the most disgusting of the hifi forums can hardly aspire to the moral high ground.

I think this is a pretty dumb forum topic, but let it die a natural death.

shadders

Andrewjvt said:
Whos getting what active?

Ive not been on for a while and have lost the plot with all the AVI hate(jealousy)
Hi,

I do not think that there are haters or jealousy. You can purhase equivalent specification for less money - Yamaha or a studion monitor. Here is a thread listing active speakers which is recent :

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=199465

There do seem to be quite a few active speakers now.

Regards,

Shadders.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
shadders said:
Andrewjvt said:

Ive not been on for a while and have lost the plot with all the AVI hate(jealousy)
Hi,

I do not think that there are haters or jealousy. You can purhase equivalent specification for less money - Yamaha or a studion monitor. Here is a thread listing active speakers which is recent :

Regards,

Shadders. 

Hi shadders
Yes there are lots of good active speakers available to choose from but none of them get (or people that use them) get a silly challenge from certain members when they merely mention them(AVI) there is a personal hatred/grudge towards them and anyone happy with them. I dont use them but ive heard them twice for extended periods and formed an opinion.

Avi costs £2000 and that was a price increase from £1500. They were to me just as good as my 3 times more expensive passive amp/dac speaker set up.

Performance very close even though i still preferred the sound of my Atc over the avi.

I felt that what it lacked in slight clarity, it made up in musical performance and also more robust build.

So for a very good quality complete system for £2000 or then £1500 i personally feel you will struggle to beat it at anywhere near that price.

That is unless you want great big old vintage 15inchers in your lounge. And very ugly also. And thats not a dig as the performance of those vintage jbls from lindsay were very very good.

shadders

Andrewjvt said:
shadders said:
Andrewjvt said:

Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Hi shadders Yes there are lots of good active speakers available to choose from but none of them get (or people that use them) get a silly challenge from certain members when they merely mention them(AVI) there is a personal hatred/grudge towards them and anyone happy with them. I dont use them but ive heard them twice for extended periods and formed an opinion.

Avi costs £2000 and that was a price increase from £1500. They were to me just as good as my 3 times more expensive passive amp/dac speaker set up.

Performance very close even though i still preferred the sound of my Atc over the avi.

I felt that what it lacked in slight clarity, it made up in musical performance and also more robust build.

So for a very good quality complete system for £2000 or then £1500 i personally feel you will struggle to beat it at anywhere near that price.

That is unless you want great big old vintage 15inchers in your lounge. And very ugly also. And thats not a dig as the performance of those vintage jbls from lindsay were very very good.
Hi,

If you look at the pinkfishmedia thread then someone there states do not buy AVI.

Why is this ?. Why on other forums does AVI generate this response. It is not hatred or jealousy - they are just a bit of wood, metal and electronics. Why has a person been banned from multiple forums regarding AVI ?

I think it is more to do with the attitude of the owners than the actual product.

On the pinkfishmedia thread - there are many actives mentioned - which are just as good, possibly better - and similar price.

You stated "I felt that what it lacked in slight clarity, it made up in musical performance and also more robust build." - this seems a balanced statement in that you have not stated every other speaker system is rubbish, and passive systems are inferior.

If a group of people persist in repeating that their speakers are the best and are the only option, and all others are rubbish, even other active speakers - then you have to question and be critical of these statements.

With regards to cost and beating it with alternatives - there are many cheaper active speakers with similar performance, and at the same price, many speakers with more features.

What i always do is look at the sum of the parts - speaker drivers, electronics, cabinet - and try to determine the cost of these components. When you do that - then you can see the inherent value of the speaker. If the AVI DM10's cost to the manufacturer a total of £500 material and build costs, then would you state it is good value for money ?

This is why i really like Hifi News - they provide pictures of electronics inside amplifiers etc, and you can immeditely see if you are buying a relatively empty case.

Regards,

Shadders.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
shadders said:
Andrewjvt said:
shadders said:
Andrewjvt said:

Hi,

Regards,

Shadders. 

Hi shadders Yes there are lots of good active speakers available to choose from but none of them get (or people that use them) get a silly challenge from certain members when they merely mention them(AVI) there is a personal hatred/grudge towards them and anyone happy with them. I dont use them but ive heard them twice for extended periods and formed an opinion.

Hi,

If you look at the pinkfishmedia thread then someone there states do not buy AVI. 

Why is this ?. Why on other forums does AVI generate this response. It is not hatred or jealousy - they are just a bit of wood, metal and electronics. Why has a person been banned from multiple forums regarding AVI ?

I think it is more to do with the attitude of the owners than the actual product. 

On the pinkfishmedia thread - there are many actives mentioned - which are just as good, possibly better - and similar price. 

You stated "I felt that what it lacked in slight clarity, it made up in musical performance and also more robust build." - this seems a balanced statement in that you have not stated every other speaker system is rubbish, and passive systems are inferior.

If a group of people persist in repeating that their speakers are the best and are the only option, and all others are rubbish, even other active speakers - then you have to question and be critical of these statements. 

With regards to cost and beating it with alternatives - there are many cheaper active speakers with similar performance, and at the same price, many speakers with more features. 

What i always do is look at the sum of the parts - speaker drivers, electronics, cabinet - and try to determine the cost of these components. When you do that - then you can see the inherent value of the speaker. If the AVI DM10's cost to the manufacturer a total of £500 material and build costs, then would you state it is good value for money ?

This is why i really like Hifi News - they provide pictures of electronics inside amplifiers etc, and you can immeditely see if you are buying a relatively empty case. 

Regards,

Shadders. 

You made a few valid points

1.I think it is more to do with the attitude of the owners than the actual product. 
Yes i agree - its not the product but personal.

2. Speakers and hifi amps are massively overpriced.
Yes true - all products are over priced compared to how much they cost.

In my last post i said dm10 were better value for money at £1500 compared to my system costing £5600
In that context and sound quality the avi win hands down. Although for me personally id still buy atc active scm20asl over avi dm10.

On other makes actives, ive not had chance to listen or compare any. I like the look of the new AE active. Really excites me for some reason

shadders

Andrewjvt said:
shadders said:
Andrewjvt said:
shadders said:
Andrewjvt said:

Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

Hi,

Regards,

Shadders.

You made a few valid points

1.I think it is more to do with the attitude of the owners than the actual product. Yes i agree - its not the product but personal.

2. Speakers and hifi amps are massively overpriced. Yes true - all products are over priced compared to how much they cost.

In my last post i said dm10 were better value for money at £1500 compared to my system costing £5600 In that context and sound quality the avi win hands down. Although for me personally id still buy atc active scm20asl over avi dm10.

On other makes actives, ive not had chance to listen or compare any. I like the look of the new AE active. Really excites me for some reason
Hi,

Yes - active speakers can reduce costs since the electronics can be reduced to some extent - but this does depend on the system design. An amplifier will have to contend with any load, but an active speaker amplifier can be much lower specified for same SPL.

The new actives such as Kef or AE are making an impression on the maket. They do offer an alternative - if studio monitors which do seem to be black colour only, are not aesthetically pleasing.

Regards,

Shadders.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Come on, spill the beans once and for all. What AVI users come on here and stir it up out of the blue?

Don't even dare suggest my name! For all I do is state that I'm happy with my purchase like hundreds of other What Hi-Fi forum members have done over the years. The second I make a even the slightest reference about AVI generally LIndsayT jumps on it. Yet it's fine for him to slag the Major's system off as boring in a completely non AVI related thread. He's called me a shill, which is utter nonsense and even he knows it but is just too pig headed to admit it. Strange thing was the other day I recommended to someone go look at Kef's new offering, probably a better bet for the users needs.

I tell you what let's start an anti Q Acoustic hate group, or Dali, Dynaudio or any make that continually gets a mention as a likely first recommendation.... sound fair? Because to a certain someone they're all **** anyway and you're all wasting your time!

Shadders, you state you haven't heard an active system since the 1990's , let alone an AVI speaker, so I'm sorry you're talking nonsense until you've heard them. The vast majority of posts on here from the people that have bothered to listen to them is very positive, all but one. But strangely if you read the account of the three way bake off, he didn't rip the absolute piss out of them like he does now. Strange that, perhaps he enjoyed Andrews and IPV's company face to face...

There was another post, (can't seem to find it at present) where he mentions that the PMC fact 12's are complete rubbish but I as I recall the AVI peformed not so many miles behind these rubbish PMC's and other mentioned expensive speakers. Before he starts this is not a quote but a recollection.

I'm sick of it, this person may know his stuff but his delivery stinks!

He is involved in childish behaviour running off to HIFI Subjectivist forum and gossiping and telling tales about members on here to his two friends there. It's a joke, a grown man (I assume) acting like this.

To get lectured to go and look the definition of the word excellent in a dictionary is insulting. He's desperate to find fault and criticise. That post were I committed the cardinal sin of saying my speakers were excellent was old hat, we'd moved on and were talking about Emotiva pre-amps FFS!

Not personal, he's making it very personal. And I wonder, despite it being a public forum where you're entitled to post as much as the next man why are you so obsessed with AVI?!

Like I've said before, the Active Thread was meant to be a place where fans or those who were interested in active speakers could come and discuss all things active without this unwwanted nonsense. If you don't like actives, go and get off on a pair of passive speakers, easy!

shadders

@page { margin: 2cm }
p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; line-height: 120% }

luckylion100 said:
Come on, spill the beans once and for all. What AVI users come on here and stir it up out of the blue?

Don't even dare suggest my name! For all I do is state that I'm happy with my purchase like hundreds of other What Hi-Fi forum members have done over the years. The second I make a even the slightest reference about AVI generally LIndsayT jumps on it. Yet it's fine for him to slag the Major's system off as boring in a completely non AVI related thread. He's called me a shill, which is utter nonsense and even he knows it but is just too pig headed to admit it. Strange thing was the other day I recommended to someone go look at Kef's new offering, probably a better bet for the users needs.
Hi,

This is the history as of, and up until last year. The pinkfishmedia thread indicates the reputation of AVI owners. The person on pinkfishmedia i do not beieve is on this forum. I was making an observation only.

luckylion100 said:
I tell you what let's start an anti Q Acoustic hate group, or Dali, Dynaudio or any make that continually gets a mention as a likely first recommendation.... sound fair? Because to a certain someone they're all **** anyway and you're all wasting your time!

I have made observation of past events on here only.

luckylion100 said:
Shadders, you state you haven't heard an active system since the 1990's , let alone an AVI speaker, so I'm sorry you're talking nonsense until you've heard them. The vast majority of posts on here from the people that have bothered to listen to them is very positive, all but one. But strangely if you read the account of the three way bake off, he didn't rip the absolute piss out of them like he does now. Strange that, perhaps he enjoyed Andrews and IPV's company face to face...

I have made observational comments only - about what has occured and reasons as to the attitude towards AVI owners. I have NEVER made a subjective comment on the sound of AVI speakers, nor of any other speaker i have NOT heard. I have made objective comments based on engineering understanding only.

luckylion100 said:
There was another post, (can't seem to find it at present) where he mentions that the PMC fact 12's are complete rubbish but I as I recall the AVI peformed not so many miles behind these rubbish PMC's and other mentioned expensive speakers. Before he starts this is not a quote but a recollection.

He is involved in childish behaviour running off to HIFI Subjectivist forum and gossiping and telling tales about members on here to his two friends there. It's a joke, a grown man (I assume) acting like this.

To get lectured to go and look the definition of the word excellent in a dictionary is insulting. He's desperate to find fault and criticise. That post were I committed the cardinal sin of saying my speakers were excellent was old hat, we'd moved on and were talking about Emotiva pre-amps FFS!

Not personal, he's making it very personal. And I wonder, despite it being a public forum where you're entitled to post as much as the next man why are you so obsessed with AVI?!

Like I've said before, the Active Thread was meant to be a place where fans or those who were interested in active speakers could come and discuss all things active without this unwwanted nonsense. If you don't like actives, go and get off on a pair of passive speakers, easy!

I have made no statement that i dislike actives, prefer passives etc. I have stated that actives are a better technical solution as per August 2016 postings on this site.

I can see you are being challenged by some people as to your statements (subjective), but to state that there are AVI haters etc., is not correct.

I am not obsessed with AVI, but i have made observational comments on the reasons why AVI owners receive the responses that they do - please see the pinkfishmedia thread.

As per the canton speaker thread - i asked you why do you think that AVI speaker owners get the opposition that they do. It seems to be only AVI - so i try and analyse why.

There was a funny thread about the the new Kef Actives - someone asked the people who own DM10's whether the new Kef Active was a (pile of pooh) yet. Perhaps this person (not lindsayt) was aware of previous attitude of AVI speaker owners ?

Anyway - there is no hating of AVI, but there is critical statements by others.

Regards,

Shadders.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
shadders said:
@page { margin: 2cm } p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; line-height: 120% }
luckylion100 said:

Hi,

This is the history as of, and up until last year. The pinkfishmedia thread indicates the reputation of AVI owners. The person on pinkfishmedia i do not beieve is on this forum. I was making an observation only.

luckylion100 said:

luckylion100 said:

I have made observational comments only - about what has occured and reasons as to the attitude towards AVI owners. I have NEVER made a subjective comment on the sound of AVI speakers, nor of any other speaker i have NOT heard. I have made objective comments based on engineering understanding only.

luckylion100 said:

I have made no statement that i dislike actives, prefer passives etc. I have stated that actives are a better technical solution as per August 2016 postings on this site.

I can see you are being challenged by some people as to your statements (subjective), but to state that there are AVI haters etc., is not correct.

I am not obsessed with AVI, but i have made observational comments on the reasons why AVI owners receive the responses that they do - please see the pinkfishmedia thread.

As per the canton speaker thread - i asked you why do you think that AVI speaker owners get the opposition that they do. It seems to be only AVI - so i try and analyse why.

There was a funny thread about the the new Kef Actives - someone asked the people who own DM10's whether the new Kef Active was a (pile of pooh) yet. Perhaps this person (not lindsayt) was aware of previous attitude of AVI speaker owners ?

Regards,

Shadders.
@page { margin: 2cm } p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; line-height: 120% } @page { margin: 2cm } p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; line-height: 120% }

Let's agree to disagree. easy to say that when you're not on the receiving end. You say there aren't any AVI haters, go onto the forum I mentioned above, 'HiFi Subjectivist' forum then come back and tell me there aren't any. I don't use pinkfish or even the AVI forum. I've posted half a dozen posts there at most.

All I'm saying is I wouldn't be addressed faced to face as I was on here without reacting. Obviously LindsayT will come back with his take, his right of course but I will now say no more on this. But still, in other threads I am entitled as anyone to state my appreciation for the product I purchased without being jumped on, I'd like some to respect that. Thank you.

shadders

luckylion100 said:
shadders said:
@page { margin: 2cm } p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; line-height: 120% }
luckylion100 said:

Hi,

luckylion100 said:

luckylion100 said:
Shadders, you state you haven't heard an active system since the 1990's , let alone an AVI speaker, so I'm sorry you're talking nonsense until you've heard them. The vast majority of posts on here from the people that have bothered to listen to them is very positive, all but one. But strangely if you read the account of the three way bake off, he didn't rip the absolute p!ss out of them like he does now. Strange that, perhaps he enjoyed Andrews and IPV's company face to face...

luckylion100 said:

Regards,

Shadders.

@page { margin: 2cm } p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; line-height: 120% } @page { margin: 2cm } p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; line-height: 120% }

Let's agree to disagree. easy to say that when you're not on the receiving end. You say there aren't any AVI haters, go onto the forum I mentioned above, 'HiFi Subjectivist' forum then come back and tell me there aren't any. I don't use pinkfish or even the AVI forum. I've posted half a dozen posts there at most.

All I'm saying is I wouldn't be addressed faced to face as I was on here without reacting. Obviously LindsayT will come back with his take, his right of course but I will now say no more on this. But still, in other threads I am entitled as anyone to state my appreciation for the product I purchased without being jumped on, I'd like some to respect that. Thank you.
Hi,

Yes, I agree you can post whatever you want about your experiences, whatever they are. I have no disagreement of any subjective statement, how could I, it is personal to them, and we are all different.

Regards,

Shadders.

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Recently posted that I want to listen to AE1a, avi dm10/5 and ATC SCM19a. So I've tried locating a pair of AE1a and I'm struggling! Tried 2 local dealers and neither had a pair. Also, neither particularly showed much interest in getting them in. I've now emailed AE directly. This could be a long journey!

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I always thought I'd been quite balanced and pragmatic regarding my assessment of my speakers, right from the very first day I posted the almost exact same word for word review on both here and HDD Audio forum. I like them, they have enhanced my listening enjoyment. But I certainly don't, nor have I ever, advocated these nor any other active speakers to be the One True Way. Buying them now is less of a risk on the grounds you can presumably audition them if you live close to the various retailers, but there has been a 33% price increase for the priviledge. Any condascending comments from AVI owners regarding others' choices rightly deserve any spanking they receive, IMHO. However - and perhaps it's only because I've joined the AVI/active party quite so comparatively late - at the moment the condascending comments seem mainly one sided, from the various threads I've seen, and it isn't from AVI owners. Peace and love. Is that too much to ask when we supposedly share the same hobby?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Pedro2 said:
Recently posted that I want to listen to AE1a, avi dm10/5 and ATC SCM19a. So I've tried locating a pair of AE1a and I'm struggling! Tried 2 local dealers and neither had a pair. Also, neither particularly showed much interest in getting them in. I've now emailed AE directly. This could be a long journey!

I think david at little audio company will be able to help you and you could compare to the new kef ls actives also

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Pedro2 said:

I think david at little audio company will be able to help you and you could compare to the new kef ls actives also

Thanks! Where are they located? I'm in the Peak District.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Pedro2 said:
Andrewjvt said:
Pedro2 said:

Thanks! Where are they located? I'm in the Peak District.

Hes in birmingham but is still give him a ring to see if he could help you out.
Bearing in mind that you own atc scm11s and the quality will be very good already with what you have.

Id have a look at atc active scm20asl pro as an upgrade (only my personal opinion)

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Pedro2 said:
ATC SCM19a.

Hi Pedro2

Just to let you know that on April 1st ATC products will have a price increase of up to 8%.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Thanks Rick. I'm sure the 8% isn't an April fool either!

Andrew,

I'm aware that my current setup sounds pretty dam fine but I need to discover how it compares with actives. After comparing, I may or may not make the move. It will only happen if the improvement in sound is worth it. As regards the ATCs, I love their sound as well as their 'built like a tank' utilitarian looks!

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Pedro2 said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Pedro2 said:
ATC SCM19a.

Hi Pedro2

Just to let you know that on April 1st ATC products will have a price increase of up to 8%.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Thanks Rick. I'm sure the 8% isn't an April fool either!

Andrew,

I'm aware that my current setup sounds pretty dam fine but I need to discover how it compares with actives. After comparing, I may or may not make the move. It will only happen if the improvement in sound is worth it. As regards the ATCs, I love their sound as well as their 'built like a tank' utilitarian looks! 

Tbh id only look at atc active speakers in that case.

It will be everything you like with even better performance.
if course you may prefer the sound of the passive.
But for me a good step up would be 20asl pro or active scm40s.

Ive not heard the 19a so i cant offer any opinion but i bet they sound just as good.

Try do yourself a fovour by having a listen to avi dm10s
And id also try listen to other brands also.
I really like the AEActives also.

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Contacted by AE yesterday. The new actives will be made avaialble to dealers in the UK soon. So far, all pairs have gone abroad. Will let you all know how this one develops!

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
...is that you completely declutter your living space from speakers, amps, wires and sockets everywhere badly masked with ugly plants. You are finally relaxed and focused on music instead of gear and stupid things like VU meters and such. I think I've finally took control of the hobby instead of it controling me. Now I can jog, swim and walk my poodle even during those days of the month dry and completely refreshed. Thank you actives, for sounding beautiful and making me feel beautiful. On the inside.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts