The active speakers club

Page 16 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Just listened to the dynaudio (dbm50 and bm5a's) both similar money, but for me the 50's won hands down. Very detailed, don't know whether the rake on the front baffle adds to the dispersion, but I'm impressed. Got to listen to the bm6a II's (hopefully side by side) to see whether the extra power makes the difference. I like the simplicity of just plugging the streamer straight in and clicking play. T'is the future.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
skippy said:
Just listened to the dynaudio (dbm50 and bm5a's) both similar money, but for me the 50's won hands down. Very detailed, don't know whether the rake on the front baffle adds to the dispersion, but I'm impressed. Got to listen to the bm6a II's (hopefully side by side) to see whether the extra power makes the difference. I like the simplicity of just plugging the streamer straight in and clicking play. T'is the future.

The DBM50s are designed for desktop use so the sound difference that you heard could well be down to how the drivers were angled towards you. Bear this in mind if you are going to standmount these in your home, as you could end up with the drivers pointing upwards, this is particularly import for the tweeter as higher frequencies are more directional.

Obviously if you are using these to monitor then disregard the above. :)

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Overdose - The rake on the front panel may work better as most of the listening will be stood up at the end of the room, so if I can make some low stands this could be optimal for seated listening (close up) and standing listening. Ultimately a side by side demo with the bma6II's is the next step. I did also see an article where a guy had placed juggling balls under the 50's to bring the front panel level in the vertical plane, but he admitted this was precarious, but did get better results. Another problem with the 50's is they may be too underpowered, my room is about 15' x 30', nearer the time I may be lucky enough to get a home demo. If I did end up with the 6a's, I may be tempted to put a slight angle on the top of the stand for the reasons I mentioned at the beginning. Thanks

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Room size is an important point and it might be worth considering more powerful monitors. The alternative is to use the BM9 sub for lower frequencies and cut off below 60/80Hz with the filter switch at the back. This will give you a bit more headroom before the speakers clip at louder listening levels.

I thought the BM5As that I had were very good, but that they might struggle in larger rooms. My room is 11' x 18' approx. Maybe try to demo the BM12As, they are slightly larger and a bit more powerful.

Edit: I'd bypass the BM6As, as they have larger drivers, but the same amplification.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
@Skippy - Did you listen to the BM5A MKI or MKII?

@Overdose - Did you own the BM5A MKI or MKII?

Also, I believe the BM5A MKII delivers 50 watts to the tweeter and 50 to the woofer, while the 6AMKII is 50 tweeter and 100 woofer. Same 7" driver and 1" tweeter.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Ajani said:
@Skippy - Did you listen to the BM5A MKI or MKII?

@Overdose - Did you own the BM5A MKI or MKII?

Also, I believe the BM5A MKII delivers 50 watts to the tweeter and 50 to the woofer, while the 6AMKII is 50 tweeter and 100 woofer. Same 7" driver and 1" tweeter.

I have the Mk I's (gathering dust) which supposedly sounded better, but I'm not entirely sure there'd be a great deal in it. The BM6As do use 50W amps per driver though, this is one of the reasons I plumped for the ADMs, as the 50W was not enough headroom for me, there were other reasons.

The Dynaudio BM series do not increase bass driver power until the BM12A. I am wondering if the 5's or 6's would be enough for Skippy, those room dimensions are quite generous, certainly by UK house standards.

BM6A Mk II features here.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
From the link you posted for the BM6A MKII:

Technical Specifications

Amplifier powerTweeter: 50 W / Woofer: 100 W

Where it gets confusing is that earlier in the "Features" section they state:

2 channel high grade 50-Watt RMS amplifier

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Ajani - With the 6aii outputs you're correct. That's why I need to give these a try.

The 5aii (the ones I demo'd)and dBm 50's both have 50w + 50w (saying that, the 50's sounded bigger...larger cabinet maybe?).

I'll update when I get the chance to audition these

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Ajani said:
From the link you posted for the BM6A MKII:

Technical Specifications

Amplifier powerTweeter: 50 W / Woofer: 100 W

Where it gets confusing is that earlier in the "Features" section they state:

2 channel high grade 50-Watt RMS amplifier

:? An email to Dynaudio required, I reckon.

It is contradictory and in the context of its smaller sibling the BM5A is also quite a significant difference.

To Skippy, I would say that if the BM6As were 50/100, then I'd have less concern over their ability to fill the room. If 50/50, then probably be best to go up a level.

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
From the faq on the dynaudio pro site:

Question
What's the difference between the BM5A and BM6A?
Answer
It's a slightly subjective question. Both are similar in component sizes and cabinet volume, and both are very linear sounding. What varies is the amount of power behind them, as the power amps are doubled in size on the BM6A. What this translates to is a very tight clean sound at much higher volumes. Beyond this they have very similar characteristics.

like you both say, it's slightly contradictory. Even this answer is because only the woofers power is doubled :doh:

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Craig,

Noticed you have the Opals. I've been researching actives for the last month or so and these speakers keep popping up and I've not heard a bad review.

How are they for general music listening, are they good off axis or do you have to be in the sweet spot for all of your listening.

Obviously these are powerful monitors, how are they for low level listening?

Sorry if you've done a review in the past, but your thoughts would be appreciated.

I've had my dynaudios for 8 years now, obviously the opals aren't cheap, but this will be a long term investment and I'd like to get it right.

Thanks in advance.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi skippy, I think they are great for general listening, good off axis although obviously the image is better if you are between the speakers.

I find them perfect for low level listening. I live in a semi with the party wall being one of the living room walls, also have a 2 year old daughter so, sadly, most of my listening is at low levels. They go unbelievably loud with no sense of strain too.

In my opinion, the Opals trounce just about anything you can buy from traditional HiFi brands. This guy says it better than I could http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?77756-The-next-mammoth-review!-The-Event-Opal-Studio-Monitors

The room positioning controls and EQ are brilliant for helping to get the best out of them in your room.

I'd also recommend the Avi ADM40s, more expensive but you wont need a dac or pre, and they look much nicer. A smoother listen than the Opals but easily as good, can only be auditioned at Avi though.

Hope this helps. :)

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Craig,

Thanks for the info.

I recently listened to dynaudio dBm 50's which I was impressed with.

At this point I started the research to find comparisons between the different monitors. Heard good things about Focals, even the smaller Event 20/20 BAS, but like I said, there are no bad reviews for the opals.

AVI's are out for me, I live in Canada so I'd struggle to audition, there's a couple of music stores where I've got a chance to listen to your speakers, so I'll be doing that in time.

The opals work out at about 1800 quid over here, but as I'm doing the basement myself I may be able to convince the missus that this will be my treat for doing the work.

The room (man cave) the potential speakers will go in will be 30' x 15' with 9' ceilings. I'll be able to turn them up a bit, but if I'm lucky enough to get the opals, I doubt I'll hear their limit!

hugokhf

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
are the active speakers basically 2.0 speakers?

will they have enough bass if I listen to rap songs? (big kanye fan here)

also, how does it sound difference from normal active speakers?

is it good for movies?

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Active speakers or monitors are usually sold as a single unit so you'd need 2 for stereo and then you could add units for a full AV set up.

These speakers come with built in amplification for high and low frequency so you wouldn't need external amps, all you'd need is some way to control the volume.

Bass is usually dependent on larger woofers and cabinets, the best thing you could do is go and listen to these speakers, ultimately it's your ears that may or may not like what you hear.

If your spine tingles or you get goose bumps when you do listen, you're moving in the right direction.

hugokhf

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
that sounds like the same as active speakers for me.

no amp needed etc.

anyway, one side question.

is it nexessary for a good soundcard, if I have a USB DAC/amp?

and if I connect the speakers into this thing, will the DAC amp replaces the speaker amp making it disorted or anything like that?

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Not too sure about the DAC/amp you have, but normally you'd go from your PC to the DAC, then from the DAC into the speakers.

Maybe someone else could add to this?

Also, may be worth mentioning what DAC you have?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts