The active speakers club

Page 15 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
The Audiosmile Kensai is a really impressive small passive standmount that can be converted into an active floorstander, well, sort of, by bolting on to the Audiosmile Advantage, an active subwoofer with power amps built in to feed the Kensai. An odd way of doing things and not a combination I have heard but I think this counts.

imagejpeg

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
This is a gem of an fully active system from B&O, but likely not to appeal to audiophile taste or those who prefer conventional HiFi styling - but having recently seen and heard one, the sound quality is tremendous - would certainly suit a Gen Y professional interested in top quality sound without having to faff about with separates, and the looks stunning to my eyes.

Also would be good for parties, as they take up little room, and can play exceptionally loud if needed...

I'm already thinking of a spot in my bedroom for one as a second system....

beoplay-bang-olufsen-a9-8-1024x516.png

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/en-AU/sound/sound-systems/beoplay-a9

JMac

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
Overdose said:
Ajani said:
To be honest, neither the Lyndy nor Cyp (which I also assume are the same product) seem appealing. I usually find that products loaded with extra features + striking cosmetics + a fairly low price do so at the expense of quality. The 3 star review of the Lyndy in WHF confirms those suspicions for me.

I wouldn't have any problems with sound quality with regards to the price, the price of £350 is not cheap for any DAC and much cheaper audibly transparent DACs can be had for much less. In fact the price is similar to other DACs of comparable design, ie DACmagic Plus and Matrix Quattro DAC. Spending this sort of money should really get you more than just a DAC anyway.

The ratings thing would also not put me off. It would be interesting though, to see independent reviews of both items, though I suspect that reviewers might need to be careful to remember what they wrote about one of the items before penning the review of the other. ;)

Frankly, I've yet to be convinced of the sonic benefits of inexpensive DACs (or CDPs). I found hooking my mac mini straight into my preamp to be more enjoyable (due to convenience - sound quality differences were negligible) than using a budget NAD or Marantz CDP. I've also found little difference (other than frequency response) between my Squeezebox Classic and an Emotiva XDA-1 DAC. So rather than invest in an inexpensive DAC, I'd rather allocate that money to the rest of the chain and use my sources as is.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Well, you're an optimist, I'll say that much for you...

Always!

Edit:

NOTE FOR THREAD CONTRIBUTORS:

This thread is intended as a place to exchange information about active speakers and their application as part of home A/AV.

Please be collaborative, as objective as possible and refrain from emotional/personal bias.

Exchange of technical knowledge and explanations are encouraged, as well as pictures of actives (in your set-up or generic).

Anyone who is interested in actives is welcome!

The minimum expected from this thread is a list of available active speaeker models, especially domestic and sanely priced ones.

Enjoy!

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Yes, i know what you mean, steve_1979, but the Advantage does contain the power amplifiers for the Kensai so you feed the signal via interconnects from a preamp just as you would any normal active speaker. In a way it's an active floorstander but with separate enclosure for the tweeter and midrange unit. As you say, an interesting design, even a strange one. I have heard the Kensai though, and as a passive mini monitor it is very effective. In its active floorstander form, though no idea

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
James7 said:
Yes, i know what you mean, steve_1979, but the Advantage does contain the power amplifiers for the Kensai so you feed the signal via interconnects from a preamp just as you would any normal active speaker. In a way it's an active floorstander but with separate enclosure for the tweeter and midrange unit. As you say, an interesting design, even a strange one. I have heard the Kensai though, and as a passive mini monitor it is very effective. In its active floorstander form, though no idea

The configuration is very similar to my AVI Neutron system but with two subwoofers rather than just one. It's a sort of active/powered/passive hybrid configuration. The subwoofers are fully active. The stereo speakers are regular passives but because the amplifiers that drive them are specially designed and optimised for the speakers that they're powering they really have more in common with powered speakers.

Ultimately though they're still passive where it counts because the tweeter and mid-bass drivers don't have their own specific amplifier for each individual driver. There's only a single amplifier driving both the tweeter and the mid-bass driver with the crossover placed after the amplifier has amplified the audio signal.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Ajani said:
...I've also found little difference (other than frequency response) between my Squeezebox Classic and an Emotiva XDA-1 DAC.

Really?

I would have thought that all audio DACs are capable of reproducing all frequencies with the audible range (20Hz - 20kHz). Which part of the frequency range do you think isn't getting reproduced by one of your DACs?

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Ajani said:
...I've also found little difference (other than frequency response) between my Squeezebox Classic and an Emotiva XDA-1 DAC.

Really?

I would have thought that all audio DACs are capable of reproducing all frequencies with the audible range (20Hz - 20kHz). Which part of the frequency range do you think isn't getting reproduced by one of your DACs?

All of the range was being reproduced. It's just that the Classic seemed warmer and the XDA seemed bright. In either words: neither seemed to have a neutral frequency response (which I would assume is deliberate for whatever reason).

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Ajani said:
steve_1979 said:
Ajani said:

Really?

All of the range was being reproduced. It's just that the Classic seemed warmer and the XDA seemed bright. In either words: neither seemed to have a neutral frequency response (which I would assume is deliberate for whatever reason).

Ahh, I see what you mean. :)

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
morgan said:
Could you please add us to your list of manufacturers. Morgan Audio Systems Ltd. Thanks.

I hope you stick around and answer any question forum member might have about your products.

For the record, I really like that your speaker is designed so that it can be used in a bookshelf. Some HiFi speakers are so fussy about positioning that I almost expect the speaker to lay comfortably on the couch, while I crouch on the floor.

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Thinking about pairing up a set of either dynaudio, genelec or Adam's to a sonos connect using xlr to rca cables.

How would the volume be controlled? Would you set the volume to 11 o'clock on the speaker and then just use the app to alter the level.

Not heard any of the speakers above, but I'm more than happy with my aging dynaudio audience 42's

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
skippy said:
Thinking about pairing up a set of either dynaudio, genelec or Adam's to a sonos connect using xlr to rca cables.

How would the volume be controlled? Would you set the volume to 11 o'clock on the speaker and then just use the app to alter the level.

Not heard any of the speakers above, but I'm more than happy with my aging dynaudio audience 42's

My first active speakers were Dynaudio BM5As and they were controlled with a UA-25 audio interface. The UA-25 is not made anymore, but can be had in mint condition if you look hard enough. I then moved to a Focusrite Sapphire Pro interface to allow me to use the DAC/preamp in standalone mode, separate from the computer, before getting the DACmagic Plus.

I used to set the computer system volume to max and then set the volume control on the preamp to a level that was just about bearable. I could then control the volume remotely from the software as required.

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Just had a look on the Roland website.

Slightly different setup than I was thinking. Basically what I'm asking is if the speakers could be controlled remotely or is there a manual volume control on each speaker?

They'd probably be the bma6 mkii's too.

Thx

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
skippy said:
Just had a look on the Roland website.

Slightly different setup than I was thinking. Basically what I'm asking is if the speakers could be controlled remotely or is there a manual volume control on each speaker?

They'd probably be the bma6 mkii's too.

Thx

There will be no volume control per se on the speakers, but there will be an attenuation switch to adjust the sensitivity due to the attached source.

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I'll be having a listen to the dynaudio dbm 50's and bm5a probably later this week to see whether they suit my ears.

The company I'm dealing with doesn't have any genelec's in Calgary (I couldn't find the G range in Canada) so I'll try what they have first and take it from there.

I'm doing the basement at the mo' so when complete that's where the successful speakers'll be living.

The xlr cables are $15 for the pair so no trouble there.

TRENDING THREADS