The active speakers club

Page 17 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

hugokhf

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
skippy said:
Not too sure about the DAC/amp you have, but normally you'd go from your PC to the DAC, then from the DAC into the speakers.

Maybe someone else could add to this?

Also, may be worth mentioning what DAC you have?

it is an Audinst HUD MX-1

a amp+dac for headphones.

so does it mean that even if I have a crap soundcard, a good dac will do the job?

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
hugokhf said:
skippy said:
Not too sure about the DAC/amp you have, but normally you'd go from your PC to the DAC, then from the DAC into the speakers.

so does it mean that even if I have a crap soundcard, a good dac will do the job?

It looks like it has a variable line out on the RCA outputs and is seemingly designed for connection directly to speakers, therefore I'd say that it would be perfect . You might want to find out for definite that the RCA outputs on the back are actually variable though, ie controlled via the volume knob on the front.

hugokhf

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Overdose said:
hugokhf said:
skippy said:

It looks like it has a variable line out on the RCA outputs and is seemingly designed for connection directly to speakers, therefore I'd say that it would be perfect . You might want to find out for definite that the RCA outputs on the back are actually variable though, ie controlled via the volume knob on the front.

I am thinking about simply plugging the 3.5mm plug into the plug in front.

the dac, then connect to computer by USB.

will that not work?

mpapo

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Craig M. said:
mpapo said:
Oh my, I've just ordered a pair B-Stock (just a damaged box...) of Event Opals for 1700 GBP.

Ooooh, nice! :grin:

Have you got them yet? Be interested in what you think of them.

I'm very impressed. I thought my Kef LS 50's sounded clean, but the way the Event Opals separate the frequencies is really something. Everything just sounds so wonderfully clear. No harshness, just a very transparent window on the music with an immense power reserve behind it. They are keepers.

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Mpapo,

Are these for HiFi or do you use them for mixing?

If for HiFi, do they generate the feel good factor, also what sort of music do you listen to and what's your listening position in regard to the Opals?

mpapo

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
skippy said:
Mpapo,

Are these for HiFi or do you use them for mixing?

If for HiFi, do they generate the feel good factor, also what sort of music do you listen to and what's your listening position in regard to the Opals?

I use them for Hifi. I listen to all kinds of music but mainly electronic music like nicolas jaar, caribou, the xx and accoustic rock like kurt vile, neil young, ... sounds great to my ears. I sit at about 2 meters from them. Soundstage is generally very good, but would dare to say that my LS50's soundstage was even better. But then again, the LS50's can't compete on bass response & clarity.

daveh75

I notice Yamaha are updating their HS range with 3 new monitors and a Sub. HS5, HS7, HS8 and HS8S

Yamaha1-300x171.jpg

Available to pre-order and expected between 15/5 and 15/6 according to http://www.andertons.co.uk/blog/recording/yamaha-release-hs5-hs7-and-hs8-studio-monitors

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Anyone heard these Audium speakers?

ac3as_gross.jpg
ac5am_gross.jpg

The Comp 3 and Comp 5 exist in both passive and active form. They use a widebander for 200-20000 Hz and a downfiring woofer for the lower frequencies, and come in high gloss (white or black) or real wood veneers (Zebrano looks nice!). The active versions sport 2 class D amps, a DSP with room correction and bass management, and a cinch in. No info on gain or volume control though...

(Mods, could you help me reducing the picture size? Thanks)

mpapo

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Ow god these Opals are quite insane, the bass is absolutely phenomenal and even when pushed hard (relatively) the mids and highs remain crystal clear audible, very low distortion I'd suppose...

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
mpapo said:
Ow god these Opals are quite insane, the bass is absolutely phenomenal and even when pushed hard (relatively) the mids and highs remain crystal clear audible, very low distortion I'd suppose...

They're fantastic aren't they. :rockout:

I've never heard any passive HiFi system that can match the clarity and sound quality of the Opals. They do proper deep bass too. 8)

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
hugokhf said:
skippy said:

You don't need a soundcard at all to use a USB DAC.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Ajani said:
Avantgarde Zero 1

Threeway Active Horn Speaker with Digital inputs and wireless transmission from the Master to Slave speaker. €9000

They look the business! Two sculptures in the living room! Any info on the amplifier class used? Probably class D?

Do you know when they will hit the shops?

How come horn speakers are so niche? Production costs? Drawbacks (narrow sweetspot, integration with the bass woofer, ...)?

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
AudioPro Air One

Active, with DSP, digital and analog inputs (USB, optical, minijack), airplay, subwoofer out, remote control. 4x25 W class D amps, 4.5 inch woofer.

allroomairone_700x425_10.jpg

allroomairone_700x425_02.jpg

5 star WHF review.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
AlmaataKZ said:
AudioPro Air One

Active, with DSP, digital and analog inputs (USB, optical, minijack), airplay, subwoofer out, remote control. 4x25 W class D amps, 4.5 inch woofer.

allroomairone_700x425_10.jpg

allroomairone_700x425_02.jpg

5 star WHF review.

Very much following the modern trend, nice enough for the kitchen but one box systems do not really cut it for me.

We need someone to reliably solve the latency issues that arise with multiple paths and separate dacs so that we can have proper stereo without the link needed with most current designs, the next 'big thing' in my view.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:
Very much following the modern trend, nice enough for the kitchen but one box systems do not really cut it for me.

Looks good to me.

Anyway, this thread is to introduce and make people aware of new active products across the the whole gumut of people's needs from active desktop speakers to giant studio speakers like those from PMC or ATC and everything in between.

Your 'nice enough for the kitchen' put-down is not necessary as it is pretty obvious how people are going to use it. It's a bit like me being snidey about a pair of £50,000 ATC actives because they aren't suitable for my shower room!

For someone in a small flat wanting to beef up sound from TV or have something in the league up from 'powered' desktop speakers (and who doesn't have room for separates or larger speakers) this could be ideal.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
chebby said:
davedotco said:

Looks good to me.

Anyway, this thread is to introduce and make people aware of new active products across the the whole gumut of people's needs from active desktop speakers to giant studio speakers like those from PMC or ATC and everything in between.

Your 'nice enough for the kitchen' put-down is not necessary as it is pretty obvious how people are going to use it. It's a bit like me being snidey about a pair of £50,000 ATC actives because they aren't suitable for my shower room!

Thanks for your input, very much taken in the spirit intended.

For those actually interested in the future of active speakers, the point is that one box solutions are becoming common because of the difficulty in keeping separate (stereo) speakers in sync without some kind of connecting cable between them.

The unpredictability of timing (latency) that can occur over separate Airplay pathways and through separate dacs is a real issue and needs to be resolved before we can move away from one box solutions to proper stereo. As far as I can see there appears to be no way of implementing this in Airplay.

mushroomgod

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi guys,

I may be joinging the club. I was originaly planning on buying something like the b&W cm8/9, and investing around £1000 on a nice amp.

My primary listening plesure is folky stuff on vinyl and rocky stuff on CD.

But recently iv been eyeing the Dynaudio Xeo 5s - they are within budget (just) and i like the idea of having a built in dac and not the worry of an amp. It all seems like a nice simple (though pretty expensive) package.

Can anyone thing of any particular reason or benifits I should or shouldnt get these over a more traditional package?

cheers!

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
davedotco said:
For those actually interested in the future of active speakers, the point is that one box solutions are becoming common because of the difficulty in keeping separate (stereo) speakers in sync without some kind of connecting cable between them.

The unpredictability of timing (latency) that can occur over separate Airplay pathways and through separate dacs is a real issue and needs to be resolved before we can move away from one box solutions to proper stereo. As far as I can see there appears to be no way of implementing this in Airplay.

It is a different ball game (size- and pricewise), but Avantgarde may have a solution with their Zero 1 speakers, referred to earlier in this thread.

Zero 1 website said:
Master and slave connections between ZERO 1 loudspeakers are wireless—eliminating the need for cables. Although this simplifies setup considerably, it is important that the wireless connection does not deteriorate the sound in any way. The ZERO 1 provides tonal perfection by transmitting the volume over a dedicated wireless channel, applying it only once it has arrived at the slave. The data transfer rate is 44.1 kHz at 16 bits and is bit-perfect. Another measure taken to achieve this is to delay the master by less than 2 microseconds in order to make up for the time needed to process the radio link. This ensures that the master and slave's musical output is absolutely synchronous.

I didn't hear the result for myself yet (they are due in the shops "in Q3 of Q4 of 2013"), but it looks promising. The radio link is limited to RedBook format, but that wouldn't be an issue for me...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts