Suggest upgrades to match the Leema

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin:Well, well, well...very interesting.
emotion-2.gif

Uh-oh, the hermit penguin has gone all enigmatic and teasing.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
Speaking as someone who actually owns the Pulse and the Saturn, I don't really think that 'warm' (in a negative sense) is a useful description. Do you think that the Leema is 'warm'? Personally, I don't think it is. Where reviews are critical, they say that it's a bit lively.

Compared to the Apollo and the Arcam CD-17, which I heard when I bought the Saturn, the more expensive Rega player sounded much more detailed. Everything was presented with more depth and life. If you want a one-word description, 'clarity' comes closer than 'warmth'.

I think you just need to hear the various options for yourself now Mr P, with the Saturn a strong contender if you can stretch to one. Don't forget the Frank Harvey deal, though.

ESP2009:

plastic penguin:Well, well, well...very interesting.
emotion-2.gif

Uh-oh, the hermit penguin has gone all enigmatic and teasing.

No puzzle - connected up my Rotel CDP and it's mainly marvellous. It has all the punch and detail of the Arc minus the warmth. Saying that, on certain bass light tracks it could do with a bit more body. Otherwise, it's fabulous...

A

Anonymous

pp, if you want to get a few pointers as to what speakers may suit you're leema, and want to try my rx6's for a week, then id be more than happy to oblige, just ask andrew to exchange email adresses and ill send them on to you, its not a problem ..

maxflinn:pp, if you want to get a few pointers as to what speakers may suit you're leema, and want to try my rx6's for a week, then id be more than happy to oblige, just ask andrew to exchange email adresses and ill send them on to you, its not a problem ..

Thanks for the offer, Max. The guy I sold my RS6s to I see about once a month for a couple of pints. I'm sure if ask nicely, he wouldn't object.

The problem (more correctly, conundrum) is getting the ideal match and ease of kit matching. So I don't want to buy PMC and then buy a player where the presentation veers towards warm too much. The ideal scenario is absolute neutral player and speakers, if that rubbish makes sense.
emotion-4.gif

Sorreltiger:

Speaking as someone who actually owns the Pulse and the Saturn, I don't really think that 'warm' (in a negative sense) is a useful description. Do you think that the Leema is 'warm'? Personally, I don't think it is. Where reviews are critical, they say that it's a bit lively.

Compared to the Apollo and the Arcam CD-17, which I heard when I bought the Saturn, the more expensive Rega player sounded much more detailed. Everything was presented with more depth and life. If you want a one-word description, 'clarity' comes closer than 'warmth'.

I think you just need to hear the various options for yourself now Mr P, with the Saturn a strong contender if you can stretch to one. Don't forget the Frank Harvey deal, though.

You're right, but I thought I'd canvass opinion. The clear message, in the main, is speakers first it seems. I would love try the Saturn but my local-ish Rega dealer only keeps the Apollo in stock. I love the idea of Arcam CD 192, but because they're all s/hand, I could buy one and it claps out in six months - ain't no good to me.

Over the coming weeks I'll make time to listen to few different combos and see where it takes me. TBH, I'm loving the Leema so much I'm itching to renew but can't at the moment.

C'est la vie.

A

Anonymous

See if you can audition the Moon CD.5, it does the neutral thing very well apparently.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:
maxflinn:pp, if you want to get a few pointers as to what speakers may suit you're leema, and want to try my rx6's for a week, then id be more than happy to oblige, just ask andrew to exchange email adresses and ill send them on to you, its not a problem ..

Thanks for the offer, Max. The guy I sold my RS6s to I see about once a month for a couple of pints. I'm sure if ask nicely, he wouldn't object.

The problem (more correctly, conundrum) is getting the ideal match and ease of kit matching. So I don't want to buy PMC and then buy a player where the presentation veers towards warm too much. The ideal scenario is absolute neutral player and speakers, if that rubbish makes sense.
emotion-4.gif

well im sure you will get there, you certainly cant be accused of rushing into it
emotion-5.gif
, by the new year you may have you're perfect hifi system and the record for the biggest hifi thread
emotion-4.gif
.. its all good..

igglebert:See if you can audition the Moon CD.5, it does the neutral thing very well apparently.

Had thought about Moon CD1. After numerous checks over recent weeks, there's only one Moon retailer and he deals with very hi-end stuff.

Like the idea of a Caspian CDP - it seems to have the sonic attributes I'm looking for...not adverse to trying out the Arcam FMJ CD37 (?), the new one. They're not totally neutral, but system matching could be fairly uncomplicated...I hope.

I have to bide my time, on my current system it is impressive indeed.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:
igglebert:See if you can audition the Moon CD.5, it does the neutral thing very well apparently.

Had thought about Moon CD1. After numerous checks over recent weeks, there's only one Moon retailer and he deals with very hi-end stuff.

Like the idea of a Caspian CDP - it seems to have the sonic attributes I'm looking for...not adverse to trying out the Arcam FMJ CD37 (?), the new one. They're not totally neutral, but system matching could be fairly uncomplicated...I hope.

If you start auditioning new products now, by the time you have made up your mind you may be able to buy an end-of-line one?

But seriously, go Italian on the CDP, and stick to the UK for speakers and you won't go far wrong.

JoelSim:plastic penguin:

If you start auditioning new products now, by the time you have made up your mind you may be able to buy an end-of-line one?

But seriously, go Italian on the CDP, and stick to the UK for speakers and you won't go far wrong.

What eyetie CDPs would you recommend?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts