Suggest upgrades to match the Leema

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin:

brendonw:I'm starting to wonder how much 'old' kit you have in that attic of yours.....

Don't ask - the list is very long...

...and the ceiling very, very bowed!
emotion-2.gif

ESP2009:plastic penguin:

brendonw:I'm starting to wonder how much 'old' kit you have in that attic of yours.....

Don't ask - the list is very long...

...and the ceiling very, very bowed!
emotion-2.gif

You wouldn't credit the amount of rubbish I've hoarded over the years, in addition to the OHs old hi-fis.

Mr. Duncan was, once upon a time, famous for his large "Drawer" but compared with my stash, it pales into negligable...

OMG - am I sad or what?

brendonw:

now wondering what the list is and how much in £'s

emotion-1.gif

It's pretty much worthless. Most of it is totally clapped out.

Rotel RCD 975

Garrard B20 turntable

Arcam Alpha 7R

Wharfedale Linton speakers

DVD player (given to us by a family member, couldn't tell you the make)

Panasonic VHS recorder (victim of a close proximity lightening strike)

Pioneer Mini system

Fidelity Music Centre

Countless odd leads and cables for speakers and interconnects. I'm sure there's stuff I've missed out...
emotion-10.gif

A

Anonymous

I think that we should start a book on what Mr PP gets as his new speakers for the Leema Pulse.

I am going with the EB2's........................£

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin:brendonw:

emotion-1.gif

Rotel RCD 975

Garrard B20 turntable

Arcam Alpha 7R

Pioneer Mini system

Fidelity Music Centre

Countless odd leads and cables for speakers and interconnects. I'm sure there's stuff I've missed out...
emotion-10.gif

You'll be needing a hazardous waste disposal licence then.
emotion-5.gif

brittondave:

I think that we should start a book on what Mr PP gets as his new speakers for the Leema Pulse.

I am going with the EB2's........................£

Who knows? Even I'm clueless at this juncture. It could be EB2s, PMCs, Proacs, B&W, MA Gold Range, Spendor...due to family commitments and imminent car MOT/insurance + daughters birthday in November, I can't realistically see myself buying anything hi-fiish this side of Xmas, but I'll have to start auditioning shortly, hence the thread.

May the prologue begin....

A

Anonymous

well you could put the sneeky order in now for the Eb2's on the creit card and then you get to trial them for at least a month. They could be first on the dudition list.
emotion-14.gif

ESP2009:plastic penguin:brendonw:

emotion-1.gif

Rotel RCD 975

Garrard B20 turntable

Arcam Alpha 7R

Pioneer Mini system

Fidelity Music Centre

emotion-10.gif

You'll be needing a hazardous waste disposal licence then.
emotion-5.gif

((Wonder what the scrap value would be?))

baldy38

Oct 17, 2007
Visit site
I have a Leema Pulse and I've got it paired with a Rega Saturn and B&W 805S speakers. It's stunning - packed full of timing, dynamics, clarity, musicality, impact, emotion and subtlety.

I demoed loads of speakers, but the B&Ws were in a class of their own - even against the Wilson Benesch Square Ones. And the Rega is great. You can get them new for just under £900 after a price drop from £1200+ last year and there's a place (can't remember where off the top of my head but a quick Google should bring it up) selling ex-demo ones for about £750. Stunning value.

You can't go wrong with that set-up, in my opinion.

baldy38:

I have a Leema Pulse and I've got it paired with a Rega Saturn and B&W 805S speakers. It's stunning - packed full of timing, dynamics, clarity, musicality, impact, emotion and subtlety.

I demoed loads of speakers, but the B&Ws were in a class of their own - even against the Wilson Benesch Square Ones. And the Rega is great. You can get them new for just under £900 after a price drop from £1200+ last year and there's a place (can't remember where off the top of my head but a quick Google should bring it up) selling ex-demo ones for about £750. Stunning value.

You can't go wrong with that set-up, in my opinion.

The 805S are already on the list. I've heard a lot of good things about the Rega Saturn, but there are a lot of good cdps around that price bracket.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
Glad to hear another vote for the Rega Saturn, Baldy! As posted earlier, mine came from Frank Harvey (HiFix) for £799, supposedly ex demo. Although the offer says silver, mine was actually a brand new black one for the same price! Fantastic bargain, if you ask me.

Unfortunately, I can't afford such esoteric speakers, but I did manage a significant upgrade last week. My AV system is based on the Quad L-ite package, which I'd improved with 12L2 fronts and an L2 centre. Lo and behold, Hifi Trading Station advertised a pair of new Quad 21L2s in piano black on ebay (there is still a pair on there now, I think) for £399, as opposed to the cheapest internet price of £599. I was even able to pick them up, saving £40 in postage (thanks, Steve).

Suffice to say, the end result is STUNNING! Although these speakers are off the radar in terms of What Hifi reviews, I would definitely recommend folk who are after a compact floorstander to check them out. Bass is much tighter and fuller than before and imaging is unbelieveably good - it has that 'reach out and touch' quality. A particular strength is small-scale folk, blues, jazz and classical, when the musicians seem to be with you in the room. Cara Dillon, Nora Jones, Andy Sheppard, the latest B minor Mass from the Dunedin Consort - all stunning. I'm awaiting further improvements as the speakers are nowhere near run-in yet!

Sorreltiger:

Glad to hear another vote for the Rega Saturn, Baldy! As posted earlier, mine came from Frank Harvey (HiFix) for £799, supposedly ex demo. Although the offer says silver, mine was actually a brand new black one for the same price! Fantastic bargain, if you ask me.

Unfortunately, I can't afford such esoteric speakers, but I did manage a significant upgrade last week. My AV system is based on the Quad L-ite package, which I'd improved with 12L2 fronts and an L2 centre. Lo and behold, Hifi Trading Station advertised a pair of new Quad 21L2s in piano black on ebay (there is still a pair on there now, I think) for £399, as opposed to the cheapest internet price of £599. I was even able to pick them up, saving £40 in postage (thanks, Steve).

Suffice to say, the end result is STUNNING! Although these speakers are off the radar in terms of What Hifi reviews, I would definitely recommend folk who are after a compact floorstander to check them out. Bass is much tighter and fuller than before and imaging is unbelieveably good - it has that 'reach out and touch' quality. A particular strength is small-scale folk, blues, jazz and classical, when the musicians seem to be with you in the room. Cara Dillon, Nora Jones, Andy Sheppard, the latest B minor Mass from the Dunedin Consort - all stunning. I'm awaiting further improvements as the speakers are nowhere near run-in yet!

Cheers for that info - as mentioned, nothing's been ruled in or out. I am in effect starting with a blank canvass. All I can say at this point is that I've tended to be a little (Slight pause)...conservative when it comes to hi-fi choices in the past, so now, money permitting, I'll buy the best speakers/CDP I can. Never say never....

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin:OMG, this is a stunning amp.
emotion-5.gif

At this rate, if you find 'The Speakers' there is every danger you will never leave the house again!
emotion-1.gif

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin:

brittondave:well you could put the sneeky order in now for the Eb2's on the creit card and then you get to trial them for at least a month. They could be first on the dudition list.
emotion-14.gif

What a silly idea...
emotion-2.gif

But remember there's an added 2.5% VAT to pay once December is over.

ESP2009:plastic penguin:

brittondave:well you could put the sneeky order in now for the Eb2's on the creit card and then you get to trial them for at least a month. They could be first on the dudition list.
emotion-14.gif

What a silly idea...
emotion-2.gif

But remember there's an added 2.5% VAT to pay once December is over.

Cheers, but can't do anything (unlikely) before Xmas due to family and other commitments.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin:ESP2009:

plastic penguin:OMG, this is a stunning amp.
emotion-5.gif

At this rate, if you find 'The Speakers' there is every danger you will never leave the house again!
emotion-1.gif

No problems, it'll make staying in far more pleasurable.

Never heard of a hermit penguin?
emotion-5.gif

Oh, if my PhotoShop skills were actually existent... (The image that conjures!)
emotion-2.gif

Back on topic, I think someone said partnering the Leema with a Rega Saturn may sound warm, which is something I'd like to avoid. I know most replies have been directed towards speakers - that's understandable. With that said, I don't want to buy speakers and find that CD choices are very limited.

One thought: would the Pulse sound good with Roksan's Caspian CDP? If so, what speakers would shine in that company? remember, I want a pretty neutral presentation, lashed with detail...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts