Best PC Speakers - Sonos or Ruark?

Anselm1033

Oct 28, 2022
Visit site
I do most of my listening while working at the PC. I'd like to upgrade the sound significantly from the BOSE Soundcraft Mini I've had plugged into it for years! The computer has a Creative Labs ZXRI built in to the motherboard, so I assume that's an excellent source. It has optical out.

Basically I'd like to use it for general PC sound, audio via Spotify, YouTube / Netflix on the computer.
  • I'd love to stretch to KEF LSX, but can't justify the budget.
  • I tried Q Acoustics M20. Excellent, but the speakers are 30cm deep and with a smaller room / desktop situation I couldn't make that work physically.
  • Alternatives I'm considering:
    • Ruark MR1 MK2
    • Sonos Beam Gen 2
Questions:
  1. I know the Sonos is excellent and it would integrate with other SONOS gear I have and sit nicely on the desk. However, what would the sound be like in a near-field, desktop setting and what about stereo separation?
  2. I know the Ruark's are 5* and the size works well and aesthetic is good. But how would the audio quality compare? Would it be that much better than the BEAM for music that I could forego the additional functionality of the SONOS?
I haven't found a systematic comparison of these items anywhere - the Ruarks tend to get compared with a pair of Sonos One, but those don't have PC input, so no good.

Any experience with these setups gratefully received!

abacus

Go to a pro music store and get speakers designed for the job in hand (Home studio setup) and a good audio interface, this will give you the best sound per pound. If using directly on a desk also get some isolation pads/stands which will give a further improvement to the sound.

Bill

Anselm1033

Oct 28, 2022
Visit site
Interesting. I've often wondered what the advantages are for sound - if any - of hifi speakers over a flat-response near-field studio monitor. My son has a pair of Rokit RP5 G4 in a bedroom studio. They are good. Is that the sort of thing you mean? They are large for my purpose (like the Q Acoustics M20). I was wondering if there was a way to get equivalent sound in a smaller / more convenient package via these other options, or something else. Main concern is sound quality in a compact size within budget.

abacus

Interesting. I've often wondered what the advantages are for sound - if any - of hifi speakers over a flat-response near-field studio monitor. My son has a pair of Rokit RP5 G4 in a bedroom studio. They are good. Is that the sort of thing you mean? They are large for my purpose (like the Q Acoustics M20). I was wondering if there was a way to get equivalent sound in a smaller / more convenient package via these other options, or something else. Main concern is sound quality in a compact size within budget.

Yes, that’s the type, and they come in all shapes and sizes, which is why I said go to a pro music store (There are also plenty of online stores to help you narrow your choice) and see what suits your budget.

Bill

RickSchultz

Jan 13, 2022
Visit site
In case anyone checks out this thread - I can speak to the Ruark MK1 MK2s. I've been using them for the last 2 years and they're excellent.
However, they are small - you won't get great bass, so you'll need a separate sub. Fortunately, they come with a sub out. I picked up a used Paradigm sub - nothing great, but it adds that warmth which is otherwise missing from the small Ruarks.

The Ruarks are great for music and TV, at least in my home office. Not enough power for a living room, though. Music is clear, vocals are crisp - overall very enjoyable. I have them on for at least 4 hours a day and they do just fine.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts