Help to place speakers

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
I'm currently rebuilding my front room. It has been completely gutted and is in the process of being rebuilt. I have already started the plasterboarding and have put in place trunking for speakers. However, I thought I'd have a look online recently to double check my speaker placement and, it seems, things have moved on. Now I'm uncertain about the plans I had in place and would welcome any words of advice before I am committed (the plasterer is coming in December!!!) and miss this ideal opportunity.

I was going to use Monitor Audio Silver 6 fronts and centres (I considered in-walls for a while) )and then use 4 x CT256-FX speakers for the surround and rears to create a 7.1 setup. However, I am not convinced this will provide me the best solution. It seems that Atmos and other 3d sound solutions are all the rage and my initial proposed apporach will not support this. So, here's latest proposal.

22983344531_f228b0213f_b.jpg

The square boxes are the fronts, centre and rears. I am intending these to be the Monitor Audio Silver 6AV12. The round boxes will be in-ceiling Monitor Audio CP-265 speakers. My configuration/placement does not seem to meet the Atmos spec but does approximately reflect the 5.1.4 setup detailed in the Yamaha 3050 Receiver manual. With a bit of effort, I could move the front high speakers further towards the sofa which would appear to more closely (but not precisely) match the Atmos spec for 5.1.4. Should I do this or will they be OK where they are? Is there anything else I should be considering?

I guess I looking for some confirmation/reassurance that my approach is good (or at least) not bad. I don't want to splash the cash but still end up with a sub-optimal solution due to poor speaker placement. Any help, advice or recommendations would be gratefully received.

RickyDeg

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
From what I've heard DTS:X will allow a more flexible speaker placement for immersive audio, compared to the more 'strict' recommendations by Dolby Atmos so I guess your best hope is to lean towards that format for this particular installation.

That said, I'm no expert on immersive audio and have no intention of becoming one *stop* lol

Dolby Atmos supports front and rear height speakers as well. Check the guide:

https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/PUSA/Files/Dolby%2520Atmos/Dolby-Atmos-Home-Theater-Installation-Guidelines.pdf&ved=0CBoQFjAAahUKEwjvtqydoo3JAhVPcI4KHc3LB2U&usg=AFQjCNHrB182xxqe19MlzTlxRZ62WUePBw

You can select the speaker positions in your AVR's menu.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
I'm tryng to match the Atmos spec. They could come quite a long way forward along the side walls (in the tray ceiling) but they would not line up with the fronts and rears. So, I'm considering if I can accomodate them in line with the fronts and rears. It's gonna cause me some real pain and stress but I think I can do it.

The end result still won't be a perfect match. The rears will be not be surrounds. This can't be helped.....it's a limitation of the room but I'm hoping the Silver FX will help compensate somewhat. The sofa will be too far back, so the rear heights will be almost directly above. The front heights can be placed in approximately the right postion.

I'm annoyed at myself for not thinking about this enough when planning out the room. I thought I'd be able to accommodate whatever cropped up. But I can't. And I' annoyed. I like perfect and I'm not going to get it. Damn! Others things are being to emerge which aren't perfect either. And I'm under pressure to be ready for the plasterer and I'm not. I think I'll go and have a lie down.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
What are your room's dimensions? I would suggest putting speaker cables in for a 7.1.4 system (to include side surrounds) just in case you wish to upgrade.

4.5 metres by 4.5 metres, roughly. I'm going to place conduit under the floor. Currently, we onlly have the over site concrete. I need to put down insulation, then (wet) underfloor heating and then screed over the top. I'm planning to run conduit under the insultion to carry the speaker cable to the wall behind the sofa. Unfortunately, it'll have to be bare wires up to the speaker on the wall, but they will be hidden by the sofa.

Whiel I can place a surround on one side of the sofa (next to the wiindow) it will be diffult on the other side because of the fireplace. That said, it will not be diffult to put in the conduit, just on case.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
The ceiling speakers don't have to line up with fronts. Mine aren't.

I can get mine to line up but it's going to be a pain. I think I need to agree with my wife that we might need to delay the plasterer. She will not be pleased.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
After a lot of messing around, the speaker placement will be

23031791772_4ed1c55237_c.jpg

I've still got some conduit to run and drop some plasterboard and modifiy the placement of some noggins but I'm more or less there. :)

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
Looks good! I can see good space for some side surrounds. ;)

The drawing is deceiving. It will be tricky to get the surrounds into the room....but I'll make sure it can be supported, if circumstances change.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
I'm happy that the Silver 6AV12 represents the best 5.1 speaker package for me and Monitor Audio have recommended the CP265-IDC for the four inceiling speakers (to go with this speaker package). I still need to decide on the AV receiver, TV and source.

Currently, I'm leaning towards the Yamaha RX-2050. It seems to tick all the boxes without costing silly money. The Marantz SR7009 also seems to get good reviews. Should I be considering the more potent Yamaha RX-3050? Any thoughts? I'm keen to avoid a receiver which may cause the speakers to tend towards harshness, so want something relatively smooth.

My previous TV was a Pioneer Kuro. It's a bit of a beast (by today's standard), a bit old and currently located in my bedroom. I'm looking for 4K, 55-65 inch model which is not curved. Not sure how much I want to spend but £4K (LG65EF950V) sounds too much!

As for the source, I've not given it any though at all. Previously, I used a Play Station and, more laterly, a (cheap) Sony bluray player. Is Oppo the way to go? BTW, the internet where I live is hopeless, so online sources are ruled out :(

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
The normal position for surround speakers in a 7.1 set-up is alongside the listening position, with the rears behind. You can raise them up for better dispertion. There's loads of information online from Doby and others.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts