Suggest upgrades to match the Leema

Won't be buying anything for the next month or so. Most of you know my admiration for PMC speakers, but what alternatives would be a cracking match (Leema speakers excluded).

I like the Spendor SA-1s, but don't think it will give enough bass punch. Likewise, MA GS10s are fabulous speakers, so other suggestions would be gratefully received.

Also, I'll be looking at CDP and turntable. I don't object at going second hand, so budget is fairly flexible on all items.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

A

Anonymous

theres a 192 on fleebay

and whats wrong with leema speakers

A

Anonymous

What about some EB2s? I bet they have excellent bass given their size and infinite baffle. Good price too.

Have you considered trying the Spendor A5? Are floorstanders out?

igglebert:What about some EB2s? I bet they have excellent bass given their size and infinite baffle. Good price too. Have you considered trying the Spendor A5? Are floorstanders out?

Would've thought A5 and the Leema would be tasty...but err indoors is pretty much dug her claws in and likes standmounters.

Agreed on the EBs: also thought about Focal Labs, Neats and possibly B&W 805S.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Shame you can't move quickly on some floorstanders.

There are a pair of brand new, gloss black, Roksan FR5s on eBay for £1k.

Not bad for some 4 star rated speakers at their RRP of £2250.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
I was tempted by the Leema Stream to match my Pulse, but held back because I couldn't hear one. Arcam was another option, and I spent some time tracking 192s on ebay! In the end, I went off to Frank Harvey in Cov and listened to the two Regas and the latest Arcams. The Saturn was significantly better than anything else IMO. As I was also able to get the special deal (£729) advertised on the HiFix website for a black player instead of silver, I was a very happy bunny!

The Saturn produces an amazingly detailed sound, but much more full than my old CD72 which sounded a bit harsh with the Leema. It was for this reason that I was wary of the CD192.

A

Anonymous

the 192 is good with the pulse but its down fall was rock music it can struggle a bit with separation. the saturn was excellent but i remember pp saying he doesnt like a system with warmth and i felt the saturn was quite warm as is the stream but not as much imo

brendonw

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I really shouldn't be in this thread as its proving a temptation for yet more upgrades - £1200 in 2 months.

Interesting stuff tho
emotion-1.gif

pauladamss:the 192 is good with the pulse but its down fall was rock music it can struggle a bit with separation. the saturn was excellent but i remember pp saying he doesnt like a system with warmth and i felt the saturn was quite warm as is the stream but not as much imo

I like a little warmth but after using Alpha 7 amp I need a little more neutrality.

The more I listen to the Pulse the more I love it. Yes, it has the neutrality I need, even with Arcam CD73T and Marantz Tuner. It's also worth mentioning the transparency and timing which is ear-twitchingly good. The only downside is the bass, but that is due to the 30 year old speakers I'm using. Their bass is wonderful but there's so little of it...

A

Anonymous

Hey Mr Penguin,

Near me in Southampton there is a shop that retails Monopulse speakers and Leema kit to..... I have heard the Monopulse and they are in my opinion sensational speakers..... If I had the cash that is where I would wave it instantly.....but thats me.....and also their looks are otherworld........ however I think an audition would be a fantastic idea.

Anyway good luck with your quest.....I am on the verge of buying some Rega RS1's in piano white for upstairs.

Love and peace D

A

Anonymous

you should try and demo the stream then id say it only has a little warmth with a bass with more attack than the 192 and adds to the organic sound of the pulse

brittondave:

Hey Mr Penguin,

Near me in Southampton there is a shop that retails Monopulse speakers and Leema kit to..... I have heard the Monopulse and they are in my opinion sensational speakers..... If I had the cash that is where I would wave it instantly.....but thats me.....and also their looks are otherworld........ however I think an audition would be a fantastic idea.

Anyway good luck with your quest.....I am on the verge of buying some Rega RS1's in piano white for upstairs.

Love and peace D

Oh yes, rather good them Monopulse towers. Heard them with the Naim Nait kit about 3 years ago. However, I declined them then because of our little'un was only 4 years old - mucky fingers on that material? still think it's risky, whizzing around on her bike with friends.

Great choice of speaker, but not practical with a young family...
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Agreed..............I guess they do have "kick me" written all over them to a four year old! sounds like you need something out of the way......or something built like a bank vault door.....or as I do have my main listening room upstairs in the bedroom.

brittondave:Agreed..............I guess they do have "kick me" written all over them to a four year old! sounds like you need something out of the way......or something built like a bank vault door.....or as I do have my main listening room upstairs in the bedroom.

Even though she's 7 now, she still is grubby (finger painting, chocolate, felt tip pens etc) so although the speakers I had, RS6s, didn't have "kick me" on the front, at least they were easy to clean. Any prospective speaker will need to be of the same substance.

A

Anonymous

Hi PP,

Just wondered whether you have considered ProAc speakers. I know some people tend to recommend only what they have, but I'm chuffed with mine, and WHF recommend the Response D18s with the Tucana, so maybe ProAc and Leema would be a good match...

Hedgehog

Hedgehog:

Hi PP,

Just wondered whether you have considered ProAc speakers. I know some people tend to recommend only what they have, but I'm chuffed with mine, and WHF recommend the Response D18s with the Tucana, so maybe ProAc and Leema would be a good match...

Hedgehog

Another one to my list
emotion-2.gif
. Cheers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts