Should I Buy Bargain Arcam CD192 ?

ianandyr

Sep 1, 2008
Visit site
Hi, first post so please forgive any naivety.

I have the opportunity to pick up an Arcam CD192 pretty cheaply. I currently have a Pioneer DVD656A running through an Onkyo TX-SR875 biwired into B&W 685's. I'm quite happy with the sound from CD's but suspect I could do a lot better and hence my interest in the Arcam. I was interested in general opinions on this set-up, in particular would I be 'wasting' the CD192 in this set-up and therefore see little improvement or would the player offer a worthwhile improvement in CD sound quality.

Lastly if I do go down this road should I be using the analogue outputs from the CD192 with a quality interconnect rather than the digital out as I do at present (reasoning the DACs in the Onkyo are better than those in my Pioneer) ?

Thoughts, views, advice much appreciated 

A

Anonymous

If you love Arcam kit and the way it sounds, then by all means, go for the CD192. It is a very good CD player in it's own right, but it tends to be somewhere in the middle for most people, depending on how they like their music.

I personally prefer analogue interconnects for my hi-fi.

ianandyr

Sep 1, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Evilwolf. I prefer a detailed sound with plenty of midrange clarity rather than an attacking sound or lots of bass so maybe a middle of the road player would suit me well. I guess I'm more interested to know how much of the improvement I might expect from a top-dollar player like this might not make it through the Onkyo ?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
If you're going to use it through the Onkyo, connect its analogue outputs to the front left and right inputs on the multichannel analogue input bank, as this will give the most direct signal path.

ianandyr

Sep 1, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Andrew. I have a few SACDs and a few DVD-As so I'll probably want to keep the multi-channel inputs wired up to the Pioneer. Any view on the next best input - I was thinking the CD input.ÿ

Any thoughts on the wisdom of popping the Arcam into my setup ?ÿ

A

Anonymous

The CD192 was selling until a few months ago for £899 but has been replaced by an updated player.
The CD192 can now be bought for £399 new (I wont say where - but reputable dealer on ebay.
Its a good machine and What Hifi gave if 5 stars at £899. I don't think you will find better at the £400 mark.

ianandyr

Sep 1, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Heystak. I guess from your signature that you are a fan of the player and I don't doubt its credentials or quality. What I'm struggling with most is whether when paired up with the Onkyo and the B&Ws I'll see a noticeable improvement over the DVD 656A.

A

Anonymous

For £400.00 or slightly lower or higher, depending on how lucky you are on E-Bay, the Cyrus CD8x is miles ahead of the Arcam CD192, especially in terms of imaging and detail resolution.

Go for this and you will not be dissappointed. A word of caution however, the right pairing is essential for Cyrus kit, to perform at it's peak.

It did not suit my system, and that was why I had to sell mine....but I dream of it everyday!

ianandyr

Sep 1, 2008
Visit site
Thanks again. Good to know the Cyrus scores on detail and imagery. I had considered it but been put off by talk of brightness/harshness. I still however, have a fundamental question which is does it make sense (i.e. should I expect a worthwhile improvement) to replace my Pioneer DVD 656 with a £1000 CD player, albeit that it can be picked up for 400 quid, in a system that otherwise comprises the Onkyo and the B&Ws ?

A

Anonymous

I'm (very) slightly curious as to how the MF XRay compares to the Cyrus 8x. In the unlikely event that anyone has experience, please comment.......:)

A

Anonymous

Hi jack time! Im also toying with getting a cdp to replace my denon dv2930 and have been toying with the idea of getting a cyrus 6s or kandy mk111! Is it likley that cyrus onkyo partnership could be a bit fierce and siblant(i hate siblance) Any opinions welcome!

ianandyr

Sep 1, 2008
Visit site
Anyone care to dive in with an answer to my original question? Does it make sense to pair either of the fine £1000 CD players recommended on this forum or indeed the Arcam CD192 I originally asked about with an Onkyo TX-SR875 av-receiver and B&W 685 speakers. This is as a CD player replacement for a Pioneer DVD 656A. What I don't really know is will the Onkyo/B&W combination do justice to the much better CD player or does it have too limited a stereo amplification capability to do justice to such expensive (albeit I can probably get each one of them for around £400-£450) CD players.

kusum65

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
Im not sure about your amp but i run an arcam 192 through 601s and im very happy with it. It was a big improvement on its little brother the 72 , which i use to own. Everything hangs together better and the base is tighter more focused. I think you will see a definet benefit but a word of warning. Its not a big cuddly 90s arcam , it sounds great with jazz and classical recordings but can be to revealling with modern pop/indie stuff. Not long after i got it i bought Super furry animals album and was taken a back by how forward and in your face it sounded.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
the CDP upgrade will give you a massive improvement - i always say by the best you can get and there are some very very good dicounted players around. the mf x ray is a far better player than the kandy CDP

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
EvilWolf:
For £400.00 or slightly lower or higher, depending on how lucky you are on E-Bay, the Cyrus CD8x is miles ahead of the Arcam CD192, especially in terms of imaging and detail resolution.

Go for this and you will not be dissappointed. A word of caution however, the right pairing is essential for Cyrus kit, to perform at it's peak.

It did not suit my system, and that was why I had to sell mine....but I dream of it everyday!

ÿ

ÿ

I don't think so fella

ÿ

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:EvilWolf:

ÿ

ÿ

I don't think so fella

ÿ

Nor me.
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Joel Sim & Graham Thomas,

I guess it's only the two of you that think otherwise, for obvious reasons. There is a very good reason that the Cyrus CD8x has been winning multiple awards for years while the Arcam CD192 has been gathering dust.

When you comment, do it objectively without bias.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
have to say i don't like the Cyrus CD8x either - i have mf v8 and dac and is far better than the CD8x - awards don't mean everything a 4 star product maybe 5 stars to your ears and 5 could be less - its personal choice and decision the poster needs to make you oculd be right he may prefer the CD8x when he sits and listens to it.

Guess id depend if he can pick up an cd8x for £400 quid as well - don't think you can argue that the CD192 for that money is a bargain

A

Anonymous

This is all going to depend on personal tastes and what suits your individual system.

The Arcam, MF and Cyrus all have their merits, but ultimately you need to decide, so get out there and listen!

I personally love the Cyrus and for me, it blew the other two out of the water (far more resolution, detail, timing. The new FMJ range to my ears, are living in the new Cyrus SE shadow). But this is understandable as the Cyrus' presentation is completely different to the XRay and Arcam entirely.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
EvilWolf:

Joel Sim & Graham Thomas,

I guess it's only the two of you that think otherwise, for obvious reasons. There is a very good reason that the Cyrus CD8x has been winning multiple awards for years while the Arcam CD192 has been gathering dust.

When you comment, do it objectively without bias.

I think you'll find the CD192 was a 5 star product

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts