Budget Hi Fi

Gadusmorhua

Jan 19, 2024
Visit site
I hope this thread serves as encouragement to anyone else like me, who have started out at the very bottom rung of the ladder.
Over the years my music listening was reduced to MP3s through my pc and its poor speakers. Then I found out about dongle DACs, and used a Fiio to radically improve my sound. Mordaunt M20 speakers were a big improvement, then I splashed out vintage gear, a Cambridge A1 and a Marantz 41 Cd, for another hundred quid. By the time I hooked up a Mojo (another eBay bargain) it was sounding sweet, to my ears at least. A WiiM Pro Plus to stream my Tidal sub was another real value buy.By then I realised my speakers were the weak point, and I made an offer on a pair of damaged BR03, just a scuffed rear base corner.When they turned up I was over the moon to learn the dealer had sold the damaged speaker, but had honoured the sale with some 'open box' returns. Being click-happy I also made an offer on a year old PMA600 ne, which I heard was a reasonable pairing with the speakers.
I realise I haven't even dipped my toe into the audiophile experience, more like standing at the lakeside, but I could have cried when I listened to Dusty (and other vocal stuff) on my new gear. I'm struggling to wonder how it can get any better, in fact.
Apart from cables and the WiiM everything I've bought has been used, and tallies up to just under £750, I can't believe I've got such a nice sounding system so cheaply. One day I'll get the chance to hear some real audiophile systems for myself, and decide whether upgrading is worthwhile for me. I heard you need to triple the cost of your existing system to hear a difference, so perhaps I'll just stay where I am right now- lost in music!

Dom

Its nice to hear that your system is sweet.

To get any tangible improvement, it tends to be exponentially more expensive. So, £750 turns into £2000 to £3000.

Its a money pit.

Best to enjoy what you got. And like you say, you struggle it can't get any better, keep that in mind. (y)

Fandango Andy

The fact you are enjoying it is the most important thing. Upgrading is tough because you often have to make a big jump to a new price bracket before you notice a real difference. For example there are better amps that you could get second hand for £50 to £100 from NAD, Marantz, and other Cambridge Audio models, but they are probably not so much better that it's worth the trade. (Having said that, if you see something great at the right price, you can always sell the A1 on, or you may want a second system somewhere in you home and could utilise it as the start of that!). A modern equivalent to the A1 is probably the Cambridge Audio AXA25 for £250 and like the A1 there there are better amps for a little bit more money, but not so much better than its worth changing. To make a notable difference you could be spending the best part of £1,000.

That's the advantage of 2nd hand over new. If you buy popular products, in good condition, at sensible prices, you can always sell them on without losing much, sometimes making a small profit. The downside is the obvious risk that things may not work properly, and you don't get a chance to audition before buying. Most of us live in homes that other people have lived in before, and buy second hand cars, but are afraid of second hand hifi.

To mix my metaphors, if you dip your toe in, you could find yourself going down a rabbit hole chasing unicorns.

Gadusmorhua

Jan 19, 2024
Visit site
The fact you are enjoying it is the most important thing. Upgrading is tough because you often have to make a big jump to a new price bracket before you notice a real difference. For example there are better amps that you could get second hand for £50 to £100 from NAD, Marantz, and other Cambridge Audio models, but they are probably not so much better that it's worth the trade. (Having said that, if you see something great at the right price, you can always sell the A1 on, or you may want a second system somewhere in you home and could utilise it as the start of that!). A modern equivalent to the A1 is probably the Cambridge Audio AXA25 for £250 and like the A1 there there are better amps for a little bit more money, but not so much better than its worth changing. To make a notable difference you could be spending the best part of £1,000.

That's the advantage of 2nd hand over new. If you buy popular products, in good condition, at sensible prices, you can always sell them on without losing much, sometimes making a small profit. The downside is the obvious risk that things may not work properly, and you don't get a chance to audition before buying. Most of us live in homes that other people have lived in before, and buy second hand cars, but are afraid of second hand hifi.

To mix my metaphors, if you dip your toe in, you could find yourself going down a rabbit hole chasing unicorns.
A friend is having the A1, I found a used Denon 600ne to go with the speakers when I bought them. It could have equally been a Marantz, if one were available right then and there. I'm a little impetuous, I'm afraid. I had read and watched a few reviews on the Denon, so I took the plunge. Fortunately it worked out.
I started having slight reservations about how good the BR03 soundstage is, but after moving furniture and positioning them accurately it now sounds fantastic. I found it hard to believe what 20 cm and a few degrees made. I'm glad I allowed a spare metre on my speaker cables now!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts