Arcam CD5 CD player cannot do gapless playback (EDIT - software update now available - see post 86)

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Smokiro

Oct 5, 2021
Visit site
They’d read it, but between every posting there would be a short gap. Whether you wanted it or not 😉
They would call the meeting and in complete silence sack the CEO.

But jokes aside. yeah. Is day like any other day in arcam. Looking how long it took them implementing HDMI 2.1 those things are quiet complicated for them maybe they open champagne.

And now it is the category winner of CD Player of 2023. Good job that firmware update was released when it was.

Ergonomically it works for me on paper because the display is above the drawer. When it’s the other way around I can’t see track selection with the drawer open.

matthewpianist

And now it is the category winner of CD Player of 2023. Good job that firmware update was released when it was.

Ergonomically it works for me on paper because the display is above the drawer. When it’s the other way around I can’t see track selection with the drawer open.

If I was in the market, and now that the CD5 firmware has been sorted, I would likely go for the new Arcam kit. It looks very nice and will likely sound it too, based on my experience with the brand.

Reactions: nopiano
D

Deleted member 201267

Does the CD5 now play gapless straight out of the box then, or, do buyers still have the hassle of fixing it themselves ?

manicm

Class....yes I know but how exactly is it done was my question, assuming you don't know.
And yes, my Oppo does indeed do gapless (actually found one CD that requires it) but is that a function of the player itself or the way the disc itself has been formatted?

Having had several disc players in my lifetime I don't care how, and gapless playback has always been a given. Frankly these questions are getting tiresome. I have NEVER had a disc player - be it CDP or Blu-ray or DVD, that has not done gapless.

As far as I know it should be the Redbook function of the player.

And I bought my first CDP nearly 32 years, so I do have the feintest of clues and experience as to know what I'm talking about.

FYI I had an Arcam Solo Mini - and it played gapless CDs as any other.

bristollinnet

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
I wonder what Arcam would make of this thread ?!
I’m curious as to if and when WHF will respond to criticism of their review process and the (even now) lack of updating their original glowing review if only to warn buyers to make sure the dealer updates the firmware before purchase.

Longer term, might I suggest they need to reassure readers (online or print) that they will be fearless in criticising manufacturers when they release immature product. If they remain quiet on these broader aspects, I’m left with little option but to consider WHF as just somewhat expensive advertorial.

Smokiro

Oct 5, 2021
Visit site
I’m curious as to if and when WHF will respond to criticism of their review process and the (even now) lack of updating their original glowing review if only to warn buyers to make sure the dealer updates the firmware before purchase.

Longer term, might I suggest they need to reassure readers (online or print) that they will be fearless in criticising manufacturers when they release immature product. If they remain quiet on these broader aspects, I’m left with little option but to consider WHF as just somewhat expensive advertorial.
I consider them long time ago like this. Just as what is new coming end off.
It doesnt take long to see how those businesses operate. Similar to buying shares if you need recommendation from broker you shouldnt buy the shares.
Many buy just on recommendation without actually testing the gear.
The reason of the forums should be to inform younger colleagues in hobby to dont repeat the same mistakes.

manicm

It could be WHF were just not aware of the issue.

Reactions: Al ears

Oxfordian

An interesting thread, I cannot say that I've ever had a problem with gapless CDP's.

The point that I would make is that updating firmware in electrical products is now incredibly common, being a keen photographer each of my cameras has had firmware updates which have eradicated bugs, provided updates and improved features, my TV gets firmware updates regularly, my Hegel Amp has also had a number of firmware updates since I bought it.

Whilst it may be disappointing that the CD player in question doesn't do what it maybe should do when it is first taken out of the box the fact that a firmware update has been issued to rectify this and possibly some other issues is fine by me.

What I do find disappointing is that the review doesn't pick up the issue, gives those reading the review the impression that the CD player is one of the best players around and is without any issues, and then to rubber stamp that impression gives it an award, that is poor reviewing and poor journalism, it totally undermines the reviewers credibility completely.

A simple statement that the CDP is very good and could have received a 5 star review if the gapless issue wasn't there, that they had raised the issue with the manufacturer and been assured that this would be corrected with a firmware upgrade would have been helpful, but the reviewer didn't do this.

I've never been one for placing too much emphasis on one review but would look at a wide selection of reviews to get a more balanced approach, was the CDP in question reviewed by others and if so how did the CDP perform in the review?

There are lots of comments in this thread about the reputation of WHF. There’s a reason Haymarket dumped them. I’d imagine Future probably paid a pittance for the brand.

And please, no more comments about being shocked because this didn’t initially do gapless or that in X many years you’ve never had a player that didn’t do it. We get it.
Well I’ve owned CD players for at least 38 years. And they all played gaplessly.

Just thought you’d appreciate that, as you don’t own this thread.

D

Deleted member 201267

Obviously, what's the issue? Can you show me a review by any other publication that brings this, so called, deficiency to light?
Why was it not mentioned in the review then ?

Did they actually listen to this CD player ?

Surely it would been noticed ?

It is clearly a feature that is not acceptable as pointed out by many in this thread...

Last edited by a moderator:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts