Should I Buy Bargain Arcam CD192 ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ianandyr

Sep 1, 2008
Visit site
Interesting this thread has turned into debate about which player is best between the Arcam, the Cyrus and the MF. That was never the question although I am happy to read the views expressed.

If anyone would care to offer an opinion on my original question, namely is the Onkyo TX-SR875 in combination with B&W 685's up to the job of handling a high quality CD source (Arcam, Cyrus, MF, you name it frankly) and should I expect to hear a significant improvement in this set-up compared to my current source which is a Pioneer DVD 656A, I'd be most grateful to hear it.ÿ

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
matengawhat:the CDP upgrade will give you a massive improvement - i always say by the best you can get and there are some very very good dicounted players around. the mf x ray is a far better player than the kandy CDP

yes yes and yes

A

Anonymous

I don't have the B&Ws opting for RS6's instead but have recently upgraded by CDP to an MF X-Ray 8 from the one that is part of my CA640H (which was supposed to be a reasonable budget player).

The difference is quite phenomenal; I can hear thing with the MF X-Ray that just weren't there before and I haven't changed anything else as I've been using the ONKYO in the same modes etc and retained the same interconnects.

So my conclusion is that with a good quality CDP (your choice which one you plumb for) you will get a significant improvement over your Pioneer.

A

Anonymous

JoelSim - Yes, ages ago - I agree. However, while the competition has moved on by leaps and bounds, Arcam is still in hybernation mode.

Their latest products are further testimony to this fact.

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:EvilWolf:

Joel Sim & Graham Thomas,

I guess it's only the two of you that think otherwise, for obvious reasons. There is a very good reason that the Cyrus CD8x has been winning multiple awards for years while the Arcam CD192 has been gathering dust.

When you comment, do it objectively without bias.

I think you'll find the CD192 was a 5 star product

sure was, not that that particularly should sway anyone. I am biased only because I like mine. Neutral to warm is how I like it. Cyrus tends to bright to forward IMHO, but happy to take anyone's opinion.

A

Anonymous

ianandyr:Interesting this thread has turned into debate about which player is best between the Arcam, the Cyrus and the MF. That was never the question although I am happy to read the views expressed.
If anyone would care to offer an opinion on my original question, namely is the Onkyo TX-SR875 in combination with B&W 685's up to the job of handling a high quality CD sourceÿ

ÿ

I was asking almost the exact same question on another audio-visual forum recently (I've an 875 too, with Monitor Audio Radius 270 floorstanders), so I hear your frustration with people answering a different question. One vocal poster there argued there was no point in getting a CDP with an AV amp; some disagreed. I was concerned that a older and cheapish CDP might have a worse DAC than the Onkyo, although there's more to it than just the DAC.

Anyway, I ended up picking up a NAD 524 on ebay for just £16; the NAD won't be nearly as good as the Arcam CD192, but it ought to be able to test whether I can hear any difference. And the answer is that yes, compared with playing CDs through my old Toshiba DVD player on ToSlink, using the NAD with analogue cables gives a small but noticable difference. This is mainly found in warmth/reduced brightness but also stereo positioning. It's not enormous, but it's there.

To my mind, this suggests you should be able to hear something significant if you get a CD192, without (or before) having to go out to get a new stereo amp. Hope that helps.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Even if you didn't like the 192, in a couple of months you would get your money back 2nd hand on eBay. I sold a 7 year old cd92 for £275 recently.

ÿ

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:
Even if you didn't like the 192, in a couple of months you would get your money back 2nd hand on eBay. I sold a 7 year old cd92 for £275 recently.

ÿ

Good grief, my 4 year old Kandy III went for £200. Shocker...but you are in advertising...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts