Rega Elicit R - Happy

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
NHL may well be on the right track with his suggestion of a DC Blocking Filter IF it's the transformer that's humming. I never had any experience with these devices but have read several times that they can cure transformer hum. I'd also contact Rega to ask for their advice.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm pretty sure the transformer is the culprit, otherwise it looks like a very well built amp.

elicit_top_view.jpg

Have you tried opening it up and screwing down the transformer tightly? Unplugged of course.

They use a very light tightnig screw there. The bolt in my Roksan is equal to a thick weightlifting rod going throught the transformer, thought the borrom of the chasis terminating with heavy duty nuts both on top and bottom. Obviosly these big transformers carry some juice and can hum if not well taken care off.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Have you tried opening it up and screwing down the transformer tightly?

'Opening it up' voids the warranty. This thread has already attracted the attention of Paul Darwin (from Rega) who posted earlier. The dealer and Rega are going to work together to try and resolve the issue.

Whether you are right, or not, it's pointless at this stage to go doing any DIY fixes (and would be a bit silly to say as much on a thread that Rega have taken note of and may read again).

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
@chebby

Yes of course. He needs to ask for permission by the manufacturer/customer service. Many manufacturers will allow a normal screw tightening to avoid the uneccessary fuss of changing amps just for a loose screw.

Paul, your screw is insufficient.

There. :grin:

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Vladimir said:
@chebby

Yes of course. He needs to ask for permission by the manufacturer/customer service. Many manufacturers will allow a normal screw tightening to avoid the uneccessary fuss of changing amps just for a loose screw.

Paul, your screw is insufficient.

There. :grin:
FFS, that's really silly advice. The item is under warranty. The manufacturer and the dealer have both taken the matter in hand. Why do you want to screw this up by suggesting something that voids the warranty?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I am eering towards another Elciit R without a hum - I love the presentation of the Elicit R - my head is a mess at the minute with trying to think of a replacement. i want to stick with the Elicit R

Folkman

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Actually the picture shown is of the Elicit , not the Elicit R.

I would deffinately take up Paul Darwins offer to help sort things out one way or another. You cant get much better service than that.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Given how Rega are responding, I agree with those who are advising you to stick with them for a while. The alternatives could well be more costly.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Folkman said:
Actually the picture shown is of the Elicit , not the Elicit R.

I would deffinately take up Paul Darwins offer to help sort things out one way or another. You cant get much better service than that.

Kudos to Rega for taking care of their customers.

Here is a photo of the Rega Elicit R. Different screw in this one. :grin:

RegaElicitR7.jpg

Dazmb

Aug 26, 2007
Visit site
paul darwin said:
Sincere apologies for the difficulties you are suffering with the Elicit R and the possibility of humming from the transformer.

Paul Darwin

Rega Research

Not wishing to hijack this thread, but Paul as I stumbled across this thread can I get you to clear the water with regard to hum issues from Rega amps please. I have a Brio R like many people (which I love), and it is paired up with your RS1 speakers and latest speaker cable and interconnect. My Brio omits a faint humming, although only really audible with no music playing. Lots of people on internet threads have mentioned hum issues with the Brio R, and it has become known as an acceptable thing which should be expected as long as the level is quite low. Is this correct?

matthewpiano

Just to add, every Cambridge Audio amp I have ever owned, including the 740A (so not just their entry-level stuff) has hummed in this way. I think a certain level of hum is quite normal with some toroidal transformers. However, if you can hear it during quiet music and from your usual listening position something needs looking at.

I agree with others - Paul Darwin from Rega is offering direct support, which is more than you would get from most manufacturers of most things. Given that you love the sound of the Elicit-R I would stick with it at least long enough to see if the issues can be resolved one way or another. If that doesn't bring success, then look elsewhere.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

ifor said:
I'm amazed that you appear to have not even had the courtesy to respond to the post from the guy from Rega Research.

I'm guessing that Steve hasn't seen the post, as I'm sure he would have done.

matthewpiano

Vladimir said:
Huming transformers and listening to washing machines and refridgerators with my music is not acceptable. Zero level of hum is normal. Every audible hum od buzz is considered defect unless the manufacturer clearly states that his gear has this hum and thats what you get for your money.

:shame:

http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?f=85&t=53138

I do agree with you in many ways, but it is a fact that Regas aren't the only amps with toroids that produce some hum. As well as Cambridge I've also heard low level hum from NAD amps as well. That doesn't mean it would be acceptable to me now (I've never heard hum from any Marantz, Pioneer, Arcam or Rotel amp). However, I think Rega are providing good support here so it is worth Steve seeing where that can take him.

Dazmb

Aug 26, 2007
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Huming transformers and listening to washing machines and refridgerators with my music is not acceptable. Zero level of hum is normal. Every audible hum od buzz is considered defect unless the manufacturer clearly states that his gear has this hum and thats what you get for your money.

:shame:

http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?f=85&t=53138

Sorry, but I think you will find that that isn't a universally accepted view. And you don't have to try to hard to find contrary opinions on the internet from amp designers / knowledgeable owners. You may not want to hear any hum as a personal preference though which is fine and understandable. But based on the number of Brio R's reported with low level hum it is hard to believe that Rega are unaware of this and let so many of them go out faulty having passed through (hopefuly) QA - hence why I asked the question to Paul from Rega.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
ifor said:
I'm amazed that you appear to have not even had the courtesy to respond to the post from the guy from Rega Research.

Perhaps he has as the man from Rega stated 'If you could contact me directly by e mail when a solution is found I would be very grateful,'. So direct email rather than on the forum. Let them sort it in private rather than public, Steve doesn't seem to me to be one to ignore some help

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
No prob guys I have spoken to Cymbiosis tonight again, I have emailed Paul Darwin via PFM - so I have respnded just been busy with domestic stuff tonight! I do want to stick with the Rega if I'm honest so going to have another listen tomorrow again to see if I can still hear it. Either way Rega have been excellent and I am sure they want to resolve the issue!

Just thought I'd do a 'hum' test on the Leema. With the room totally silent and with the amp on tuner select I turned it up to maximum volume and it is silent except for a tiny hiss out of both speakers. Take the volume down one notch and the hiss is undetectable.

Remember with my Arcams exactly the same: slight hiss when at full volume.

Not sure whether I've been lucky or some makes are less susceptible to humming than others.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
For the members who are doubting the issues of humming in some amps, I had 3 brio R's that hummed. 2 of which were so bad you could hear the buzzing over the music (my listening position is only 3-6 feet from amp,but this cannot be helped). As I am buying this amp as a hi fi product,for a considerable amount more money than a basic music system, how can that noise be acceptable? As previously mentioned tho in this thread, regas support was exceptional, and they sorted this and more for me. My amp is the nutz!

matthewpiano

stevebrock said:
No prob guys I have spoken to Cymbiosis tonight again, I have emailed Paul Darwin via PFM - so I have respnded just been busy with domestic stuff tonight! I do want to stick with the Rega if I'm honest so going to have another listen tomorrow again to see if I can still hear it. Either way Rega have been excellent and I am sure they want to resolve the issue!

I truly hope you get this sorted Steve as I know how much you enjoy the sound. Nothing would be more frustrating than finding the sound you really enjoy and then having to look for something else.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Just thought I'd do a 'hum' test on the Leema. With the room totally silent and with the amp on tuner select I turned it up to maximum volume and it is silent except for a tiny hiss out of both speakers. Take the volume down one notch and the hiss is undetectable.

Not sure whether I've been lucky or some makes are less susceptible to humming than others.

Steve's issue is about transformer buzzing not the inherent noise floor of the amplifier. It's good you can't hear any. - One magazin even gave full marks to something that buzzed noticeably.

I am in the camp of those that think that any amplifier should be 'electrically quiet', regardless of price. Some so called 'high end' manufacturers seem to get away with murder, with the help of some naive (or otherwise very compliant) reviewers.

a similar issue exists with 'whirring' cd player ... buzzing plasma tv's ... the list goes on.

regards

drummerman said:
plastic penguin said:

Steve's issue is about transformer buzzing not the inherent noise floor of the amplifier. It's good you can't hear any. - One magazin even gave full marks to something that buzzed noticeably.

I am in the camp of those that think that any amplifier should be 'electrically quiet', regardless of price. Some so called 'high end' manufacturers seem to get away with murder, with the help of some naive (or otherwise very compliant) reviewers.

a similar issue exists with 'whirring' cd player ... buzzing plasma tv's ... the list goes on.

regards

It just made me a bit paranoid. I've said previously that the amp doesn't make a noise but I've never listened in a 'dead' quiet room before.

As reviewers point out so often that any perceptible noise or vibration can effect the SQ, wondered if a heavy hum could do the same.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Just to clarify, it is the actual amp that is buzzing - not humming from the speakers!

In a quiet room it is noticable, however now I know it is there I am constantly aware of it especailly with quiet passages of music.

Yes, I am afraid that if I go looking for something else then I am going to lose the sound that I like so think I am going to stick with it!

I know looks should not come into it but it looks good also amongst my 'other' rega boxes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts