Posh ethernet cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'll probably get slated by certain forum members for asking this, but is there a high quality eternet cable out there anywhere? I'm currently running one from my laptop into an airport express and wish to ramp up the sound quality.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
You would be wasting your money. It would make no difference whatsoever. Hospitals, banks and air traffic control use standard ethernet cables - so should you.

A

Anonymous

Hmmm, not sure banks or hospitals are looking to improve their bass response, but hey, you never know

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Cidershed:Hmmm, not sure banks or hospitals are looking to improve their bass response, but hey, you never knowBut it is essential that their data gets through 100%. Your bass is just digital data, same as the position of an aircraft over London.

scene

Unless your pc is several tens' of metres away from the airport, then pretty much any CAT5 cable will do.
The questions you might want to ask are
- to what quality have I ripped my music? If it's not lossless, there is room for improvement
- what am I using to play my music? If it's straight to active speakers, then improving these may increase the quality, or if you're streaming it to an amp, could a Dac improve things?

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
Yep, agreed with Hammill, standard Cat cable, 1GB certified. Thats it.
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

My understanding is that just 1's and 0's flow down the millions of miles of Ethernet cable on our dear old planet.
As long as the devices at either end can produce and understand what is a 1 and what is a 0, in a timely fashion, that's all that matters.
So, buying expensive cat5 and patch cables may give you a warm glow and put a big smile on the retailers face. I have yet to be convinced it will make a difference.

But, who am I to question......

Best

Serenity

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
I have seen references to expensive ethernet cables and I am sure you can buy one, but it would be wrong to expect any sound qualilty improvement. Here is an example. It may bring some improvement in terms of looks, but only you can decide if this is what you want to pay for, especially is that ethernet cables are normally hidden out of sight.

Advice (if you want any) is to spend the money elsewhere.

AKDL1_Large_rdax_750x559%201.jpg

kena

May 28, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:You could always cut out the cable altogether and use wireless...

Ah but to ensure wireless quality pure Scottish Highland air is the recommended transfer medium
emotion-2.gif

DistortedVision

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
I use Belkin Fast Cat5e 350MHz snagless. Its mostly because I like the snagless molded RJ467 hood.

http://www.netshop.co.uk/productcategorydetail.aspx?categoryid=53604

There's also 500MHz Cat6 if you so desire:

http://www.netshop.co.uk/productcategorydetail.aspx?categoryid=53955

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
AlmaataKZ:
AKDL1_Large_rdax_750x559%201.jpg

Though of course while that cable may have the same RJ-45 plugs on either end as a standard Ethernet cable, it's not designed to conform to the Ethernet standard, nor indeed do its conductor pairs fulfill the same functions. Instead, it was designed purely as a digital audio cable, for use in Denon's proprietary Denon Link system.

A

Anonymous

interesting. I wonder if anyone has actually tried different ethernet connections as part of the music chain? From the answers here it doesn't sound like they have, plenty of responses talking about 1s and 0s being the same. In my experience cables make a significant difference.

Anyone got direct experience of different ethernet cables?

Andrew, saw those cables on a google search, £250 odd??!

A

Anonymous

Cidershed:
interesting. I wonder if anyone has actually tried different ethernet connections as part of the music chain? From the answers here it doesn't sound like they have, plenty of responses talking about 1s and 0s being the same. In my experience cables make a significant difference.

Anyone got direct experience of different ethernet cables?

Andrew, saw those cables on a google search, £250 odd??!

BUT CABLES DON'T MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE WITH ETHERNET!!! They can't. It's impossible.

I can only assume you have an association with a cable retailer? Sorry if that's blunt, but it's the only possible reason why someone would say there's a difference.

Rather than boring you with the technology, think about spotify. That comes through multiple routes to your computer, often changing paths to different cables minute by minute. Can you hear the difference? Of course not.

A

Anonymous

So is this more of the 'all cables sound the same' dross or is it specifically ethernet that exhibits identical characteristics regardless of materials and construction techniques?

A

Anonymous

nads:
Very politely put.

emotion-2.gif

Yeah, sorry, it's my job (ethernet networks) and I do get exasperated at times.

A

Anonymous

Cidershed:So is this more of the 'all cables sound the same' dross or is it specifically ethernet that exhibits identical characteristics regardless of materials and construction techniques?No, it's someone who doesn't understand the technology. Please research ethernet, even on wikipedia, and you'll understand why everyone is right save one person.

A

Anonymous

Sorry but what's the difference between asking about ethernet cables and any other cable? By the way, has anyone slating the question actually tried any of what they are scoffing at? I suspect not lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts