New cable: personal justification points

AJM1981

I currently use the simplest of shielded bare copper wires to which I attached some bananaplugs and I am not on the side of believing in any audible improvement with cables.

I believe there is connection or no connection. No in-betweens. I know heavily shielded cables can possibly only improve something when there is already loads of interference from nearby devices. But apart from studio environments or nearby radio devices I don’t really see the need for this.

But this could be my “favourite” for any other reason besides audio compared to my current wire.

S69d4426460ba4205b1d12c9f815957d1j.jpg_640x640Q90.jpg_.webp

- Better in optical sense.
My stands in the living come without cable guides and this way it looks slightly better and compliments the loudspeakers in color. And let’s be honest. It is for a living room, little optical improvements are always ok.

-Cats might be less interested
My current mantle is slightly thinner and they rarely get attracted when bumping into it.

- provides a sturdier connection between cable and plugs.
I am usually taking the shortest path. Now my bananaplugs are heavier than the cable it is on. Which is ok for its purpose of signal transportation but not for transportation in the moving context or dropping it accidentally on the ground etc. I know how to do it right but never really took the time (and fun)in selecting, collecting and spending an afternoon with materials to craft a pair.

-The price is probably right
It surprises me that there well made ok-priced USB cables about anywhere, but non bare wire loudspeaker cables of similar craft-quality range somewhere between 15 euro’s and anywhere imaginable.

So my points to justify getting another pair of cables of which I am not going to hear the difference in any sense.

Who else is on this side ;)?

Last edited:

AJM1981

Why do you feel the need to justify it?
Because when having cable x which works and replacing it with cable y which works seems otherwise senseless.

I heard someone of an audio company (with a pair of the most expensive loudspeakers in the room) saying he also didn’t really believe in it but a type of cable measured a 0.0xx % better, so they went with it. (No one would probably ever notice if someone would have swapped it with a diy store cable)

The fun world of the void of loudspeaker cables

D

Deleted member 201267

I currently use the simplest of shielded bare copper wires to which I attached some bananaplugs and I am not on the side of believing in any audible improvement with cables.

I believe there is connection or no connection. No in-betweens. I know heavily shielded cables can possibly only improve something when there is already loads of interference from nearby devices. But apart from studio environments or nearby radio devices I don’t really see the need for this.

But this could be my “favourite” for any other reason besides audio compared to my current wire.

S69d4426460ba4205b1d12c9f815957d1j.jpg_640x640Q90.jpg_.webp

- Better in optical sense.
My stands in the living come without cable guides and this way it looks slightly better and compliments the loudspeakers in color. And let’s be honest. It is for a living room, little optical improvements are always ok.

-Cats might be less interested
My current mantle is slightly thinner and they rarely get attracted when bumping into it.

- provides a sturdier connection between cable and plugs.
I am usually taking the shortest path. Now my bananaplugs are heavier than the cable it is on. Which is ok for its purpose of signal transportation but not for transportation in the moving context or dropping it accidentally on the ground etc. I know how to do it right but never really took the time (and fun)in selecting, collecting and spending an afternoon with materials to craft a pair.

-The price is probably right
It surprises me that there well made ok-priced USB cables about anywhere, but non bare wire loudspeaker cables of similar craft-quality range somewhere between 15 euro’s and anywhere imaginable.

So my points to justify getting another pair of cables of which I am not going to hear the difference in any sense.

Who else is on this side ;)?
I can understand there might be a case, POSSIBLY, for shielded cables if used in environments with a lot of interference, such as studios as suggested, but there are very expensive cables sold by Kimber for example that use no shielding either :-

Last edited by a moderator:

Friesiansam

Because when having cable x which works and replacing it with cable y which works seems otherwise senseless.

I heard someone of an audio company (with a pair of the most expensive loudspeakers in the room) saying he also didn’t really believe in it but a type of cable measured a 0.0xx % better, so they went with it. (No one would probably ever notice if someone would have swapped it with a diy store cable)

The fun world of the void of loudspeaker cables
If speaker manufacturers don't believe in flash speaker cables, why does anybody believe in them?

AJM1981

I can understand there might be a case, POSSIBLY, for shielded cables if used in environments with a lot of interference, such as studios as suggested, but their are very expensive cables sold by Kimber for example that use no shielding either :-
Point. I also wonder if shielding a cable in those kind of situations with interference will do anything useful to consumer audio.

They are heatedly discussed on every hi-fi forum :)
Here it is below zero. I get the impression most people on this forum buy cables for comfort of use and appearance and know it has no audible benefits. That's why I prefer this place above places without a sober view on things.

gasolin

some places you can try cables, get a cable box with a few cables to try at home, with or without a deposit, often with a deposit

My cable, it's not the thickest cable i have, it's not the most expensive cable i have, it's not even shielded but atter a week or 2 it's got better bass, won't break the bank and it's thick enough for almost any speaker and amp combination, except the most demanding floorstand speakers and 100 pound 1000 watt in 1 ohm amp

Reactions: AJM1981

AJM1981

some places you can try cables, get a cable box with a few cables to try at home, with or without a deposit, often with a deposit

My cable, it's not the thickest cable i have, it's not the most expensive cable i have, it's not even shielded but atter a week or 2 it's got better bass, won't break the bank and it's thick enough for almost any speaker and amp combination, except the most demanding floorstand speakers and 100 pound 1000 watt in 1 ohm amp

a cable tryout is a great service.

Since I exclude any audio properties I end up with what is a plus in home deco at the preferred length and a bit of sturdiness.

I ordered a pair of the cable I posted. The bananaplugs of my current cable are well attached for normal use, but don’t survive a drop-test. Since I dropped the plug-side a few times unintentionally while swapping a loudspeaker (and could reattach things) these provide a bit more forgiveness besides the cat argument : p

Gray

Don't underestimate your cable just because it's cheap.
It's got a cross sectional area of 4mm. That would comfortably take way more current than any 1000W amp will give it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts