Posh ethernet cable?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

Cidershed:Sorry but what's the difference between asking about ethernet cables and any other cable? By the way, has anyone slating the question actually tried any of what they are scoffing at? I suspect not lol.Someone else, please. I'm off to get wildly drunk.

And I used to think there was hope for humanity
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Tarquinh, answer the question. What's the difference between asking questions about ethernet cable and any other audio cable? Have you actually EXPERIENCED different ethernet cables in an audio context?

For your information I'm not claiming to be 'right', I'm simply asking if anyone has experience of ethernet cables. I'm not saying there are differences, just interested in people's opinions, so no need to be so unpleasant and personal.

A

Anonymous

Cidershed:Sorry but what's the difference between asking about ethernet cables and any other cable? By the way, has anyone slating the question actually tried any of what they are scoffing at? I suspect not lol.

you must be just stirring ! enjoy your music stop worrying about ethernet cables

A

Anonymous

I ain't worrying dave, any more than anyone who is intereted in something is.

The silence is deafening Mr T

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Although I agree with the general consensus that ethernet cable construction shouldn't make any difference (especially with the short lengths used in AV applications), the fact that the CAT5 standard defines a length limit of 100 metres indicates that signal degredation does occur. In computer networks, it is TCP (and/or other protocols) that ensure data loss does not occur, not the physical medium.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I have to agree with TarquinH (Eek!)

Take Linn Records or B&W music download sites that offer 96khz 24bit 'studio master' quality downloads.

When you download them, the files are split into packets that traverse thousands of miles of internet infrastructure across many different types of copper and optical cables and a host of different switches and routers belonging to many different telecom 'backbone' providers. The packets (even in the same download) may travel different routes to get to you depending on the OSPF weightings/costs and a lot of other factors besides.

Every bit of cable they traverse is built to an industry standard that does NOT take any heed of audiophile 'boutique' requirements.

And yet, you still get a studio master quality file that can challenge any SACD for quality.

Tell us how the last few meters of network cable in your living room will make the slightest bit of difference?

A

Anonymous

Its the old argument about power cords though isn't it, and I know from my own experience they can make a significant difference to the sound.

So does your view also relate to interconnects, speaker cable and power cords, cos they follow the same reasoning?

nads

Tarquinh:nads:
Very politely put.

emotion-2.gif

Yeah, sorry, it's my job (ethernet networks) and I do get exasperated at times.

and

Cidershed:
I'm currently running one from my laptop into an airport express and
wish to ramp up the sound quality. if you want to play with cables look at the ones from the airport to the stereo.

have fun.

When I bought my Sonos S5, the ZoneBridge was out of stock initially, so I had to make do with a long ethernet cable. When the S5 first arrived, I placed it near the wireless router & connected it with a 1m ethernet cable worth £20 to set the Sonos system up and listen to music. Meanwhile, I ordered a 10m cable from ebay for £2.89 delivered.

I then connected my Sonos S5 to the router via the cheapie 10m cable (to extend it to my room). I could not appreciate any difference in sound quality.

A

Anonymous

Thanks bigboss, always good to have real experience shared. An island of truth in an ocean of abstract ideas and opinions.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Cidershed:So does your view also relate to interconnects, speaker cable and power cords, cos they follow the same reasoning?

My signature shows my system including cables.

Naim speaker cable and connectors, Naim interconnects that came in the box and Naim power cables that were supplied too (all recommended by Naim obviously).

I have 5m of Belkin ethernet cable that cost £9.99 and an optical/Toslink connection to my DAC (no idea who make it).

Life is way too short to worry, fret and faff about cables. The mathematical permuations of mains/speaker/data/interconnect cables I could explore would take many lifetimes (just for the affordable stuff). I leave that quest to people who enjoy it.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
The same rational can be put for power cords if there is no conditioning. Interconnects and speaker cable are isolated and only interact directly with the components.

A

Anonymous

Six and a half thousand posts suggests life ain't too short for a bit of hi fi discussion chebby..

idc

Jitter is a possible reason for differences in digital cables, but there is no proven correlation between jitter and audibility nor jitter and sound quality.

Cables marketed as audiophile are often able to attract a premium price as some audiophiles are prepared to pay the money. Cables marketed as pro or professional are for studio applications or those in the business, such as tarquinh and they are not able to price themselves as highly as the pros will not pay that sort of money.But the pros still demand performance and high standards of build.

I would suggest that all audiophiles become pros, no matter what the cable is for.

T

the record spot

Cidershed:
Tarquinh, answer the question. What's the difference between asking questions about ethernet cable and any other audio cable? Have you actually EXPERIENCED different ethernet cables in an audio context?

For your information I'm not claiming to be 'right', I'm simply asking if anyone has experience of ethernet cables. I'm not saying there are differences, just interested in people's opinions, so no need to be so unpleasant and personal.

http://www.verber.com/mark/ce/cables.html

To answer your question about network cables, yes I've tried two, neither made any impact whatsoever on the sound. I use them for connecting iTunes on my laptop to my Airport Express, and thereon to the stereo.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
If you want posh ethernet cable, go for fibre. This is an optical cable, is superfast, is more resilient to interference, longer runs are possible and it is much more secure than CAT5 or 6. Oh, and it's expensive (so must be high end?).

You'll need optical to copper adaptors at either end of the cable to convert back to standard ethernet.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Cidershed:I'm currently running one from my laptop into an airport express and wish to ramp up the sound quality.

How does the playback sound through your CA system?

How does it compare to the laptop and AE?

I use a AE not out of choice out of necessity because thats the only wireless component i've tried that has worked (Well ive only tried two). Unfortunately the sound from it is flat and uninspiring IMO and can be bettered.

davemartin01

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Cidershed:
Its the old argument about power cords though isn't it, and I know from my own experience they can make a significant difference to the sound.

So does your view also relate to interconnects, speaker cable and power cords, cos they follow the same reasoning?

But this isn't a powercord or interconnect argument, the signal down an ethernet is different and buying an expensive one won't make any difference. It has a digital 1 and 0 sent down it much like a wireless signal sends the same 1 and 0. Next you'll be asking how to improve the 1 and 0's on a wireless signal! Clean air?

A

Anonymous

Wow, you ask a question!

First off, shooter fair comment about power cords etc. I've been really impressed with the AE sound quality through my CA kit. I originally ran my desktop to it from my back room (maybe 5 metres or so) and it worked well, though dropouts did occur and lasted a few mins (impossible to listen to). Through optical it sounded crisp, clear and punchy though perhaps a little too much energy(could be the CA kit tho) into the back of my 740C.

I also had problems feeding spotify through airfoil so decided to go for the laptop option. Hardwire it into the amp, no more dropouts. I've got no optical out on the laptop and the usb connection through the Dacmagic is a little disappointing so I thought laptop ethernet>AE optical>DAC>amp. It works a treat, sounds good and streams solidly. Job done. Just thought the ethernet cable I'm using free from TalkTalk might be improved upon as cable changes I've made elasewhere in the chain have definately made a difference. Despite a shaky start, there's been some helpful suggestions and I'm grateful for the advice. Think I'll stick with the cheap cable, sounds good. But not quite as good as the wi fi connection from my desktop, which is why I asked.

Just my opinion of course :)

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

AlmaataKZ:
AKDL1_Large_rdax_750x559%201.jpg

Though of course while that cable may have the same RJ-45 plugs on either end as a standard Ethernet cable, it's not designed to conform to the Ethernet standard, nor indeed do its conductor pairs fulfill the same functions. Instead, it was designed purely as a digital audio cable, for use in Denon's proprietary Denon Link system.

ah! I did not realise that!
emotion-3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS