Question Switching from mini Toslink to coaxial

Norega

Mar 30, 2023
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm currently using an optical cable to send music from my old Macbook Pro to my Quad Vena, which amplifies two custom-made speakers. Most of my music library is CD-quality FLACs but last week I signed up for a hi-res streaming service which means I now have access to hi-res files (24-bit/192kHz).

I read somewhere that optical cables are capped at 96 kHz while coax allows up to 192 kHz. I know not everyone agrees but I want to see for myself whether I can hear the difference. For my little experiment to succeed, I need to replace my mini Toslink cable with a coaxial equivalent, but that's easier said than done. Most coaxial cables have RCA connectors on either end, whereas I need a 3.5mm jack to plug into my laptop. These cables tend to be upwards of £100 https://www.futureshop.co.uk/digita...axial-audio?product_types=667&termination=390 and many are mono. I have also found some for less than £10 on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155125421331?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28&var=455305436355

What explains the difference? Is the additional outlay worth it?

Also, does the fact that my Macbook Pro has a digital output mean that it can handle both Toslink and coaxial? (I think both use S/PDIF?)

As you can probably tell, I'm not very knowledgeable and appreciate any help I can get.

Vincent Kars

I need a 3.5mm jack to plug into my laptop.
You don't.
The 3.5 mm Headphone (analog out) of older Mac's double as a (mini) Toslink (Digital) out.
Only the Toslink part is digital to state the obvious.

Official Toslink as capped at 96 kHz.
You might try the USB input of the Vena as it accepts USB:44.1kHz---384kHz(PCM)/DSD64, DSD128, DSD256

Reactions: Al ears

Norega

Mar 30, 2023
Visit site
Thanks, Vincent --
I just meant that the mini Toslink fits into a 3.5mm port. Do you think this cable can substitute for the mini Toslink? Will the Macbook's digital out recognise it? When I plug in the optical cable, the Quad's DAC takes over automatically.

I will have a listen to the USB, thanks for the suggestion.

nads

Thanks, Vincent --
I just meant that the mini Toslink fits into a 3.5mm port. Do you think this cable can substitute for the mini Toslink? Will the Macbook's digital out recognise it? When I plug in the optical cable, the Quad's DAC takes over automatically.

I will have a listen to the USB, thanks for the suggestion.
The Mac books out put is optical or analogue That cable is neither.

Reactions: hifi

TRENDING THREADS