Posh ethernet cable?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.

idc

hammill:idc:

Jitter is a possible reason for differences in digital cables, but there is no proven correlation between jitter and audibility nor jitter and sound quality.

Cables marketed as audiophile are often able to attract a premium price as some audiophiles are prepared to pay the money. Cables marketed as pro or professional are for studio applications or those in the business, such as tarquinh and they are not able to price themselves as highly as the pros will not pay that sort of money.But the pros still demand performance and high standards of build.

I would suggest that all audiophiles become pros, no matter what the cable is for.

Jitter MAY have some effect on HDMI cables. It cannot have any effect on packet based protocols running on ethernet.

Having now read the_lhc's post on how ethernet differs in that error correction is part of what is sent, I see that now
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
Tarquinh:Some great reviews about the Denon Ethernet cable on Amazon.com - 381 of them, to be exact.

Most of which aren't reviews, but just people jumping on an internet bandwagon to show they're in on the joke. After all, how many of them even bought the cable, let alone used it as intended - ie not as a computer network cable - ?

Yes, certainly, but I thought the couple I read quite amusing - as I did the price for the refurbished one.

I wonder how many Denon actually sold?

A

Anonymous

Thanks everyone for an entertaining thread, amongst all the ribbing (I think it was anyway) I've actually picked up a few things, not least that ethernet cable is ethernet cable regardless of the brand and its cost. I certainly will have a good think before i post a question just in case it sounds really thick!!
emotion-5.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
rubber_duck:Thanks everyone for an entertaining thread, amongst all the ribbing (I think it was anyway) I've actually picked up a few things, not least that ethernet cable is ethernet cable regardless of the brand and its cost. I certainly will have a good think before i post a question just in case it sounds really thick!!
emotion-5.gif

Nobody minds people asking "stupid" questions, after all "they're only easy if you know the answer", in this case it's simply the flat out refusal of the asker to accept the knowledge and experience of those giving the answer that has caused ructions.

Oh btw, ethernet cables aren't ribbed, you're thinking of something else entirely...

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:.

Oh btw, ethernet cables aren't ribbed, you're thinking of something else entirely...

Ooooops!! That's what happens when I try to multi-task
emotion-2.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Tarquinh:I wonder how many Denon actually sold?

Not many, I would think, given that relatively few Denon components use the Denon Link connections for which this cable was expressly designed.

A

Anonymous

I knew you lot would string me up if I asked a cable question!

Anyway, no harm done, its been a feisty but interesting discussion, many thanks for everyone's input. Suffice to say I will be sticking with my no nonsense free ethernet cable (yes I do listen) but its just good to know everyone's view on the subject. Thanks WHF, good job!!!

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Ethernet cables are defined by their standard eg CAT 5, CAT 6, etc. The increasingly posh cables tend to be faster (higher throughput), have a higher signal to noise ratio (fewer packets dropped) and lower crosstalk between the insulated twisted pairs making up the cable. They tend to be thicker, with more insulation.

Within a standard there are differences. Cables using stranded wire tends to be more flexible (so less likely to break) and is often used as patch cable whereas solid wire tends to be be used for fixed runs. The solid stuff is cheaper.

Also, cheap ethernet cable from a dubious source may claim to meet a standard but doesn't due to skimping on the composition of the wire itself (aluminium/copper alloy rather than pure copper), thinner wire, etc.

My recommendation would be to go with a name you can trust rather than a cheapy off ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS