New cable: personal justification points

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

podknocker

Maybe when there's a change in your system, either moving and/or cleaning, or just swapping things around, you expect to hear a difference and it's a bit like the placebo effect.

The mind can fool you into believing many things, including changes in sound quality.

I think shadders, who's not been online for a while, called it 'expectation bias'.

If people feel they are hearing an improvement, that's great, but I think these changes need more scrutiny.

Last edited:

Gray

Hasn't everyone, everywhere in the entire world already said what they think regarding cables? Maybe not, maybe it just feels that way...

;)
If claims / reports of cable benefits from manufacturers, retailers and users ever cease....then so will the cable discussions.
(It might be worth noting which side of the fence usually start the ball rolling with cable discussions - and which side only ever respond).

Then maybe look at the example of the innocent neutral coming on here saying that his cables were more than 10 years old and asking if it was time for a change.
He surely deserves a discussion.

The more the hype, the more the discussion.
Can't see that ever changing.

matthewpianist

It's a while since I've shared any thoughts on cables, but it's quite simple for me at the moment. I'm using QED 79-strand and there's no evidence that it's acting as any kind of bottleneck in my set-up. I have more expensive cables in a big storage box, but I don't feel any need to fish them out.

As for interconnects I'm using the hardwired ones from the turntable to phono stage, and some old Chord Co. Crimsons to the amp.

Dom

well i think the bass has gotten better after 14 days, burn in period or getting used to it period
I fully respect your opinion gas, all that I will say is my Hifi sounds different everyday, every hour.

I don't think anyone can claim Hifi sounds can sound better after an extended time. Even if that seems the case, for example, speakers.

Were just specks travelling through the unknown's of space, time and the void, and what ever else is there.

Enjoy your sounds, gasolin. :cool:

Reactions: WayneKerr

AJM1981

I still want to know how you 'burn in' electrons in copper.

I love the free burn in service some sites offer, when you drop £3k on some copper and PVC.

Like they are doing you a favour.

Nuts.
“Burning in” is also only applicable to various devices that really need(ed) to warm up for a while. Maybe class A amps and tubes are part of these (the people using them will know). Then turning on and listening from scratch will be notably worse than after a ‘little’ longer. And adding virtual time prevents that someone switches on a valve amp, listens directly and returns it immediately.

Salesmen and audiophiles nowadays mainly like to keep it up for about anything, since it promises a virtual upgrade bonus after purchasing. When it comes to these groups it can also be a mouth to mouth knowledge. Kind of similar to older generations telling that when you don’t subscribe your energy when entering a home they will cut you off the same day. That used to be something back in the days, doesn’t apply anymore, but is still passed on as “common knowledge”.

I would say that when a speaker cable makes a big difference in bass, there was a connection / polarity issue before. Either by swapping or strands touching common ground.

When reading these things I almost begin to wonder if there were ever people who have replaced a whole system because of listening to polarity problems for longer than a little while.

Last edited:

AJM1981

Received the pair today and just connected it. Sturdy decent stuff.

Before this pair I have used bare wire strands for my receiver and banana plugs for my loudspeakers, so I add a big plus in plug-and-play “fun”. No more flashlight needed to see if the same cable has a red line or not and if things are connected well.

Audio wise off course exactly the same.

approved.

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
1.jpg

Burning in baby

kusalmed

Nov 3, 2023
Visit site
I heard someone of an audio company (with a pair of the most expensive loudspeakers in the room) saying he also didn’t really believe in it but a type of cable measured a 0.0xx % better, so they went with it. (No one would probably ever notice if someone would have swapped it with a diy store cable)

AJM1981

I heard someone of an audio company (with a pair of the most expensive loudspeakers in the room) saying he also didn’t really believe in it but a type of cable measured a 0.0xx % better, so they went with it. (No one would probably ever notice if someone would have swapped it with a diy store cable)
That is exactly my quote. Any comments missing on it?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts