Posh ethernet cable?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

In addition to products of the year, can we have a "comedy forum thread" of the year award. This one gets my first vote.

the record spot:Cidershed:

Anyone else like to make a positive contribution who may have used ethernet in an audio context like mine? CIDER!

I gave you mine yesterday, used in an "audio" context. No difference, but that's not the purpose of the cable. Sorry it's not an answer you want to hear, but that's pretty much where it's at.

So did I. I can't believe this thread has lasted 5 pages & is still going on!!!

Cidershed, why don't you buy a posh ethernet cable yourself & post us your findings? Your experience will definitely help us.

As pointed by chebby, which "posh cables" are your talking about?

A

Anonymous

Hello Cidershed,

Ethernet has been around for decades and was probably a theory at start, but is now a very mature technology used in pretty much every network. Cabling has been and can be tried and tested using scientific tools like software or professional cable testers. Problems with interference can occur, that's why you need to conform to specific standards when deploying cabling in large buildings etc.There are people who do certified cabling in buildings in order to avoid transmission problems.

Now for 1 or 2 metre cables and in a home environment, in my experience it would be very hard to introduce that much interference to cripple down a 100Mbps ethernet connection to less than say 2-3Mbps bandwidth required to transfer a digital audio file. You would notice dropouts and not loss in quality in my opinion too. Even UTP (unshielded twisted pair) standard cables have some sort of sealing, but you could also try some STP (shielded twisted pair). I doubt it very much though that you have that much interference and this is why most people don't mention that to you.

Please bear in mind that I could be providing some theory here but it is based on quite a few years of personal experience.

Regards,

Harris

davemartin01

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Hang on!!! I can prove it all..... the fact I can't find a Russ Andrews Ethernet cable should scream that even they can't pull that blanket over the audiophools eyes and ears on this subject!

Stereolad:In addition to products of the year, can we have a "comedy forum thread" of the year award. This one gets my first vote.

emotion-21.gif

But it has to compete with this thread for 'all time honours'!!
emotion-2.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Until someone can provide evidence of 'posh', or audiophile, or 'bespoke', or 'hifi grade' ethernet cable, that is actually manufactured and for sale out there somewhere, then this whole thread is a red herring.

A

Anonymous

"Did you try bi-wiring with the different strands?"

Actually no but I did try using CAT6 for the tweeters to get that little extra definition but then I was very very drunk

A

Anonymous

chebby:
Until someone can provide evidence of 'posh', or audiophile, or 'bespoke', or 'hifi grade' ethernet cable, that is actually manufactured and for sale out there somewhere, then this whole thread is a red herring.

I was just thinking that, as far as I can see there is no such thing anyway.

T

the record spot

Posh - there'll be a bling one out there - a gold line running down one side of it to make sure you only plug it in the right way (anyone who's ever seen a network cable will get the joke here...).

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
the record spot:Posh - there'll be a bling one out there - a gold line running down one side of it to make sure you only plug it in the right way (anyone who's ever seen a network cable will get the joke here...).

Well this is a bit OTT.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
the record spot:Posh - there'll be a bling one out there - a gold line running down one side of it to make sure you only plug it in the right way (anyone who's ever seen a network cable will get the joke here...).

I found this Hot Pink Ka-Bling (geddit!) ethernet cable - complete with crystals - on sale in the US....

0072458065979_500X500.jpg

A

Anonymous

Ravey Gravey Davy:

Well this is a bit OTT.

Good. I'm looking forward to the review.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
bigboss:

Stereolad:In addition to products of the year, can we have a "comedy forum thread" of the year award. This one gets my first vote.

emotion-21.gif

But it has to compete with this thread for 'all time honours'!!
emotion-2.gif

I have not seen this one before! I could not beleive my eyes reading it! OMG!
emotion-2.gif

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Clare Newsome:

I found this Hot Pink Ka-Bling (geddit!) ethernet cable - complete with crystals - on sale in the US....

0072458065979_500X500.jpg

Was it a Linn Ka-Bling? A bit of a departure from their usual colour sKeem?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
chebby:Please can someone provide links to examples of 'posh'or audiophile ethernet cable for sale out there?

No but you can go to PC World and pay stupid amounts of money for perfectly ordinary Belkin cables.

A

Anonymous

No, don't spoil the enjoyment Andrew.
I've learnt a lot about human beings.

Long may this thread and the tolerance of the moderators continue.

Best
Serenity

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
aliEnRIK:You gonna lock this thread now Andrew?

If it was going to be locked, we'd say so - but I see no reason at this stage.

And even if it were eventually locked, for whatever reason, it could be enjoyed for evermore by anyone searching for the same subject matter - either via Google or our very own search function. Locked threads don't get deleted....

nads

some one mentioned earlier that Mr Andrews does not do Ethernet cables. But he does do USB cables. I bet there will be an Ethernet cable coming out soon.

but i find it hard to stomach the comments in the review section.

A

Anonymous

Some great reviews about the Denon Ethernet cable on Amazon.com - 381 of them, to be exact.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
aliEnRIK:You gonna lock this thread now Andrew?

Why? I don't see anyone repeatedly promoting a particular brand. I do, however, see someone repeatedly questioning moderation, which carries an altogether different sanction.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Tarquinh:Some great reviews about the Denon Ethernet cable on Amazon.com - 381 of them, to be exact.

Most of which aren't reviews, but just people jumping on an internet bandwagon to show they're in on the joke. After all, how many of them even bought the cable, let alone used it as intended - ie not as a computer network cable - ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS