Oppo 93 Magazine review

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
michael hoy said:
WHFI team,

Not wanting to give too much away on this review, in light of some of the comments will you be reviewing the 95 anytime soon.

I hope so - especially as Oppo and its resellers have stressed how much better it is when it comes to audio.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Apologies for revealing more than others, but can the WHF reviewers say which players they considered to be better than the Oppo for SQ? I assume from the review the Cambridge Audio 650BD, but the plural is used, so I'm guessing at least one other? Thanks.

Also, any chance of a group test between this and the Yamaha and Denon universal players?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
It wasn't that shocking (I've seen a similar review elsewhere that challenges some of the hyperbole surrounding Oppo Blu-ray players).

The main problem with the Cambridge Audio player, which presumably trumps the Oppo, is that they're short in supply now, while the replacement "3D-ready" model is more expensive.

The other problem is that I'm yet to see a modded Cambridge Audio player that can play multi region Blu-ray. I was drooling over some of the Criterion Blu-ray titles on Amazon last night, knowing that there's no point buying them since they're Region A locked.
smiley-frown.gif

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
The other problem is that I'm yet to see a modded Cambridge Audio player that can play multi region Blu-ray. I was drooling over some of the Criterion Blu-ray titles on Amazon last night, knowing that there's no point buying them since they're Region A locked.
smiley-frown.gif

Exactly the discs I'm concerned about being able to play. I've heard good things re the Yamaha but it too can't be modded. Does anyone know if the Denon can be?

I would like to hear which players WHF considers better for audio, as the Oppo is well regarded in that area on t'other forum.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the link, Andrew.

Now I need the money for the player and chipset, not to mention the courage to invalidate the warranty! It's very tempting, though...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
The main problem with the Cambridge Audio player, which presumably trumps the Oppo, is that they're short in supply now, while the replacement "3D-ready" model is more expensive.

That's because the 751 is NOT a replacement for the 650.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
strapped for cash said:

Is there no safe haven? Moving to another thread made no difference.

Surely you must acknowledge that I have some capacity for rational thought? If every word I type and every opinion I espouse is so deeply problematic and objectionable, it's a minor miracle I can function in society.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
The_Lhc said:
strapped for cash said:

Is there no safe haven? Moving to another thread made no difference.

Surely you must acknowledge that I have some capacity for rational thought? If every word I type and every opinion I espouse is so deeply problematic and objectionable, it's a minor miracle I can function in society.

I think you're ascribing too personal a motive to my comment. I can't remember who I've spoken to from one thread to the next, in fact I didn't even notice it was you who'd made that comment. I was simply pointing out the fact that 751 doesn't replace the 650, it sits above the 650 (and its eventual replacement) in the range, hence the extra cost. It's just a factual correction, with no comment or judgement beyond that, don't take it personally.

There's nothing personal about the other thread for that matter, I reply to comments, not people. I don't know anybody here well enough to take a personal dislike, despite what people might think.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Please desist from the squabbling, gentlemen; don't want to lock/prune this thread. Move on without comment, please...

So, back on topic - can't wait to do a group test of higher-end, universal players. All we need now is the damn players! (And I also speak as someone keen to upgrade this year....)

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
michael hoy said:
Suprised me when I read it, never seen or heard the 93, but the 95 sounded good to me.

1 - its just a review by one magazine, a magazine that does tend to lean towards the 'bright and hard' sound. Sound is entirely subjective

2 - it did get 4 stars

3 - Looking elswhere paints a different picture. Im all for WHF reviews, ive been buying it since around the 1990s. But trusting one magazine 'entirely' isnt in my nature (I wouldnt have my P1000 if I had (3 stars), and its a belter once fully run in)

4 - it plays nearly everything you care to throw at it (MP3s being the anomaly which will hopefully be sorted in time)

5 - we dont know if the unit was fully 'run in'

6 - its upscaling capabilities are 2nd to none

7 - its one of the few players to pass all known dvd and bluray tests (jaggies, correct cadence etc etc)

8 - it has 2 x HDMIs so you can bypass a none 3D amp

9 - itll play files direct off an NTFS hard drive

10 - absolutely no one who bought this player at full price would be unhappy with it (more theyd be psychologically unhappy with it because it didnt get 5 stars if a WHF reader)

11 - Ill stop there but could easily go on if I wanted to :p

D

Deleted member 2457

aliEnRIK said:
michael hoy said:
Suprised me when I read it, never seen or heard the 93, but the 95 sounded good to me.

1 - its just a review by one magazine, a magazine that does tend to lean towards the 'bright and hard' sound. Sound is entirely subjective

2 - it did get 4 stars

3 - Looking elswhere paints a different picture. Im all for WHF reviews, ive been buying it since around the 1990s. But trusting one magazine 'entirely' isnt in my nature (I wouldnt have my P1000 if I had (3 stars), and its a belter once fully run in)

4 - it plays nearly everything you care to throw at it (MP3s being the anomaly which will hopefully be sorted in time)

5 - we dont know if the unit was fully 'run in'

6 - its upscaling capabilities are 2nd to none

7 - its one of the few players to pass all known dvd and bluray tests (jaggies, correct cadence etc etc)

8 - it has 2 x HDMIs so you can bypass a none 3D amp

9 - itll play files direct off an NTFS hard drive

10 - absolutely no one who bought this player at full price would be unhappy with it (more theyd be psychologically unhappy with it because it didnt get 5 stars if a WHF reader)

11 - Ill stop there but could easily go on if I wanted to :p

Yeah, i am not too sure they do tend to lean towards the bright and hard sound mate, i would say they are pretty even over the years. I do understand the no surprise comment though, purely because the one with all the fuss about got 4 stars - that is what i thought you meant - which in a sense would not be a complete surprise if this one got something similar.

I mean if it got 1 star then it would be a complete suprise - going from 4 down to 1 in a short period - now that would be a surprise. Smile

Just my thoughts here guys. Wink

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
gel said:
I do understand the no surprise comment though, purely because the one with all the fuss about got 4 stars - that is what i thought you meant - which in a sense would not be a complete surprise if this one got something similar.

It really wasnt a surprise gel :)

But again, even if the audio capabilities of the blu-ray player may not be amongst the best, you can always bitstream audio to your receiver. If you're happy with your receiver's audio decoding capabilities, then it doesn't matter how the blu-ray player decodes audio.

D

Deleted member 2457

aliEnRIK said:
gel said:
I do understand the no surprise comment though, purely because the one with all the fuss about got 4 stars - that is what i thought you meant - which in a sense would not be a complete surprise if this one got something similar.

It really wasnt a surprise gel :)

Yeah i was not disagreeing or agreeing with anyone on the surprise thing mate. Wink . I was just giving my view on the comments - that is all. Big Smile

Cheers mate

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
We'll be getting the Oppo's in some time soon, so it'll be interesting to see how they perform here. I'll be taking one home and comparing it my Sony 5000ES (for Region B) and Panny BDP60 (Region A). I'm sure Bluray playback will be fine, but it'll be interesting to see how they compare on DVD upscaling, which is my biggest bug-bear with Bluray players.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
We'll be getting the Oppo's in some time soon, so it'll be interesting to see how they perform here. I'll be taking one home and comparing it my Sony 5000ES (for Region B) and Panny BDP60 (Region A). I'm sure Bluray playback will be fine, but it'll be interesting to see how they compare on DVD upscaling, which is my biggest bug-bear with Bluray players.

Really? I was under the impression blu-ray players were very good at upscaling DVD, typically.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I started with a Sony 350, which didn't look anywhere near as good as my Pioneer DV737, then moved on to the Panny BD60. I know this is similar to the Sony quality-wise, but this looked naff as well. The reason I went for the 5000ES was to get something better than what I had for DVD playback, and luckily, I was right. Streets ahead of budget players in this respect.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts