Oppo 93 Magazine review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
I have the oppo 95

The very first thing I tried was a dvd on a series id been watching and know well

It looked awful. So blurry I was struggling to make some writing out.

Given a long enough 'run in' time it looks worlds better. The scaler in the 93 and 95 really doesnt get much better (theyre exceptional at upscaling very small pixel files too). Way better than my S370 and PS3 - the extra detail just shines through.

Interesting enough, the Cambridge that WHF have put over the 93 for sound is actually a slightly upgraded oppo 80!

The 5000ES has filters in that physically change the image to make it look sharper that it really is. If thats your bag then go for it, id rather see what im supposed to see.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
aliEnRIK said:
Interesting enough, the Cambridge that WHF have put over the 93 for sound is actually a slightly upgraded oppo 80!

Would be interesting if it wasn't completely wrong, as the manufacturer has pointed out on this forum in the past.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
aliEnRIK said:

Would be interesting if it wasn't completely wrong, as the manufacturer has pointed out on this forum in the past.

The pictures are out there Andrew. Even someone not into electronics would clearly see the units are remarkably similar inside. Though (As ive already said) some parts have been changed. So im sorry, but im definitely not 'completely wrong', and id post the links if I could (Which you know I cant)

I dont see the problem anyways, so what if its an oppo 80 with slight changes?

ooo - can you please post a link to where the manufacturer has said otherwise please? Im intrigued as to what he actually said.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
aliEnRIK said:
The 5000ES has filters in that physically change the image to make it look sharper that it really is. If thats your bag then go for it, id rather see what im supposed to see.

I'm not using any of the extra 'clean up' features, just straight DVD playback. I don't see the point in sharpening something to reveal it's flaws even more blatantly! :)

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
aliEnRIK said:

I'm not using any of the extra 'clean up' features, just straight DVD playback. I don't see the point in sharpening something to reveal it's flaws even more blatantly! :)

I read that it goes through actual hardware filters (not software related, its actually hardwired), so its filtered regardless of settings

jarra

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
How come you have the Oppo 95......it is not out yet and wont be till end of May. As an aside I took delivery last night of the Oppo 93.

First thing I noticed, it is quite heavy for a BD player. This to me means quality. Just connected it up with the basic settings and WOW.

Sharper picture,better colours more defined. But it is the sound quality that amazes me. Will spend some time over the weekend with the advanced settings.

I tested it out initially and rather quickly using Avatar BD.

daveloc

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
Now I've actually got the magazine at retail and been able to read this review, the audio limits of the player mean the question I asked earlier still arises.

These days, economies of scale apply even to digital signal conversion. Can these mid-range-company universal players be beaten by two dedicated players from the majors — especially if you don't need DVD-Audio (and who does?)

In the same £4-500 range as the Oppo 93 or the CA 650BD, you can now get:

£230 Panny BDT310 for BD/DVD

£180 Sony SCD-XE800 for (SA)CD

or even

£170 Sony BDP-480 BD/DVD/SACD

£300 Arcam rDAC for enhanced CD/other PCM stereo playback

Yes, there's a bit more cable and an extra remote (although the majors' kit is always handled by universals these days, another plus) but what's the audio/video bang for buck like on these combinations relative to the all-in-ones?

Any thoughts at WHF Towers?

D

Deleted member 2457

Hi Rik

Just read another good review of the Oppo in the other mag - check it out. Thumbs up. I was possibly looking at getting the new Pioneer BDP-LX55 for myself, have you seen the spec and what do you make of it? I'm interested in the picture, sound and build mainly, possibly other things?

Cheers. Thumbs up.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
gel said:
Hi Rik

Just read another good review of the Oppo in the other mag - check it out. Thumbs up. I was possibly looking at getting the new Pioneer BDP-LX55 for myself, have you seen the spec and what do you make of it? I'm interested in the picture, sound and build mainly, possibly other things?

Cheers. Thumbs up.

I cant really comment gel. Having recently read about the opps v a sony s570, the s570 wasnt displaying ANY colours correctly. The oppos were perfect. Now my personal opinion is I want my player to output everything exactly as it should. I cant guarantee at this moment if the pioneer does that or not.

I CAN say that as far as im aware, the oppo outputs bluray detail exactly as it should, so in theory you cant get a more accurate picture than that. It also has probably the best quality scaler currently available, so I seriously doubt the pioneer would have the edge on picture.

As I understand it, the oppo also has very low jitter via HDMI (many products have awful jitter values), so if your amps decoding, I doubt youd do better than the oppo

D

Deleted member 2457

aliEnRIK said:
gel said:
Hi Rik

Cheers. Thumbs up.

I cant really comment gel. Having recently read about the opps v a sony s570, the s570 wasnt displaying ANY colours correctly. The oppos were perfect. Now my personal opinion is I want my player to output everything exactly as it should. I cant guarantee at this moment if the pioneer does that or not.

I CAN say that as far as im aware, the oppo outputs bluray detail exactly as it should, so in theory you cant get a more accurate picture than that. It also has probably the best quality scaler currently available, so I seriously doubt the pioneer would have the edge on picture.

As I understand it, the oppo also has very low jitter via HDMI (many products have awful jitter values), so if your amps decoding, I doubt youd do better than the oppo

Okay cool - cheers. I think i am going to have to do a bit more research on this Pioneer.

Thanks mate.

D

Deleted member 2457

maxflinn said:
that's a nice tv you've got in your sig gel ;)

Smile and a wink.

I was just thinking that perhaps i might want this Pioneer blu-ray player for it mate - a bit more money than i would like to spend to be honest though. What do you make of the spec mate?

Cheers.

A

Anonymous

gel said:
maxflinn said:

Smile and a wink.

I was just thinking that perhaps i might want this Pioneer blu-ray player for it mate - a bit more money than i would like to spend to be honest though. What do you make of the spec mate?

Cheers.
well i'm not one that believes blu-ray players differ in terms of pure 1080p playback gel, but if i had a kuro, and some spare cash, i'd probably opt for an oppo bd83. you should get one for a decent price now that the newer 3d model is here, it's generally recognised as the best bdp (perhaps not now the new oppo is here though)..

i don't know anything about the pioneer gel, i guess it might be nice pairing it with your pio tv, how much is it?

D

Deleted member 2457

maxflinn said:
gel said:
maxflinn said:

Smile and a wink.

Cheers.
well i'm not one that believes blu-ray players differ in terms of pure 1080p playback gel, but if i had a kuro, and some spare cash, i'd probably opt for an oppo bd83. you should get one for a decent price now that the newer 3d model is here, it's generally recognised as the best bdp (perhaps not now the new oppo is here though)..

i don't know anything about the pioneer gel, i guess it might be nice pairing it with your pio tv, how much is it?

£350 is a suggested retail price - the Pioneer has the a QDEO video processor - not sure whether it is the same as the Oppo one or not? The Pioneer has 32-bit DAC, so the sound should be improved. When i look at this and the Oppo they look pretty similar - in terms of spec to me.

Yeah i was thinking it would make a nice pairing too.

Cheers mate.

Davo2008

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
I've read that the QDEO isn't as good as the ABT2010, but off course the new Oppo comes with a ton more features. And by "not as good", I'm in no way suggesting it's not good!

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
The new Cambridge azur 751BD is using QDEO.

I'm also lead to believe (read somewhere) that pioneer don't just rely on the QDEO chip for picture processing but rather it's own "Pure Cinema" creation for post picture processing.

D

Deleted member 2457

Interesting - cheers guys. Thumbs up. What do you make of the spec on the sound for the new Pioneer against the Oppo and the Cambridge one (new and old).

Many thanks.

def lugs

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I have ran a Cambridge 650BD alongside the Oppo 93 for a week. feeding into a Denon 2310, MA Radius HD surround system. TV - Panny 42-GT20.

CD playback - I prefer the better stereo image and timing from the Oppo over the 650 when using both players outputting over analogue. The cambridge unit manages to pull up a touch more detail in the midrange, but the soundstage is more two dimensional, and did not engage me as much.

Using both players as transports feeding into a Dacmagic, upped the perfromance of both players and I can not distinguish a difference as to which player was in use.

My original plan to get myself (read as "my wife's plan") a one box solution. That would do music, movies and 3D. I had made up my mind to purchase the 751BD. An audtion left me pondering if it was the right solution. The picture quality was superb - but so is the Oppo. CD sound also I could not find fault with but neither can I from the 650BD or 93 feeding into a DAC.

Picture quality the Oppo easily has the edge over the 650. Both players do a great job for movie sound tracks. The 3D picture from the oppo is much more solid than our BDT300 or PS3, and fast movement stays in 3D effect

Looking at the cost of upgrade to performance gained. I decided to sell the Cambridge and my BDT300 and buy the Oppo93. This will run through my Dacmagic for music.

Maybe I have bolted too quickly and could have waited for 651BD, but listening to Ray Davies - See my Friends as I write tells me that I am happy with my decision.

If you are considering any of these players you need to try before you buy, I was suprised with waht I have ended up taking home.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
def lugs said:
I have ran a Cambridge 650BD alongside the Oppo 93 for a week. feeding into a Denon 2310, MA Radius HD surround system. TV - Panny 42-GT20.

CD playback - I prefer the better stereo image and timing from the Oppo over the 650 when using both players outputting over analogue. The cambridge unit manages to pull up a touch more detail in the midrange, but the soundstage is more two dimensional, and did not engage me as much.

Using both players as transports feeding into a Dacmagic, upped the perfromance of both players and I can not distinguish a difference as to which player was in use.

My original plan to get myself (read as "my wife's plan") a one box solution. That would do music, movies and 3D. I had made up my mind to purchase the 751BD. An audtion left me pondering if it was the right solution. The picture quality was superb - but so is the Oppo. CD sound also I could not find fault with but neither can I from the 650BD or 93 feeding into a DAC.

Picture quality the Oppo easily has the edge over the 650. Both players do a great job for movie sound tracks. The 3D picture from the oppo is much more solid than our BDT300 or PS3, and fast movement stays in 3D effect

Looking at the cost of upgrade to performance gained. I decided to sell the Cambridge and my BDT300 and buy the Oppo93. This will run through my Dacmagic for music.

Maybe I have bolted too quickly and could have waited for 651BD, but listening to Ray Davies - See my Friends as I write tells me that I am happy with my decision.

If you are considering any of these players you need to try before you buy, I was suprised with waht I have ended up taking home.

Nice post

If the 93 is anything like the 95, it needs a LONG run in time for stereo to sound at its best. I suspect that if the 93 was pretty new then you wernt hearing it at its full potential

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts