Oppo 93 Magazine review

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
Interesting - cheers guys. Thumbs up. What do you make of the spec on the sound for the new Pioneer against the Oppo and the Cambridge one (new and old).

Many thanks.

It's a bit hard to make a judgement on this as Pioneers "High Grade Audio Parts" specification for the new LX55 is a bit...... generic.

All i can add at the moment is i've been itching to "upgrade" my 51FD to a "next level player" for about the last 9 months but i am not willing to spend over 1k and it needs to be worth the investment , but to be honest it does such a good job i keep questioning if it is really worth it. As a result of this my hit list keeps evolving and has gone from the Arcam BDP100 to the Oppo 93 then the Oppo 95 which i was just about to pull the trigger on........ then the LX55 appears , so now this has my interest as it appears to represent better value for money and suits my needs , that and i have a 16 year history with Pioneer that i find difficult to contemplate letting go.

So i wait with baited breath for the LX55 to surface.

D

Deleted member 2457

v1c said:
gel said:
Interesting - cheers guys. Thumbs up. What do you make of the spec on the sound for the new Pioneer against the Oppo and the Cambridge one (new and old).

Many thanks.

It's a bit hard to make a judgement on this as Pioneers "High Grade Audio Parts" specification for the new LX55 is a bit...... generic.

All i can add at the moment is i've been itching to "upgrade" my 51FD to a "next level player" for about the last 9 months but i am not willing to spend over 1k and it needs to be worth the investment , but to be honest it does such a good job i keep questioning if it is really worth it. As a result of this my hit list keeps evolving and has gone from the Arcam BDP100 to the Oppo 93 then the Oppo 95 which i was just about to pull the trigger on........ then the LX55 appears , so now this has my interest as it appears to represent better value for money and suits my needs , that and i have a 16 year history with Pioneer that i find difficult to contemplate letting go.

So i wait with baited breath for the LX55 to surface.

Yeah, i know what you mean, i have always been happy with my Pioneer BDP-LX71 and watching it on my Pioneer LX5090 tv, it is fantastic and the sound has always been great - the best i have heard. I keep looking at the spec on this player and think i could either use it with my Sony or my Pioneer and be equally as happy.

With the sound on this new one it states, "32-Bit D/A Converter" looking at other blu-ray players that looks pretty impressive, again though i am not sure just how good in comparison. Anyone on the What Hi Fi team got any views on the spec or opinions that might be of help?

Many thanks.

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Gel it certainly appears that the LX55 is aiming at the Oppo 95 / Cambridge 751 territory but at a lot less £.

It must be obvious to anyone making BD players that no one can charge more than £899 for a high end player any more with the Oppo 95.

With that in mind the LX91 is no longer a viable product no matter how good it is therefore the big question is..... is the LX55 the new 91 ?. Becasue if it is then no one can charge more than £350 for the considered BEST BD Player.

Another point of observation that supports my theory is that there is no longer any reference to the LX91 on JP or US pioneer websites....... i also understand that Pioneer are not exactly a flush company at the moment though so there are still question marks.

But if the LX55 is the new 91 then WOW.

All thoughts expressed are my own an not intended to offend anyone.
smiley-laughing.gif

def lugs

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
v1c,

Though maybe not impossible. I would be astounded and amazed if pioneer could afford to put the quality of components required into a £350 player to outshine a player 3 times the price. But refering to my earlier post nice surprises do occasionally happen. I think it would be more realistic that it will challenge Cambridge 651. Oppo 93. etc.

D

Deleted member 2457

v1c said:
Gel it certainly appears that the LX55 is aiming at the Oppo 95 / Cambridge 751 territory but at a lot less £.

It must be obvious to anyone making BD players that no one can charge more than £899 for a high end player any more with the Oppo 95.

With that in mind the LX91 is no longer a viable product no matter how good it is therefore the big question is..... is the LX55 the new 91 ?. Becasue if it is then no one can charge more than £350 for the considered BEST BD Player.

Another point of observation that supports my theory is that there is no longer any reference to the LX91 on JP or US pioneer websites....... i also understand that Pioneer are not exactly a flush company at the moment though so there are still question marks.

But if the LX55 is the new 91 then WOW.

All thoughts expressed are my own an not intended to offend anyone.
smiley-laughing.gif

Let's hope so, i will definitely be keeping a look out for some more info. Thumbs up.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
This month's WHF says that next month's edition will have a group test of universal players from Cambridge audio, Marantz (which gets a good review this edition), denon, oppo and yamaha. That's one to look forward to :)

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I have a large collection of mp3 thats id like to be able to play on the 93. I thought I'd be able to stream them to the player but no joy. Can I convert them to .flac and keep tagging/album art intact?

Cheers,
Mick

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
micks_address said:
Hi Guys, I have a large collection of mp3 thats id like to be able to play on the 93. I thought I'd be able to stream them to the player but no joy.

It doesn't support mp3 due to licensing issues.

Can I convert them to .flac and keep tagging/album art intact?

You can, although there isn't much point converting to flac, your mp3s will be lossy files, the only thing converting them to flac will achieve will be to make them bigger and take up more space, you won't get back the info in the file that's been lost. You'd be better off converting to another lossy format that the Oppo supports. I've no idea what those formats might be though.

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
yeah thats what im thinking.. if i go to flac will the filesize increase or just stay the same as say the mp3 file? i would have thought the reversion process wouldnt end up with a file of same lossless quality? i mention flac cause i see that is one of the file types the Oppo supports with album art intact..

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
micks_address said:
yeah thats what im thinking.. if i go to flac will the filesize increase or just stay the same as say the mp3 file? i would have thought the reversion process wouldnt end up with a file of same lossless quality?

The filesize will increase, the quality won't. If you want want lossless quality now you will have to re-rip I'm afraid.

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
well i talked to Oppo support who suggest renaming the files to .wma and they will play.. and sure enough they do! i had over 5k mp3 files in numberous folders..

but i was able to do the rename using the dos xcopy command

xcopy c:music*.mp3 c:music_wma*.wma /s

thats gave me a new music_wma folder with all sub folders and files renamed as .wma

means i have another copy of my music floating around but its not bad..

the album art works in most cases.. not sure why it doesnt in some.. also the progress bar/length of track seems to be messed up as they all come in around 1 min length no matter what is playing.. but if anyone is in the same quandry its a solution..

i asked Oppo if mp3 support is on the way and it is but its with the liscensing authority.

Cheers,
Mick

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
hi folks,

quick question re album art on the Oppo i have all my mp3's tagged with album art - some display some dont on the Oppo (when saved as .wma) is there a resulution limitation on the files used for album art?

Cheers,
Mick

johnjay

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I admit ive gotten superb pictures from a BDP-LX52/Sony w5500 46",i sometimes said to myself,esp. when watching the likes of AVATAR.How can some folks say for sure a certain player gives absolutely perfect pictures?Now that would also mean they have the best TV & that TV goes perfectly with the player.I like to be able to say ive spent good money on decent components that supply a great picture.The folks that say this player gives perfect pictures are the same people that complain when a unit picks up a respectable 4 stars.As long as i cant chisel a grin of novelty from my face,fully knowing im happy with my kit,thats good enough for me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts