Apple Music native on streamer/app?

AndrewF

Feb 3, 2023
Visit site
Interesting review of the Eversolo DMP-A6 streamer. I don't need a streamer, but it was very interesting to see that Apple Music is built in, such that you can now play Apple Hi-Res without dealing with the whole Apple Play issue. I would assume that means this functionality will be coming to other streamers soon. Would it have to be a firmware update (from Cambridge Audio in my case), or a software update to the CA app, or does it not really matter? thx.

manicm

Interesting review of the Eversolo DMP-A6 streamer. I don't need a streamer, but it was very interesting to see that Apple Music is built in, such that you can now play Apple Hi-Res without dealing with the whole Apple Play issue. I would assume that means this functionality will be coming to other streamers soon. Would it have to be a firmware update (from Cambridge Audio in my case), or a software update to the CA app, or does it not really matter? thx.

No, integrated Apple Music won't be coming to other players soon. Eversolo runs on Android, so think of it as a phone, but they've also bypassed Androids resolution limitations, so if you choose lossless or high res from Apple Music, that's what you'll get, bit perfect.

To further clarify, even on the Eversolo, you can't choose Apple Music on your phone to connect to it, you either select it directly on the Eversolo (like an app on a phone) or use the Eversolo phone app, which directly mirrors the player's screen, offering the same convenience.

Apple has only granted Sonos the integration so far.

AndrewF

Feb 3, 2023
Visit site
No, integrated Apple Music won't be coming to other players soon. Eversolo runs on Android, so think of it as a phone, but they've also bypassed Androids resolution limitations, so if you choose lossless or high res from Apple Music, that's what you'll get, bit perfect.

Thanks. I suspect it will eventually come. Having experimented with hi-res in a variety of ways, I have largely decided that it isn't "mission critical", for me at least.

To further clarify, even on the Eversolo, you can't choose Apple Music on your phone to connect to it, you either select it directly on the Eversolo (like an app on a phone) or use the Eversolo phone app, which directly mirrors the player's screen, offering the same convenience.

Thanks for the explanation. I wonder why Apple is so coy about this. Having bought up a classical platform - I can’t even recall which, was it IDAGIO? - I can’t understand why they would not want a slice of the cake that Spotify, Tidal and Qobuz offer.

AndrewF

Feb 3, 2023
Visit site
Thanks for the explanation. I wonder why Apple is so coy about this. Having bought up a classical platform - I can’t even recall which, was it IDAGIO? - I can’t understand why they would not want a slice of the cake that Spotify, Tidal and Qobuz offer.
Apple Music Classical is their classical platform.

Apple is odd sometimes- pretty much all of their music is available as hi-res files, but you have to physically stream it (I have used a USBC-A cable from an Ipad to my streamer). Airplay is currently "limited" to 16/44.1 (my understanding is that it is no longer converted to 256 AAC), which honestly is awfully good anyway. They don't seem yet to have allowed the streamer manufacturers to have native Apple Music as part of their firmware/software. I don't know why- just to keep their ecosystem closed, I guess.

Having experimented with using the Ipad physically connected to the streamer vs being able to stream CD quality to multiple devices simultaneously, I have decided that the convenience of Option 2 is worth any theoretical loss of audio quality. I have decent gear, I listen closely, and I don't notice any difference. You might.

(You have a nice system, btw).

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site

Apple is odd sometimes- pretty much all of their music is available as hi-res files, but you have to physically stream it (I have used a USBC-A cable from an Ipad to my streamer). Airplay is currently "limited" to 16/44.1 (my understanding is that it is no longer converted to 256 AAC), which honestly is awfully good anyway. They don't seem yet to have allowed the streamer manufacturers to have native Apple Music as part of their firmware/software. I don't know why- just to keep their ecosystem closed, I guess.

Having experimented with using the Ipad physically connected to the streamer vs being able to stream CD quality to multiple devices simultaneously, I have decided that the convenience of Option 2 is worth any theoretical loss of audio quality. I have decent gear, I listen closely, and I don't notice any difference. You might.

Its still a relatively new venture for apple and even though there a big entity there subscriber count is still relatively low the 10s of millions rather than Spotify 100's of millions. It's chicken and the egg I guess until they they get a larger uptake you wont see integration anytime soon.

TBH I suspect they'll buy one up at some point.

sl1200

Nov 26, 2023
Visit site
Ok, so I'm on the fence buying a hifi streaming amp - (right now the Yamaha Rn2000a is on the top of my list, also looking at a NAD with BLuos module, or a Marantz or even Cambridge audio EVO 150).
I'm an Apple Music subscriber. Do I understand it well that I can't use Apple Music directly in Yamaha's Musiccast app, or any other of the major hifi brands apps (heos, bluos, , ...), but have to use Apple Music to find the amplifier as a airplay device, and that this will affect the sound quality?

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Yes and no (well not to much). Companies can choose different versions of AirPlay 1 or 2 and one version lets more down the pipe so to speak. John darko has a great video on YouTube explaining this and far better than I can. But they are not implemented the same across the board.

Personally I’d buy a “dumb” amp that will last you along time and along side that a fiio r7 (though I’m not fond of the android route they have taken). Apple Music is native with the r7. That’s just my opinion though.

Reactions: sl1200

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
I used to enjoy the apple music interface etc, but in the end i ditched them as the connectivity options were.... and still are... a very much closed loop with just apple airplay still, still the main option that they promote for streaming from their platform, I was very frustrated trying to get a way of streaming apple lossless files to my dac/amp, If I remember correctly, my apple TV box 4th gen (with the optical out) was the only way, but I had to have the TV on to navigate through my music,..clunky and not very convenient. I advise ditch the platform and move on to a product that is a bit more open with a "connect" option.

Reactions: sl1200

newworld

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site

Are you sure about this? I think from iPhone and iPad it is ALWAYS converted to AAC. 16/44.1 is only possible from Macbook. (Even that is not a guarantee)

The_Lecht_Rocks

Mar 24, 2023
Visit site
I faced the same conundrum as an Apple power user……
consequently I ended up with an EVO150 and Qobuz via CA StreamMagic
Sound quality is exceptional and I’m happy…..the only downside is Qobuz Pricing is a tad more than Apple……
I would revert to Apple Music if/when the service becomes native to the EVO

AndrewF

Feb 3, 2023
Visit site
I faced the same conundrum as an Apple power user……
consequently I ended up with an EVO150 and Qobuz via CA StreamMagic
Sound quality is exceptional and I’m happy…..the only downside is Qobuz Pricing is a tad more than Apple……
I would revert to Apple Music if/when the service becomes native to the EVO
I tried Qobuz, but I found I preferred just to stick with one service. Being able to stream to 2 or 3 rooms at a time is also nice. Perhaps I am fortunate in that plain old CD quality still sounds awfully good to me.

(as an aside, the Lecht does indeed rock. I did a very long bike ride- 3 Pistes- over there a few years ago. Miserable weather, but very, very beautiful)

Last edited:
Reactions: The_Lecht_Rocks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts