Final demo day?????

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
idc:chebby:

Oh yes my R3 cabinets are veneered on the inside too. Found that out when I looked in the port with a torch.

No stone will be left unturned in the inquisitiveness behind the desire for hifi sound quality
emotion-29.gif

But does it improve the sound quality

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
First of all, I said I had no reasonable basis for this prejudice. I still think my argument has some merit. Maybe Rega speakers are amazing. Great. But, to me it makes sense to be cautious of a new speaker offering from a company that has a long history with audio electronics and no history with speakers. That's all I'm saying. There is an element of "Hey, while we're at it, let's slap some boxes together too".

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
igglebert:I have to say, Rega do stunning kit, fullstop. MA will never reach the same level of engineering prowess that Rega have. Just hearing the Rega R5s, Apollo and Mira 3 amazed me at the sound for pound. Anyway, each to their own!

I had very similar experiences with the MA RS6s. I tried them with Roksan kit and had exactly the same results. Then I swapped in the Rotel RA03, recommended for good matching, and it sounded the same but more boomy. The RS8s were frightening. Each to their own, different tastes pick different wares.

True Blue, I hope you enjoy every minute of those babes. Rega speakers seem to work well with Naim and Rega amps. Lovely stuff
emotion-1.gif

This is the way hifi buying should be. I am like a kid at xmas, its a wonderful feeling

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
jaxwired:First of all, I said I had no reasonable basis for this prejudice. I still think my argument has some merit. Maybe Rega speakers are amazing. Great. But, to me it makes sense to be cautious of a new speaker offering from a company that has a long history with audio electronics and no history with speakers. That's all I'm saying. There is an element of "Hey, while we're at it, let's slap some boxes together too".

Rega have been building speakers for about 20 years, they started with decks in 1975 ish, tonearms (RB) in 83, speakers in 89 and amps in around 1990. I can not remember when they released the first CD player. OK so they do not have the history of Tannoy or Quad, but they are hardly a bunch oh new comers either.

Messiah

True Blue:
And then it happened, thorough and utter dissapointment, I could not believe how bad these speakers sounded (to me). I could not bear to listen to any song completely for the following reasons:-

Were these speakers 'Run In'? I have found that MA speakers need a good run in and then those flaws seem to disappear. I have RS1's and some R90HD's and they certainly needed time. (Maybe I just got used to them?...) but I think they sound really good.

(Although to be fair I think you have decided what speakers you want
emotion-1.gif
)

A

Anonymous

Cor! Just had to jump in on this one! I had exactly the same experience with the MA6's. I first listened to them with a Cyrus 8 amp and cd combo and, as an earlier poster put it, the wallpaper was being stripped from the walls! (Yeah, I know he was referreing to the Naim/MA set-up ut it was too good a metaphor not to re-use!). And then on to the Naim pair, much better, fuller and still had the attack and control I was looking for but still too much treble aggression. Next up were a pair of Linns (sorry can't remember what model, but about £2k of stand mounters). The final comparison, having settled on Naim as the source and power, were some Tannoys (again can't remember which ones) which had loads of bass, but seriously uncontrolled and wooly, before the wife and I listened to the Dali Ikon 6's. Blimey! What a contrast! Tight, controlled and deep bass, beautiful midrange and perfect treble. They seem to be slipping off the radar a bit, but do try them. Much easier to listen to than the MA's (and that's hard for me to write being a previous and very happy owner of many of their speakers) but listening in advance is the key . . .

matthewpiano

If the Ikon 6s have a similar sonic signature to the Ikon 1s I tried, but with the extra low-end weight of floorstanders, I reckon they'll be pretty special and certainly well worth auditioning. That hybrid tweeter is superb.

TRENDING THREADS