Final demo day?????

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi all, hopefully got my kit sorted now. Off for a final demo
emotion-2.gif

Naim Nait 5i (itallic) plus matching naim cdp

Plus, and here is todays demo (heard them seperately but never together)

Rega RS3 or MA RS6.

Tough one will post tomorrow on decision (hopefully)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Have a nice time True.

Pass my regards to Nick and James and the other one. (I always forget his name.)

See if they have a NaimUniti yet. (May be worth you comparing. You save on a box and get lots of other nice stuff too and it uses the DAC from the CD5X player as well as all the 5i bits.)

John Duncan

As long as you don't use Apple Lossless
emotion-2.gif

Agreed cheb, I think the Uniti (if you can stretch the extra few hundred) is gonna grab sales from the 5i pair, provided they're close sonically...

Though I kind of like the look of the cdp and amp together. Schweeeeet...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:As long as you don't use Apple Lossless
emotion-2.gif

Wrong.

You can use Apple Lossless from any PC or Mac plugged into the NaimUniti DAC. (Andrew did this at 05:30 this morning if you read his update.)

John Duncan

chebby:
JohnDuncan:As long as you don't use Apple Lossless
emotion-2.gif

Wrong.

You can use Apple Lossless from any PC or Mac plugged into the NaimUniti DAC. (Andrew did this at 05:30 this morning if you read his update.)

I did, but that's hardly the point of the Uniti is it?

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Well, that was interesting!!

I arrived at 1030 for my demo and the Naim gear had been left on all night (using the Naim 5 pin interconnects), hooked up and ready to go were the MA RS6's.

Visually stunning with a great build quality, were the initial impressions. I was eagerly digging my test CD's out of my bag.

Took along the following, Texas White on Blonde, Maroon 5 Songs about Jane, Lily Allen, Sting, Kate Perry and Alannah Miles "Black Velvet".

And then it happened, thorough and utter dissapointment, I could not believe how bad these speakers sounded (to me). I could not bear to listen to any song completely for the following reasons:-

1. I think I had been spoilt by hearing the Rega's previously

2. The sound at times is very muddled across all frequencies

3. Whilst there was a room full of volume there was no definition and everything seemed to have been recorded through cotton wool.

4. It made me want to turn the amp down (it was not even at 9 o clock on the dial)

5. For me there is far too much bass, not very well controlled, far too boomey

6. Some higher frequencies (not all) had a piercing effect on my ears, was told this was because of the metal dome tweeters.

At that point I tried toeing in/out with the speakers, positioning etc, but they just did not work for me. Maybe they were too big for the small dem room, I dont know, but they certainly did not work in there. I was left thinking oh my god I must have made a mistake with the Naim pairing because this was grating and not very enjoyable.

Anyway, after a cup of coffee and a quick speaker swap to the Rega RS3's, my faith was restored into my selection of electronics and realised that it purely was a bad combo (for me) with the speakers. Everything that was wrong with the RS6's ws right with the RS3's. A smile returned to my face (well more like an excited "ive just passed my driving test" grin)

The bass was tight taught and under control. The instruments, particularly piano, strings and hi hat, had lost the piercing ring and I was left enjoying the music again, desperately hoping that 1130 would not arrive (this was whn the next dem was booked). Clarity was there in abundance.

I though this would have been a closer call than what it was, I did not expect there to be the night and day differences that were evident.

I even commented to the dealer about he quality of the Rega's and how they could sound so different whilst in the same price bracket. The regas could command IMO twice the price and still would be good value.

So there we have it, decision made Rega RS3's it is at the end of the Month
emotion-2.gif

No doubt the MA RS6's will suit certain electronics / musical tastes, but they certainly did not suit mine, my music or the Naims.

Still thats what demos are for.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
chebby:

Have a nice time True.

Pass my regards to Nick and James and the other one. (I always forget his name.)

See if they have a NaimUniti yet. (May be worth you comparing. You save on a box and get lots of other nice stuff too and it uses the DAC from the CD5X player as well as all the 5i bits.)

Hi Chebby, passed on my regards to the team. No uniti's yet, however I may audition before the plunge on the amp/cdp later this year. The functionality looks amazing, just what I am after. If it sounds as good as the seperates it is oing to be a tough decision. Having said that I am still quite reserved about having all my eggs in one basket so to say. Still it does what I want, so demo it is when they get one in
emotion-2.gif

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
vinod_david:Many argue that Naim + MA can strip paint from your living room walls - am eager to know the feedback of this combo.

Paint, plaster, neighbours, ear drums. Just did not work for me. Maybe needed a much larger space (Wembley??)

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
True Blue:
Well, that was interesting!!

I arrived at 1030 for my demo and the Naim gear had been left on all night (using the Naim 5 pin interconnects), hooked up and ready to go were the MA RS6's.

Visually stunning with a great build quality, were the initial impressions. I was eagerly digging my test CD's out of my bag.

Took along the following, Texas White on Blonde, Maroon 5 Songs about Jane, Lily Allen, Sting, Kate Perry and Alannah Miles "Black Velvet".

And then it happened, thorough and utter dissapointment, I could not believe how bad these speakers sounded (to me). I could not bear to listen to any song completely for the following reasons:-

1. I think I had been spoilt by hearing the Rega's previously

2. The sound at times is very muddled across all frequencies

3. Whilst there was a room full of volume there was no definition and everything seemed to have been recorded through cotton wool.

4. It made me want to turn the amp down (it was not even at 9 o clock on the dial)

5. For me there is far too much bass, not very well controlled, far too boomey

6. Some higher frequencies (not all) had a piercing effect on my ears, was told this was because of the metal dome tweeters.

At that point I tried toeing in/out with the speakers, positioning etc, but they just did not work for me. Maybe they were too big for the small dem room, I dont know, but they certainly did not work in there. I was left thinking oh my god I must have made a mistake with the Naim pairing because this was grating and not very enjoyable.

Anyway, after a cup of coffee and a quick speaker swap to the Rega RS3's, my faith was restored into my selection of electronics and realised that it purely was a bad combo (for me) with the speakers. Everything that was wrong with the RS6's ws right with the RS3's. A smile returned to my face (well more like an excited "ive just passed my driving test" grin)

The bass was tight taught and under control. The instruments, particularly piano, strings and hi hat, had lost the piercing ring and I was left enjoying the music again, desperately hoping that 1130 would not arrive (this was whn the next dem was booked). Clarity was there in abundance.

I though this would have been a closer call than what it was, I did not expect there to be the night and day differences that were evident.

I even commented to the dealer about he quality of the Rega's and how they could sound so different whilst in the same price bracket. The regas could command IMO twice the price and still would be good value.

So there we have it, decision made Rega RS3's it is at the end of the Month
emotion-2.gif

No doubt the MA RS6's will suit certain electronics / musical tastes, but they certainly did not suit mine, my music or the Naims.

Still thats what demos are for.

That is fascinating. Either I have rose tinted ears(!) or this just proves how different amps and cd players can make a speaker sound. Your description of the RS6s is probably the complete opposite to how I hear them.

You are right though, that is what auditioning is all about.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Shows how important gear matching is!

It's always a worry for us when we send speakers for review! We know WHF like their Cyrus (as do many of people on the forum, seemingly the same people who like the Monitor Audio's/B&W's) but I've never heard any of our speakers sound good on Cyrus! Always on the harsh and forward side with our products unfortunately, which is not to say there is anything wrong with either, just their own character. But if you find the Monitor's muddy and others don't it could well be a factor that they have heard them on equipment which is slightly more forward. We use the current Naim gear as our reference and find it well balanced, as are the Rega speakers to my ears - always found them musical and enjoyable to listen to, something that seems to bear out in your listening.

As always, you've proved the point that a proper demo is vital before you spend your money!ÿ

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
I've got no real basis for this prejudice, I admit that up front, but I don't like the same company to make speakers and electronics (like Rega). They are such very different beasts. I can't help but feel a company dedicted to the single art of speaker building can create a superior product.

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
jaxwired:I've got no real basis for this prejudice, I admit that up front, but I don't like the same company to make speakers and electronics (like Rega). They are such very different beasts. I can't help but feel a company dedicted to the single art of speaker building can create a superior product.

I have heard some daft thoughts but that takes the biscuit. At least with companies such as Linn/Naim/Rega you take a healthy guess at who's CD players and amps they were voiced with. Do you apply the same thought process to car engines and gearboxes, or TV's and Video players, or even amps and CD players.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Gerrardasnails, I must admit to being gobsmacked as well. After reading all the good reviews and comments from various sources regarding the MA RS6's, I was shocked with what I heard.

As I said I think CA / NAD / Cyrus appear to work well with MA (according to kitlists of happy owners), and the build quality and feel is certainly superior to others in that price bracket. So undoubtatdly a fantastic speaker partnered with the correct electronics.

However, thankfully I suppose it made my decision easier.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
respe:

jaxwired:I've got no real basis for this prejudice, I admit that up front, but I don't like the same company to make speakers and electronics (like Rega). They are such very different beasts. I can't help but feel a company dedicted to the single art of speaker building can create a superior product.

I have heard some daft thoughts but that takes the biscuit. At least with companies such as Linn/Naim/Rega you take a healthy guess at who's CD players and amps they were voiced with. Do you apply the same thought process to car engines and gearboxes, or TV's and Video players, or even amps and CD players.

Well, speakers are so very different than electronics. I feel that a company solely focused on speaker design and production is more likely to produce a better product. Rega has to split their R&D among totally diverse efforts.

It's usually the electronics companies that seem to branch out into speakers and not the other way around. Just because a company is great at say amplifiers does not mean it would be great at the very different art of speaker design. I prefer a company that has had years of research and experience in crafting speakers. Seems to me the electronics companies that get into it, do so for purely opportunistic reasons. Also, they are more likely to use their good reputation with electronics to prop up a poor speaker. It's like they say "Hey, we're already set up to manufacture, distribute, and retail audio equipment. Why not slap some boxes together and make a few extra bucks on the side". Sounds like a great product...

Regarding your comment, CD players and Amps are obviously not analogous to electronics and speakers. Hopefully you can see that.

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
Taking that to its extreme then Rega, being a turnatble maker originally, should not be in the electronics market, yet they have turned out some very well regarded CD players and amps over the last few years, and a number of their speakers have proved very popular. SME are tone arm makers, why did they move into the turntable buisness. Quad have been involved in amplification and speakers for years, and where probably responsible for some major speaker designs, as well as turning out more than competant amplifiers, and tuners, and latterly CD players. Good design engineers are just that, and a company having several products in house is no bad thing to me, as R&D from one product range can spin off into others. Linn/Naim/Merdian/Roksan/Rega/Quad, are all well respected companies, and have some more reasonable products across the hi-fi spectrum. Given the nature of the industry, I would have thought it would have made sense for a company to utilise its production and design facilities to the maximum, rather than being dependent on a single product range (Wharfedale/Castle/Celestion etc).

If you move to the top of the market, then maybe there is the financial space for a company to be profitable on a single product range, but how many of us can afford product from that part of the market.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
chebby:

Told you those Rega RS3's were good
emotion-1.gif

Just don't go listening to them with the Nait XS & CD5X or you will have to find even more money!

I know, just hope the dont bring out a unitixs!!

Still may well get an xs and just use PC as source through DAC, oh the joys of upgrading.................

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
True Blue:chebby:

Told you those Rega RS3's were good
emotion-1.gif

Just don't go listening to them with the Nait XS & CD5X or you will have to find even more money!

I know, just hope the dont bring out a unitixs!!

Still may well get an xs and just use PC as source through DAC, oh the joys of upgrading.....

I thought that, but the CD5i sounds so good with it's matching amp...

I am patient. And there is always next year.

matthewpiano

jaxwired:respe:

Well, speakers are so very different than electronics. I feel that a company solely focused on speaker design and production is more likely to produce a better product. Rega has to split their R&D among totally diverse efforts.

It's usually the electronics companies that seem to branch out into speakers and not the other way around. Just because a company is great at say amplifiers does not mean it would be great at the very different art of speaker design. I prefer a company that has had years of research and experience in crafting speakers. Seems to me the electronics companies that get into it, do so for purely opportunistic reasons. Also, they are more likely to use their good reputation with electronics to prop up a poor speaker. It's like they say "Hey, we're already set up to manufacture, distribute, and retail audio equipment. Why not slap some boxes together and make a few extra bucks on the side". Sounds like a great product...

Regarding your comment, CD players and Amps are obviously not analogous to electronics and speakers. Hopefully you can see that.

There is only one problem with this post Jaxwired....

REGA MAKE STUNNING SPEAKERS.

A

Anonymous

I have to say, Rega do stunning kit, fullstop. MA will never reach the same level of engineering prowess that Rega have. Just hearing the Rega R5s, Apollo and Mira 3 amazed me at the sound for pound. Anyway, each to their own!

I had very similar experiences with the MA RS6s. I tried them with Roksan kit and had exactly the same results. Then I swapped in the Rotel RA03, recommended for good matching, and it sounded the same but more boomy. The RS8s were frightening. Each to their own, different tastes pick different wares.

True Blue, I hope you enjoy every minute of those babes. Rega speakers seem to work well with Naim and Rega amps. Lovely stuff
emotion-1.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Concerning the speculation as to why Rega should not be able to make as good speakers as a dedicated speaker company like MA.... sorry but they do. (Better in my humble opinion.)

They design everything themselves, build their own bass & mid drivers and crossovers from scratch (in-house) and their own custom designed tweeter is outsourced to Vifa. No 'off the shelf' driver units. The cabinets are made to Rega's own design and specifications in the UK and everything is assembled and tested in Essex. They pretty much have total control which is unusual for a British company nowadays.

I doubt it is any co-incidence that they sound so good with their own electronics or with Naim's. Rega and Naim tend to be sold alongside each other and always have been. The companies have a very similar ethos and buld as much in-house as they can. Even the outsourced components are very often 'bespoke' or customised just for their own equipment.

Rega is a 'soup to nuts' company (they even make their own cartridges down to winding the tiny coils in-house!) moreso than Naim even. (Naim only make a tone-arm. They don't make any turntables or cartridges.)

Oh yes my R3 cabinets are veneered on the inside too. Found that out when I looked in the port with a torch.

idc

chebby:

Oh yes my R3 cabinets are veneered on the inside too. Found that out when I looked in the port with a torch.

No stone will be left unturned in the inquisitiveness behind the desire for hifi sound quality
emotion-29.gif

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
chebby:

aren't we all cucu?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts