AVI DM10 and change of direction.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
insider9 said:
Al ears said:
MajorFubar said:
Wow!! Small world.

Isn't it just. I have been in contact with said person and just hope he hasn't changed his mind. Had planned a long drive up to his house but may not be able to do that until new year. Perhaps he will courier down to me if I cough up the cash.

Well spotted by Gazzip and well remembered that I made a mistake in selling my original pair....... and no these are not one and the same unless the Major bought his from a bloke in Cardiff... ;-)
If you're still up for exchange that would be great. I'm patiently waiting :)

Apologies, double post.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
insider9 said:
Well funnily enough I reckon a year or two down the line I might be looking for them again. As for now, I'm not there yet.

This is exactly what I did. I purchased a pair in 2011 and really didn't get along with them at all. I just didn't "get" them if that makes sense? I said some pretty derogatory things on here about them at the time. Sorry Richard Allen if you still read this forum, although you got such a roasting for other reasons back then I doubt if you do...

Roll on September 2016, and with (I think) more of a sense of what transparency actually means, I bagged a pair of mint black ones on eBay for about £100. Bargain of the century I thought so worth a try. This time around I think they are awesome. They are in my living room system and could do with some better amplification, they are strapped on to a Denon DM40 believe it or not!, but their sonic traits (transparency and agility) still shine through. I do still think they could do with a kick up the behind when it comes to their bottom end, but TBH that might be the Denon's fault...

Great write up, Major, and my condolences re your understandable absence. I was wondering about your other sources too, as AVI converts seem to go the mac aex route you've followed. At least you have your Thorens tucked away!

That connectivity thing is the one significant problem I'd face, being wedded to tuner, TT, cassette deck etc. In some cases more than one of each, not to mention chromecast and squeezebox!

Probably the most believable review of AVI I've seen anywhere, actually.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Good to see you back Major. :)

Great review too, one of the best and most rounded so far.

Glad you've still kept your classic Cyrus system. That hifi is cool with a capitol K.

shadders

Hi,

With regards to the domestically acceptable models, you could purchase another active speaker such as an Adam, or other, and also purchase some sticky backed plastic wood veneer film - Fablon - at £7.85 for a 45cm wide x 2metre long roll, to cover them in.

Should you desire a change of veneer style, then it is simply another purchase of said Fablon roll. You will have saved at least £1,000 if you purchased a pro monitor and a Fablon roll.

Whoever said that 1970's decor was cr*p, was thoroughly wrong.

Regards,

Shadders.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Al ears said:
MajorFubar said:
bigboss said:
Welcome back, Major! Good to see you again. That's a very nice write-up of your experience with the DM10! *good*

Thanks Big Boss it would be even better if this **** forum had kept my paragraphing, it looks fine in preview but is an unreadable mess here.

Welcome back indeed. Funny old world. Those EB2's weren't light oak where they? Are you Lancashire domiciled? If so turns out there's a forum member who might have bought them and, you were right, they didn't suit and has offered to sell them to me.....

Anyway appreciate your write up.

Yes they were and yes I am...would be very coincidental if it's the same person but stranger things have happened!!

Even stranger is that I might just have 'inspired' the basic design of the EB2s in this thread ...

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/eb-acoustics-eb2

(See posts #4 and #5)

I am still waiting for a chance to hear a pair of Snell Type K speakers (now Audio Note AN-Ks) which is what I think we both had in mind at one time ...

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/looks-chebbys-going-to-get-his-wish

(Al Ears spotted the Snell thing even though I'd barely heard of them.)

It could have been fantastic if the guy had managed to maintain his business and deliver product on time. (Even got 5 star reviews for both of his loudspeakers.)

I digress (wildly). Glad to see you back here and I repeat my condolences (a c##p word when you actually read it back. Sorry.)

ADM10s eh? LOL! Been very close to doing the same a couple of times in the past but was talked out of it by it's recently retired MD and a couple of his close friends.

Maybe if he really has retired? Hmmmm.

Thanks for the review. It's definitely one to read a few times over and again.

Is it now possible to buy a set without ever having to engage with AJ on any level whatsoever? (Assuming he stays banned here.)

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
nopiano said:
Great write up, Major, and my condolences re your understandable absence. I was wondering about your other sources too, as AVI converts seem to go the mac aex route you've followed. At least you have your Thorens tucked away!

That connectivity thing is the one significant problem I'd face, being wedded to tuner, TT, cassette deck etc. In some cases more than one of each, not to mention chromecast and squeezebox!

so you needed to hear it from 'one of your own', makes all the difference does it? Because the rest of the positive reviews are all to be disbelieved. hence making many of those reviewers damn right liars I suppose?!

It's a superbly well written and informative review but it mirrors countless other reviews that are every bit as real life and believable. God this must be a bitter pill for some swallow... where's LindsayT informing the Major his words mean something completely different, that in reality, the Major doesn't know what he enjoys sonically? And whilst I'm at it, well done Shadders, not arguing the power ratings for once.

This forum's entirely personality driven because for any other reviewer there'd be suggestions that they're either a plant, got cloth ears or are simply being dishonest applied, it's laughable.

shadders

luckylion100 said:
nopiano said:

so you needed to hear it from 'one of your own', makes all the difference does it? Because the rest of the positive reviews are all to be disbelieved. hence making many of those reviewers damn right liars I suppose?!

It's a superbly well written and informative review but it mirrors countless other reviews that are every bit as real life and believable. God this must be a bitter pill for some swallow... where's LindsayT informing the Major his words mean something completely different, that in reality, the Major doesn't know what he enjoys sonically? And whilst I'm at it, well done Shadders, not arguing the power ratings for once.

This forum's entirely personality driven because for any other reviewer there'd be suggestions that they're either a plant, got cloth ears or are simply being dishonest applied, it's laughable.
Hi,

Since you have brought it up.......

Joking aside, I have only challenged the technical accuracy in correlation with the industry standard. If you read my posts, this has always been the basis of the comments I have made.

Not sure it is personality driven, but may be approach driven criticisms.

Regards,

Shadders.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
luckylion100 said:
nopiano said:

Do you not think that the generally positive reaction to his review might be down to the Major's stability in the hobby and on the forum? He has maintained a fairly constant setup for many years and has finally had his head turned by something radically different. That is an event worth paying attention to and deserves the response it got. Some Johnny No-mark coming on to the forum and banging on about the next best thing happens all the time so has less of an impact. You see my point, no?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
nopiano said:

Yep the assumption is that buyers have made a transition to digital sources by and large. Naturally you can connect any devices equipped with an optical-out not just computers, so CDPs, BDPs or TVs are all in-scope. I guess one option if you have multiple analogue sources is to buy (or build) a switch box, which needs to be nothing more than a regular source selector switch soldered-up to some RCA sockets. It would be an easy afternoon's job to build something in a small electronics hobby box. Naturally a TT would still need to be fed through a phono stage ahead of the switchbox.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
luckylion100 said:
nopiano said:

A bit of an over the top response Luckylion ? - yes. I see a bag of chips on your shoulder

Well done Major - welcome back - great review from a straight up no BS guy.

One question - does the DM10 really need a sub woofer?

cheers tonky

luckylion100 said:
nopiano said:

Unless you are bring ironic, or I've missed the joke, I think you are taking my words too literally. I am quite quick to defend reviewers and journalists. (I've tried to write a few reviews of gear and concerts and it's not easy to get the right tone). And Alan Sircom's recent review was pretty good, but his magazine is like the rest, in thrall to upgrade possibilities. The Major's was detailed, yet relevant to me - domestic setting and own money, amongst other reasons. Davedotco has been equally measured to my eyes, but gets picked on by others.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi Tonky, I don't think it does really unless you listen to a lot of material with sub bass (<50Hz). I bought one as a cheeky extravagance while the funds still existed to buy one. After quite a bit of experimentation I've got it to blend in well and I'm as equally happy with its purchase as I was with the DMs; certainly makes its presence known on action films for example. But depending on your musical preferences, it's very rarely needed with music. Great for theatre organ recitals :)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I think people have learned a lot from these and the major adopts a very measured tone with his post.

Personally I have no interest in ADM10s for myself, the finish is entirely inapropriate but I do know someone with a pair of older 9Ts and I have tries several of the more up to date 9 series models when looking to buy at the beginning of this year.

My personal view is that this series of speakers are outstanding value for anyone who can manage their obvious limitations with regard to size, facilities, cabling etc. If the new 'regime' produces the ADM10 in piano black I will investigate further, maybe even get to try them myself.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
‘Dynamics’, because there just seems to be a much bigger distance between loud and soft than other speakers I had previously heard. Crescendos (be they orchestral, or even just the final section of Phil Collins’ In The Air Tonight from 3:41 onwards) can take you completely by surprise if you have set the volume using quieter sections as a reference. Play a piece of music which begins quietly and you could easily find the louder sections blow you off your chair, such is the range they seem to be able to encompass.

How are the ADM10s at 'moderate' (or even low) volume levels?

I am currently enjoying the best low-moderate volume performance that I have heard in a very long time (decades), with speakers that love being in corners (about four inches away from walls at rear and sides) and were designed as such.

I suppose I am asking what happened if your 'reference' volume level was set on the middle to loud bits. Would the quiet parts still be audible?

Thanks.

MajorFubar said:
Hi Tonky, I don't think it does really unless you listen to a lot of material with sub bass (<50Hz). I bought one as a cheeky extravagance while the funds still existed to buy one. After quite a bit of experimentation I've got it to blend in well and I'm as equally happy with its purchase as I was with the DMs; certainly makes its presence known on action films for example. But depending on your musical preferences, it's very rarely needed with music. Great for theatre organ recitals :)

I can image those recitals now appearing a tad more 'real'. ;-)

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
of the major. He was virtually donated a pair of speakers by an ailing manufacturer, declared here that he was taking a break from hifi, yet continued to post on the hdd audio forum virtually begging for the AVI speakers. Frankly, his credibility must be open to doubt.

Also, Mr James is still a major shareholder in AVI, and still posts his take on the truth on their forum. In between he does admit he encourages users to post here, as it helps sell speakers. Luckily, this forum is nearly dead, so his blatant exploitation of this forum has minimal effect.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
avole said:
of the major. He was virtually donated a pair of speakers by an ailing manufacturer, declared here that he was taking a break from hifi, yet continued to post on the hdd audio forum virtually begging for the AVI speakers. Frankly, his credibility must be open to doubt.

Also, Mr James is still a major shareholder in AVI, and still posts his take on the truth on their forum. In between he does admit he encourages users to post here, as it helps sell speakers. Luckily, this forum is nearly dead, so his blatant exploitation of this forum has minimal effect.

If what you say is true, I am deeply disappointed and saddened. - Perhaps some evidence wouldn't go amiss to back up your allegations?

shadders

MajorFubar said:
avole said:
He was virtually donated a pair of speakers by an ailing manufacturer, declared here that he was taking a break from hifi, yet continued to post on the hdd audio forum virtually begging for the AVI speakers. Frankly, his credibility must be open to doubt.

What kind of utter horse **** is this? And who the hell are you? I posted on the AVI forum asking for a demo, I didn't get one because no one lives near. After which I bought a pair fair and square. I posted that I was taking a break from the forums not HiFi, which I have done. Where is my post 'virtually begging for AVI speakers'? Feel free to post a link. If you can't then take your ass back to where it came from you trouble-making **** stirring creep.
Hi ellisdj,

As you can see, nothing but positive vibes. I really don't know what you are talking about.

Regards,

Shadders.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
avole said:
He was virtually donated a pair of speakers by an ailing manufacturer, declared here that he was taking a break from hifi, yet continued to post on the hdd audio forum virtually begging for the AVI speakers. [/b]Frankly, his credibility must be open to doubt.

What kind of utter horse **** is this? And who the hell are you? I posted on the AVI forum asking for a demo, I didn't get one because no one lives near. After which I bought a pair fair and square. I posted that I was taking a break from the forums not HiFi, which I have done. Where is my post 'virtually begging for AVI speakers'? Feel free to post a link. If you can't then take your ass back to where it came from you trouble-making **** stirring creep. Since when did I piss on your party?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
shadders said:
As you can see, nothing but positive vibes. I really don't know what you are talking about.

Regards,

Shadders.
Sorry but when I get character assisinated for no reason that I can figure whatsoever then I will defend myself.

insider9

avole said:

I have met Major about a month ago at his home. Spent good few hours listening to a wide range of music and discussing what was playing and I can definitely attest to his credibility in this field.

He's a warm knowledgeable and open person. I won't go into whether there's any truth to what you have said as I simply don't know nor care. But I will say this, I find your ad hominem attack as distasteful at best.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Major, I have read your original EB2 review from 2014 and at no point was there any mention of anyone 'donating' them to you. You commented that a good deal was made for a set of ex-demo/ex-review speakers.

At no point did Richard Allen (who posted a few times in the same thread) mention 'donating' the EB2s either.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
I have read your original EB2 review from 2014 and at no point was there any mention of 'donating' them. A good deal was made for a set of ex-demo/ex-review speakers. At no point did Richard Allen (who posted a few times) mention 'donating' the EB2s either.

Thanks Chebby. I really don't know who this guys is or why he's so intent on destroying my credibility. Richard Allen gave me a fantastic deal on the EB2s which otherwise were destined for scrap because they were the What Hifi pair and could not be re-sold. I'm thankful that I was equally able to sell them to Insider9 for a price that we both felt was reasonable (quite a bit less than what I paid I must add), and in fact I even docked him a tenner because he'd driven so far.

As for the DM10s, I posted up a thread asking where they could be demoed. Anyone is free to search the HDD forum and browse my posts under my real name of John Orrell, feel free to hunt for the one where I'm "begging for AVI speakers". I bought my DM10s fair and square at list price and I'm not really sure why this person is intent on character assassination. But I do feel I have the right to defend myself.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts