Changing priorities

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Andrew17321 said:
MatthewPiano, I use a NAS and Sonos for streaming to various systems: to Devialet Phantoms, to an ARCAM amplifier feeding Spenor floorstanders, and a legacy Rotel amplifier system.  I also use it to stream radio, particularly Radio 3 at 320 AAC and Linn Radio.  Works a treat, very easy to set up and use, and sound quality excellent, particularly through the Phantoms.

I can't understand why you would want to use DAB radio.  Its sound quality is poor for listening seriously to music.  There are higher quality streams of most music stations on the web which will work over Sonos, or via Bluetooth from a pad or smart phone.  Our car radio has DAB; about a year ago we tried listening to ClassicFM on it - 5 minutes later we switched back to FM, and I haven't tried it again since.  From reading your previous posts, I doubt you would be satisfied with DAB.

Exactly this solution. You can even add a separate dac at a later stage if the SQ isn't quite there for you.

Burn all your cds to a NAS and run it all through the Sonos. It has access to loads of music streaming services and loads of radio stations.

Good luck!

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
matt49 said:
Matthew,

Have you looked into Qobuz Classical? It gives access to an enormous and remarkably up-to-date repertoire at CD quality. The cost is £15/month, which works out pretty well compared to the cost of new CDs. I can't imagine any 'itch' for classical music that it wouldn't satisfy.

Last Xmas I bought my dad a Sonos Connect and the Qobuz subscription. Despite the technological barrier -- not inconsiderable for a gent pushing 90 -- he's become quite addicted to it. While not an effusive person, every time I see him he regales me with news of the latest recordings he's been listening to. The gift has given me a lot of pleasure as well as him.

Matt

+1 - I Love Qobuz too.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
matt49 said:
Matthew,

Have you looked into Qobuz Classical? It gives access to an enormous and remarkably up-to-date repertoire at CD quality. The cost is £15/month, which works out pretty well compared to the cost of new CDs. I can't imagine any 'itch' for classical music that it wouldn't satisfy.

Last Xmas I bought my dad a Sonos Connect and the Qobuz subscription. Despite the technological barrier -- not inconsiderable for a gent pushing 90 -- he's become quite addicted to it. While not an effusive person, every time I see him he regales me with news of the latest recordings he's been listening to. The gift has given me a lot of pleasure as well as him.

Matt

And a nice Quad Vena like mine for the Qobuz ...

http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/info/hi-res-guide/quad-vena-qobuzissime-produces177369

(2x optical, co-ax digital, USB A for iPhones etc. and USB B and 2x analogue and Bluetooth aptX as well as a nice 45wpc class A/B amp and a full sized 1/4" headphone jack.)

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
matt49 said:

Matt

What a nice story. :)

It reminds me a bit of when I bought my girlfriend an MP3 player and filled it up with all of her favourite music before wrapping it up and giving it to her for her birthday. It was only £20 but it was one of the best presents that I've ever got her.

matthewpiano

I did try Qobuz when it first came to the UK and I liked it, but stopped subscribing as I had no way of enjoying it through the hi-fi. The option to access this as well as Spotify and internet radio services does make Sonos Connect an attractive solution. It would also leave me to carry on enjoying the Pioneer A400, which is a big bonus.

The Yamaha CD-N301 idea is also worth thinking about, though that wouldn't give me access to Qobuz. I like Yamaha's network control app, which I am used to using with the N560D. It would mean moving the Rotel out though, and that is a bit of a special CD player.

Plenty of food for thought here.

matthewpiano

Interesting afternoon today which has resulted in me feeling more settled.

I played the remaster of Supertramp's Crime of the Century on the Rotel/Pioneer/Dynaudio combination and found it sounding flat. It isn't the best ever sounding disc, but I knew it could sound better than that, which led to swapping components one by one until I felt I was getting the best of the music. The result was that I ended up with all the Rega kit back on, sounding significantly better than any other combination. Playing through some of the discs I've been listening to lately, I realised what I've been missing by putting the Rega stuff on the sideline.

The conclusion is that I'm going to add 21st century functionality to the all-Rega system by adding a DAC, and a netbook or small laptop. This solution will give me more flexibility than any other (internet radio, any streaming service I wish etc.), without sacrificing the involving performance of the Rega set-up with any source. Next thing is to decide on a DAC!

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
matthewpiano said:

I played the remaster of Supertramp's Crime of the Century on the Rotel/Pioneer/Dynaudio combination and found it sounding flat. It isn't the best ever sounding disc, but I knew it could sound better than that, which led to swapping components one by one until I felt I was getting the best of the music. The result was that I ended up with all the Rega kit back on, sounding significantly better than any other combination. Playing through some of the discs I've been listening to lately, I realised what I've been missing by putting the Rega stuff on the sideline.

The conclusion is that I'm going to add 21st century functionality to the all-Rega system by adding a DAC, and a netbook or small laptop. This solution will give me more flexibility than any other (internet radio, any streaming service I wish etc.), without sacrificing the involving performance of the Rega set-up with any source. Next thing is to decide on a DAC!

I find that a lot of older music that originally sounded great on vinyl, sounds pretty poor on CD.

It's one of the reasons I'm getting a turntable soon.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
matthewpiano said:

I find that a lot of older music that originally sounded great on vinyl, sounds pretty poor on CD.

It's one of the reasons I'm getting a turntable soon.

Fantastic. I have a feeling this is going to be some turntable ...

Snooker

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Mathew, Interested to read that the Yamaha 560D is noticably better than the MCR610 & presume Denon Ceol N8, I did a quick search for it and it got a glowing review but indicated you had hiss from the phono out, is this true from your experience ?

Its just in a few years time I will have some money and may look into getting a Yamaha all in one system

Also interesting what you said about really expensive systems, I have always said after going to hi-fi exhibitions that above around £2000 there is no noticable difference in sound quality and that rich kit is purely for rich people

Neglecting bad sounding systems which people would not buy anyway, would basically class hi-fi in five catorgories:-

Good or Average/Very Good/Excellent/Superb/Outstanding

Would your kit for example be outstanding, Yamaha all in one superb and MCR610/Ceol N8 Excellent

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Snooker said:
Its just in a few years time I will have some money and may look into getting a Yamaha all in one system

You might be interested in the new Yamaha mini systems coming out with some interesting new features ..... Multicast, USB DAC and Bluetooth transmitter (as well as receiver)

91DB01067EC14E64998B283E492D5868_12075.jpg

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Snooker said:
Also interesting what you said about really expensive systems, I have always said after going to hi-fi exhibitions that above around £2000 there is no noticable difference in sound quality and that rich kit is purely for rich people.

Hifi shows are often not the best places to assess expensive kit.

IME. Expensive kit can sound incredible.....but....it has to be the right kit, correctly set up and in the right room eg Linn Klimax DS + MF Primo + AMS 100 + Kef Blades

matthewpiano

Snooker said:
Mathew, Interested to read that the Yamaha 560D is noticably better than the MCR610 & presume Denon Ceol N8, I did a quick search for it and it got a glowing review but indicated you had hiss from the phono out, is this true from your experience ?

Also interesting what you said about really expensive systems, I have always said after going to hi-fi exhibitions that above around £2000 there is no noticable difference in sound quality and that rich kit is purely for rich people

Neglecting bad sounding systems which people would not buy anyway, would basically class hi-fi in five catorgories:-

Good or Average/Very Good/Excellent/Superb/Outstanding

Would your kit for example be outstanding, Yamaha all in one superb and MCR610/Ceol N8 Excellent
Hi Snooker. Yes, in my opinion the Yamaha CRX-n560D is a better product than the Marantz. It's sound is more natural to my ears. The biggest difference is in operational stability. Yamaha's control app is much more stable than the Marantz one, and the implementation of Spotify (using Spotify Connect) is considerably less problematic.

As for grading the systems I'd say that for the money the Rega seperates are outstanding. I've heard much more expensive kit that hasn't involved me as much with the music. As for the Marantz and Yamaha systems I'd say they were both 'superb' for what they are and the money they cost. My own preference is for the Yamaha is indicated above, but I don't think the difference in sound is so pronounced that they would fall into different grading categories. Take overall cost out of the equation and in a straight comparison between either of these systems and the Rega seperates, the latter would win the day very comfortably.

If you are interested in Yamaha Pianocraft systems, I second Tino's suggestion of investigating the new MCR-N870D, particularly if it can be purchased without speakers and used with your own choice. It looks like a well designed system and I'm sure, looking at the specs, that it would be a step up from the 560D, though an audition would be the only way to tell. At one point in the last week or so, I was considering the 870 electronics as an option, but having set up the Rega kit again and after several hours listening, I know I'd be a fool to make any more changes to the core of my system unless I could afford a considerable and carefully chosen step up.

I've heard a handful of very expensive systems that really are worth their cost but many more that I would find hard to justify even if I had the money. For the record, the ones that have most impressed are:

Rega RP10, Apheta, Aria, Osiris, with KEF Reference 10 floorstanders

Rega RP10, Apheta, and Aria, with Naim pre/power and PMC Twenty:26 floorstanders

Arcam CD37, A38, with Focal 806 standmounts

Sugden Mystro CD and amp with Focal 806 standmounts

Luxman pre/power with Triangle Magnellan floorstanders

Linn streamer with Linn Exakt and Kudos Titan 806 floorstanders

Electrcompaniet CD and amplification with KEF Blades

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi MP, thanks for the interesting post. I've had similar thoughts in terms of adding extra functionality and haven't made a firm decision as of yet. For me DAB is not worth purchasing a new tuner for until either DAB+ comes in or FM is switched off. If the Pioneer streamers were a bit cheaper I may go this route - matching with my A30. I've also thought of buying an AV receiver and using the pre-outs into the A30 as a way to give me more functionality (internet radio, spotify, DAB etc)

Suprised nobody has really mentioned the Rega kit you have until late on in the posts. Great that is working well for you again. Do you find you have potentially more boxes with the Rega kit than with other brands such as the Japanese companies? For example, needing seperate headphone amp, seperate DAC, + lack of tone controls, loudness etc

MP Have you heard any of the newer Dali speaker ranges recently? e.g. Rubicon/Opticon

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
( evening drama)

- matthew.. did your signature change?

- yes, indeed...

- is it 3 times in the last 2 weeks?

- yes, indeed...

- you did not describe current state of cables and stands! would you please correct this oversight as I cannot fully visualize your set up?

matthewpiano

lpv said:
( evening drama)

- yes, indeed...

- yes, indeed...

- you did not describe current state of cables and stands! would you please correct this oversight as I cannot fully visualize your set up?
No.

matthewpiano

Blackdawn said:
Hi MP, thanks for the interesting post. I've had similar thoughts in terms of adding extra functionality and haven't made a firm decision as of yet. For me DAB is not worth purchasing a new tuner for until either DAB+ comes in or FM is switched off. If the Pioneer streamers were a bit cheaper I may go this route - matching with my A30. I've also thought of buying an AV receiver and using the pre-outs into the A30 as a way to give me more functionality (internet radio, spotify, DAB etc)

Suprised nobody has really mentioned the Rega kit you have until late on in the posts. Great that is working well for you again. Do you find you have potentially more boxes with the Rega kit than with other brands such as the Japanese companies? For example, needing seperate headphone amp, seperate DAC, + lack of tone controls, loudness etc

MP Have you heard any of the newer Dali speaker ranges recently? e.g. Rubicon/Opticon
Hi Blackdawn, Yes, potentially there will be more boxes with my Rega gear, but at least the amp and CD are half-sized boxes so when you compare these with the size of a more multi-functional unit like the TX-8150, the number of boxes probably isn't going to matter much. There are some good DACs around (such as the DacMagic+) that also offer a headphone amp, and the phono stage in the Brio-R is so good that I don't need to worry about adding an external one, so no problems. I'm afraid I haven't heard the Opticon or Rubicon ranges. The new Opticon range looks interesting and I would imagine (going on Dali's past form) that they will be well worth hearing. If I hear them at some point I'll report back, but I'm not thinking of changing the speakers in the forseeable future.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
lpv said:
( evening drama)

- yes, indeed...

- yes, indeed...

No.

you will son... you will

TRENDING THREADS