Naim Nait 5si with Kef LS50

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

I recently had a demo of a Rega Elex-r with my Kef LS50s and ordered the Elex-r on the strenght of the demo. There is a 4 week plus lead time on the Elex r it seems.

While browsing on here recently I've noticed that a Naim Nait 5si is more or less the same price as the Elex-r. I always thought that Naim gear cost alot more so never really considered looking at their amps.

Has anyone heard the Nait 5si with Kef Ls50s, or even better compared the Elex-r with the Nait 5si side by side? My main criteria would be good speed and agility with decent bass weight and good clear drum impact. The Elex r certainly had all of these things. Perhaps the Naim might be even better? I have heard some descibe the Naim as being very fast and agile but the bass a bit thin sounding. I would not mind that so much as long as drums were loud and lively and not recessed as I find with my current A19.

Thanks, Chris.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
If your ever thinking about getting a turntable then stick with the Elex R, personally I have demoed a Brio r vs nait 5si - much preferred the Brio

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
stevebrock said:
If your ever thinking about getting a turntable then stick with the Elex R, personally I have demoed a Brio r vs nait 5si - much preferred the Brio

Thanks Stevebrock, what did you not like about the nait 5si? I don't intend to ever get a turntable. The nait 5si does have a headphone out which is one thing I would miss a little with the Elex-r. Don't use it enough to be a deal breaker however. While I say the Elex-r has everything I was looking for (as indeed did the Brio mostly) it is in comparision to the A19.

Is the Nait 5si even more lively than the Elex r but at the expense of bass weight? That seems to be the usual trade off.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Just personal preference really !

I think you should go and demo both together with same source & speakers and decide which you prefer!

if you prefer the Elex then Rega do a nice headphone amp !

nbaptista

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Naim and Rega share some particularities, like the ability to reproduce the pace, rythm and timing(PRAT)of a record. But they sound completely different, you have to listen the Nait 5si. I prefer the Rega sound, but it´s just my preference!You may prefer Naim sound!

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for replies.

In a very general sense from what I've researched the Naim is a bit more dry, bass light and analytical sounding than the Rega. I am curious as to what this "Naim sound" is about. Must try to hear one.

rainsoothe

well I, for one, love it (and not a huge Rega fan, but I understand why people like Rega). And I don't know about the 5si, but at least the Supernait2 is anything but bass light. People usually hate on them because the soundstage is not as three-dimensional as other amps, but it is very musical. I can't explain this term, you just have to hear it for yourself. But to me it means not listening to the amp and listening to the music instead. And i love the presentation. It also gives you a feeling like music is always moving forward, constantly and surely, like a train. Audition is the only way.

MickyBlue

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
tbh its a matter of taste, personally i have demoed naim xs, leema elements, heed, rega brio-r and a few others with the kefs, they all do the job and they all have there different pro's and cons', i personally prefer a more laid back smoother presentation which the leema gives in spades along with good control over the kefs, when pushed some of the amps will loose control over the bass so you need to gauge how loud you want to play them.

The naim sounds to me a little edgy with the kefs, a little too analytical for my tastes, but this maybe something you prefer, its all about each individual and what they prefer, i would say get a shortlist of a few amps that have different characteristics and see which you prefer.

don't dismiss the second hand route either, you can save a fortune..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts