Canton Ergo 670dc vs KEF Q700 vs MA RX6

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I decided to replace my Ergo 603 with some floorstanding speaker. The options are those three models. I auditioned RX6 (790 euros), they sounded very warm, open in middle, the bass wasnt as tight as Ergo's, but all in all, MAs are the ones you can easily fall in love. Very enjoyable speakers. KEFs (1120 euros) left no impression to me, not BAD impression but NO impression at all. I think that I was the first one who give them a listen, they where brand new and need to be run in. The problem with Ergo 670dc (1150 euros) is that they are not available on stock,the only option is to order them, no prior audition available. But the guy told me that he thinks there are no big differences between new Ergo series 670s, 630s and their predecessors 607s and 603s. Has anybody give them a listen? Any comment could be useful.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
I would suggest you go back and listen to the Q700's once they are run in.........I found them far superior to the MA RX6's when I demo'd both before xmas.....

A

Anonymous

Listen for yourself and judge. Take some impartial advice. For me the RX6 will hands down on performance. But also remember these have to go into a living room with a wife around (in my case anyway) So, the vinyl finish of the KEF vs the sumptuous real wood veneer finish of the MA is a 'no-brainer' for me.

babajaglika:I decided to replace my Ergo 603 with some floorstanding speaker. The options are those three models. I auditioned RX6 (790 euros), they sounded very warm, open in middle, the bass wasnt as tight as Ergo's, but all in all, MAs are the ones you can easily fall in love. Very enjoyable speakers. KEFs (1120 euros) left no impression to me, not BAD impression but NO impression at all. I think that I was the first one who give them a listen, they where brand new and need to be run in. The problem with Ergo 670dc (1150 euros) is that they are not available on stock,the only option is to order them, no prior audition available. But the guy told me that he thinks there are no big differences between new Ergo series 670s, 630s and their predecessors 607s and 603s. Has anybody give them a listen? Any comment could be useful.

Hi babajaglika

I've not heard the Canton speakers however from your other considerations i would also recommend Monitor Audio's Silver RX6 speakers as a) the RX6's are far more coherent and b) they are also form an excellent match with the NAD C355BEE/C525BEE
emotion-2.gif
I also feel the Silver RX6's overall build, fit and finish also punches well above its weight.

The Silver RX6's impress from the outset and fully deserve the praise they receive
emotion-2.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Interesting thread! I'm saving at the moment and will be buying my new speakers in the next couple of months, what's on my shortlist is MA RX6, B&W 683 and KEF Q700, would anyone care to elaborate on the strengths and weaknesses of the different speakers.

I will of course have a demo when the time is right, but I am just curious what others thought?

Rick@MUSICRAFT how would you rate the 3 speakers I have listed.

Thanks a lot!
emotion-2.gif

007L2Thrill:
Interesting thread! I'm saving at the moment and will be buying my new speakers in the next couple of months, what's on my shortlist is MA RX6, B&W 683 and KEF Q700, would anyone care to elaborate on the strengths and weaknesses of the different speakers.

I will of course have a demo when the time is right, but I am just curious what others thought?

Thanks a lot!
emotion-2.gif

Hi 007L2thrill

I would say from these three speakers Monitor Audio's Silver RX6 speakers are easily at the top followed by the Q700's and then closely by the 683's. Some of the qualities of the Silver RX6's include having an excellent mid/treble performance (without being in your face or upfront), a powerful bass (without boom & wobble) and an overall far more coherent performance.

The Silver RX6's build, fit, finishing, presentation, performance and pricing simply adds to a pair of speakers which excude class.

Monitor Audio inspires confidence
emotion-1.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
MUSICRAFT:

007L2Thrill:

Thanks a lot!
emotion-2.gif

Hi 007L2thrill

I would say from these three speakers Monitor Audio's Silver RX6 speakers are easily at the top followed by the Q700's and then closely by the 683's. Some of the qualities of the Silver RX6's include having an excellent mid/treble performance (without being in your face or upfront), a powerful bass (without boom & wobble) and an overall far more coherent performance.

The Silver RX6's build, fit, finishing, presentation, performance and pricing simply adds to a pair of speakers which excude class.

emotion-1.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi Rick

Thanks for that, helped a lot.
emotion-21.gif

A lot of people I have spoken to and dealers I have emailed have said monitor audio RX6 as the best speaker, so that's on top of my list now.

One last thing if I added in the B&W CM8 would you class these better then the RX6.

Thanks again Rick.

All the best.

Mike.

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Pistol Pete1:

Go on, Mike.......

Get some demo's lined up and have a great afternoon out listening to some top choice's on your list......
emotion-21.gif

Cheers Pete.

Will do mate
emotion-21.gif
when I have all the pennies saved up. Just doing a little research at the moment and boy do a lot of people recommend the RX6, be interesting to hear. My local hifi shop is nuts on B&W so that hifi shop is out, so a little trip to Birmingham is in order.

All the best.

Mike.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Fair enuf..........

I did hear the RX6's and if you like solid bass, you'll love them. They just lacked vocal presence in stereo usage, in my opinion, but maybe something to do with using a Denon 1911 to demo them........althought the Q500's were fine on it...

If you going to Birmingham, may I suggest spending an afternoon of demo time in Coventry???

I suggest that, because I think David has most, if not all, the speakers on demo that are on your list....
emotion-11.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
You obviously haven't e-mailed me then
emotion-2.gif

If you can stretch to the CM8's, then you really should look at the Q900's - an amazingly open and detailed sounding speaker that really leaves the RX's standing as far as overall balance is concerned. I've heard details on these speakers that more expensive speakers just can't produce, like the wavering of guitar and bass notes. They're a high sensitivity too, which means you don't need lorryloads of power. Plus, there's the benefits of a single point source, where treble and midrange come from one point rather than two, which gives far greater accuracy as far as imaging is concerned.

A

Anonymous

Not every retialer stocks all the same brands such as KEF, B&W and Monitor Audio e.g. Musicraft as far as I am aware do not stock B&W and KEF - quite how they can therefore rank speakers they do not stock is beyond me.

There is no substitute to going and listening to speakers yourself as not everybody likes the same sound and that is why there are so many speaker manufacturers.

Frank Harvey in Coventry are one of the very few retailers who stock most of the major brands in AV and 2 Channel Hifi and the opinions and experience of the staff there is valuable to any consumer.

If you are intending to visit to a store in the Midlands to listen to speakers then their premises should be top of the list so that you can listen to all the speakers you are interested in.

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Pistol Pete1:

Fair enuf..........

I did hear the RX6's and if you like solid bass, you'll love them. They just lacked vocal presence in stereo usage, in my opinion, but maybe something to do with using a Denon 1911 to demo them........althought the Q500's were fine on it...

If you going to Birmingham, may I suggest spending an afternoon of demo time in Coventry???

I suggest that, because I think David has most, if not all, the speakers on demo that are on your list....
emotion-11.gif

Thanks Pete!
emotion-21.gif

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:You obviously haven't e-mailed me then
emotion-2.gif
If you can stretch to the CM8's, then you really should look at the Q900's - an amazingly open and detailed sounding speaker that really leaves the RX's standing as far as overall balance is concerned. I've heard details on these speakers that more expensive speakers just can't produce, like the wavering of guitar and bass notes. They're a high sensitivity too, which means you don't need lorryloads of power. Plus, there's the benefits of a single point source, where treble and midrange come from one point rather than two, which gives far greater accuracy as far as imaging is concerned.

Thanks David and Coventry13 for your replies.
emotion-21.gif

David, I only emailed the shops that popped up on google shopping but as Pete as pointed you out and I have tracked you down on google map and it looks as you are only 20 mins from the train station which is great. As for the speakers, you would recommend the KEFS over the monitor audios? as I have a bit of a dilemma,
emotion-43.gif
I was speaking to a friend today I have not seen for ages and he as a Arcam AVR500 which is said he is getting rid of for Pre/Power amps at the end of the year and he said I could have it for around £1K if I wanted it, so after adding my pennies up I can buy the monitor audios rx6 plus centre and rears and just a little more saving and buy the arcam off my friend, or I can buy the kefs Q700 or Q900 plus centre and rears but as these speakers are a little more expensive means I can't buy the arcam, as I need to buy new carpets etc around the home.

So what would be better the monitor audio's with an arcam AVR500 or KEFS with my onkyo 875, my mind telling me the monitor audio's with the arcam but I may be wrong.

Thanks again!
emotion-2.gif

All the best.

Mike.

Hi coventry13

I am sorry you feel things are beyond you. If it makes you feel any better you are not alone in this respect.

Btw, i do see and hear components which i don't generally or fully support. I prefer to not to down the path of "jack of all trades, ..." I am sorry if this does not meet your expectations.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
007L2Thrill:

Dave, I only emailed the shops that popped up on google shopping but as Pete as pointed you out I have tracked you down on google map and it looks as you are only 20 mins from the train station which is great. As for the speakers, you would recommend the KEFS over the monitor audios? as I have a bit of a dilemma,
emotion-43.gif
I was speaking to a friend today I have not seen for ages and he as a Arcam AVR500 which is said he is getting rid of for Pre/Power amps at the end of the year and he said I could have it for around £1K if I wanted it, so after adding my pennies up I can buy the monitor audios rx6 plus centre and rears and just a little more saving and buy the arcam off my friend, or I can buy the kefs Q700 or Q900 plus centre and rears but as these speakers are a little more expensive means I can't buy the arcam, as I need to buy new carpets etc around the home.

So what would be better the monitor audio's with an arcam AVR500 or KEFS with my onkyo 875, my mind telling me the monitor audio's with the arcam but I may be wrong.
Hi Mike
We're only actually a 10 minute walk from the station
emotion-1.gif

Well both MA and KEF have their own sound, and their own benefits - which suit you is up to you. The Arcam would be the superior amplifier for music reproduction, but movies would be a closer call. You could try both speaker brands out on a neutral amplifier to see which you prefer - if there a clear winner, then there's your path. If it's close, then try the amps out. Again, that may lead you down a specific path, or lead you to an entirely different outcome!
There is no right or wrong here, only options
emotion-1.gif

007L2Thrill:MUSICRAFT:

007L2Thrill:

Thanks a lot!
emotion-2.gif

Hi 007L2thrill

emotion-1.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi Rick

emotion-21.gif

A lot of people I have spoken to and dealers I have emailed have said monitor audio RX6 as the best speaker, so that's on top of my list now.

One last thing if I added in the B&W CM8 would you class these better then the RX6.

Thanks again Rick.

All the best.

Mike.

Hi Mike

Your welcome.

This is beause the Silver RX6's are superb. The RX6's speakers simply excude class and also fully deserve the praise which they receive.

As for the the CM8's you might also want to consider the Silver RX8's as these are also at a similar price.

From your choice of speakers i feel the Silver RX speakers is more likely to ultimately give you long term satisifaction.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:007L2Thrill:

Dave, I only emailed the shops that popped up on google shopping but as Pete as pointed you out I have tracked you down on google map and it looks as you are only 20 mins from the train station which is great. As for the speakers, you would recommend the KEFS over the monitor audios? as I have a bit of a dilemma,
emotion-43.gif

So what would be better the monitor audio's with an arcam AVR500 or KEFS with my onkyo 875, my mind telling me the monitor audio's with the arcam but I may be wrong. Hi Mike We're only actually a 10 minute walk from the station
emotion-1.gif
Well both MA and KEF have their own sound, and their own benefits - which suit you is up to you. The Arcam would be the superior amplifier for music reproduction, but movies would be a closer call. You could try both speaker brands out on a neutral amplifier to see which you prefer - if there a clear winner, then there's your path. If it's close, then try the amps out. Again, that may lead you down a specific path, or lead you to an entirely different outcome! There is no right or wrong here, only options
emotion-1.gif

Thanks Dave!
emotion-21.gif

Will do, when I get closer to having all the funds I will have to have a demo as this seems the best solution.

All the best.

Mike.

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
MUSICRAFT:007L2Thrill:MUSICRAFT:

007L2Thrill:

Thanks a lot!
emotion-2.gif

Hi 007L2thrill

emotion-1.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi Rick

emotion-21.gif

Thanks again Rick.

All the best.

Mike.

Hi Mike

Your welcome.

This is beause the Silver RX6's are superb. The RX6's speakers simply excude class and also fully deserve the praise which they receive.

As for the the CM8's you might also want to consider the Silver RX8's as these are also at a similar price.

From your choice of speakers i feel the Silver RX speakers is more likely to ultimately give you long term satisifaction.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Thanks Rick.
emotion-21.gif

If I did get the monitor audio's I would get the RX6's as then I would have the funds to be able to upgrade my AMP too.

All the best.

Mike.

A

Anonymous

I have to say; without even listening to the KEF or MA, put the two side by side and look at the difference in finish quality and build. You have to live with these.

Of course the sound helps. And for me, the RX6 is a better speaker overall. Sound enginering and sticking with what they know for a number of year and devleoping it.

It seems to me that KEF told us the curved cabinets were to reduce standing waves in the last two Q series. Now square cabinets, why? They also used plastic cones and now they have gone to metal cones, just like MA, why? Very odd!

MA have had years of perfecting the metal cone tech and in my view are much further up the ladder and I think this shows in their sound

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
A manufacturer can only do so much for a certain budget. For a £1,000 budget" you have to budget for R&D, parts, and finish. You can split that equally, or you can steal from one to oversees another. Some manufacturers might cut back on the finish side of things, which is really the least important as far as sound quality is concerned, in order to use better parts or more research and testing. It's those that cut back on parts that generally lose out to the competition. Youll usually find that most speakers will cut back in one of these three areas in order to gain an advantage. If they don't, they try and be a jack of all trades, which can work fine, but not give them an edge.

KEF went back to square cabinets firstly to gain more cabinet volume - KEF's have always been a little leaner sounding than most other speakers, so they addressed this this time round. Secondly, it's cheaper to produce. If the Q100 was still using curved cabinets, it'd be retailing at about £500-600, the Q300 at ££600-700, the Q500 at £800-1,000, the Q700 at £1,200-1,300, and the Q900 about £1,500-1,600. That's just a guess on my part, but it won't be too far off the mark. At these prices, they'd still hold their own, but they'd lose the edge they have.

As for the move to aluminium cones - KEF have looked at the whole iQ design and reconfigured it to work in the new Q design - this called for aluminium drivers. All speaker manufacturers develop their designs over many years, even decades. Sometimes this means new materials, new designs. All a manufacturer has to do is design the numerous aspects of a loudspeaker to work as a whole - this dictates materials and requirements.

All types of drivers have their drawbacks, it's just down to which driver suits the design better. Get in touch with Jack at KEF, he can get into this much deeper than I can.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
jackocleebrown:If you are interested you can find a lot of information about the technical aspects of the Q-series here: http://www.kef.com/Wiki/en/QSeries2010/html_en/q_series_technology.html

jackocleebrown,

Since you work for KEF, please declare the fact in your signature, as required by House Rules:

"9) Manufacturers, retailers, service providers and their staff are required to identify themselves as such in their signature. Any additional information - such as the telephone number, email and website address of the company - should be put in the user's profile, where retailers must also list all the brands they stock. 'Trade' members of the forum failing to meet these conditions will be removed, as will those the moderators suspect to be trade members posting under an alias."

007L2Thrill:MUSICRAFT:007L2Thrill:MUSICRAFT:

007L2Thrill:

Thanks a lot!
emotion-2.gif

Hi 007L2thrill

emotion-1.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi Rick

emotion-21.gif

Thanks again Rick.

All the best.

Mike.

Hi Mike

Your welcome.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Thanks Rick.
emotion-21.gif

If I did get the monitor audio's I would get the RX6's as then I would have the funds to be able to upgrade my AMP too.

All the best.

Mike.

Hi Mike

Your welcome.

If you did go for the Monitor Audio's and still have the funds available then i will suggest in the first instance you should look at putting the money towards completing the Silver RX set by gradually adding the RXLCR, RXFX and RXW12 as this route will give you a far bigger return on your investment then changing the amplifier. Your TX-SR875 is still good enough. A combination of the TX-SR875 and Silver RX6 AV12 package is a combination which i am sure you will enjoy for many years to come
emotion-2.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS