KEF LS50 Vs AVI ADM9s

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
I appreciate the above title thread will role a few eyes on the forum, but I’m (perhaps blindly) hoping this thread will actually serve to provide some half useful insight.

Both the AVIs and the LS50s have received wide scale acclaim almost to the point where they are recommended on almost all ‘what shall I get next’ threads.

I have been considering upgrading my system (below) for some time and given my music is now streamed digitally via the internet, through my airport express, or from my NAS drive, my CD player has been made redundant. This means I now just have my trust Sony amp powering my speakers, which perhaps are my weakest link. The sound is not bad, by any stretch, but I feel there could be a bit more clarity and control over some of the music that I play.

This has obviously led me to these two contenders, and I’ve viewed many threads about both but there does not seem to be any comparison between the two. Obviously the AVIs offer more than just a speaker and could, potentially, solve all my issues (amp/dac/speakers) in one. However, if the LS50s sound more to my taste, with the potential to sound better given a better amp, then over time I will invest in achieving that.

With this in mind, I will be testing both speakers over the weekend at some ‘local’ hifi shops. The first will be the LS50s, which will be pitted against my amp to start with to see how it copes. I will also be comparing the sound against some more ‘accomplished’ and newer equipment in the guise of the Marantz MCR610 and then against the Naim UnitiQute/Lite boxes. I’m hoping it will enable me to hear the range of ability the speakers have and what throwing more money at our wonderful hobby provides!

Next up will be a trip to listen to the AVIs. I will be listening to an older version (9.1s) which I can purchase second hand for £650 and the newer RSs. I’m hoping this will give me further insight against what I could get by upgrading the ‘traditional’ way against going for the convenience of a one box solution.

It should provide some interesting thoughts and I am hoping to be able to qualify the difference between all the various combinations. If I don’t – I’ll either keep what I’ve got – or go for the 2nd hand pair of 9.1s!

I’ve started this thread to purely help provide others with my own viewpoint on what I think may be a pretty common question for people in my position – one that hasn’t been answered due to various reasons. Given where I live, I’m in a position to compare both (albeit with a short drive in between). I don’t want this to descend into the usual active vs passive/AVI vs the world argument. Just some insight that will hopefully help others.

I will say I’m not going to be able to provide the most informative review – I’m not WHF standard! My ears are my own, and I like listening to music. I have no pre-conceptions of what will be better and no agenda to beat here – so it should be unbiased.

I hope it will help others.
PJ

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Are you aware the choice isn't limited as it was before? There's the new active Quads which have all the inputs plus USB, a big plus, Adam art series speakers inc. a tasty floorstander, and the highly reviewed (in German magazines) Nubert A-200 pro series of speakers with DSP? Nubert have to come from Germany, but price includes returns with free shipping up to 30 days if you don't like them.

They're all cheaper than the AVI offering.

P.S Have only heard the Kef, which I didn't particularly like.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
A very interesting head to head, and I look forward to your findings.

There are a few variables to take into account:

- The amp you use with the LS50s will be crucial

- Since the LS50s need a decent amp to hear their potential, it will probably leave them a more expensive option.

- LS50s need heavy, preferably filled speaker stands, along with a bit of space around them, to sound their best . I don't know if this is the case for the AVIs.

- It is an easy decision if you prefer the AVIs. If you prefer the LS50s, putting a value on that difference may not be so simple (unless you dislike the AVIs).

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the responses.

As for trying further combos - I'm already confused as it is, so will be sticking to my plan on the above combos!

Agree on the amp and speaker placement for the LS50s. I'm aware that the amplification is critical with the LS50 but hope to actually test that because I'll be feeding it my old Sony to start with. I'm hoping to hear a lot more improvement in relation to upgrading to - say - the Naim.

I have decent space for the placement of the speakers, so not too much of an issue, but the AVIs are very forgiving in relation to placement.

We'll see how we get on!

Phileas

May 5, 2012
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
They're both ported, so you wouldn't want to place them too close to the walls else they'll boom.

This is not correct. As far as low frequencies are concerned, the speaker is a point source and port psitioning is almost irrelevant, assuming you don't actually completely block it.

Any speaker can boom in the wrong place, but I would expect active speakers to be less sensitive in this respect.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
No, that's incorrect. Either that, or speaker manufacturers have got it wrong all these years :)

That's why some supply foam bungs. In fact, the LS50s come with bungs, I believe.

jjbomber

PJ1200 said:
I . I’m hoping it will enable me to hear the range of ability the speakers have and what throwing more money at our wonderful hobby provides! PJ

You don't specify a budget but I would definately audition the Heed Obelisk with the LS50s. i've heard them at my local audio-t and they were stunning together.

Phileas

May 5, 2012
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
No, that's incorrect. Either that, or speaker manufacturers have got it wrong all these years :)

That's why some supply foam bungs. In fact, the LS50s come with bungs, I believe.

I've no idea what reason speaker makers give for supplying port bungs but I note that they often also tell buyers to allow many hours for burn in which is also nonsense.

A simple calculation will tell you that most speaker dimensions are a tiny fraction of typical port frequency wavelengths.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Difficult decision: do I trust every speaker manufacturer in the world or an anonymous internet person?

Edit: Actually, having read about the money people are throwing at amps for the LS50 I'd not bother with them and go down the active route.

A £4000 amp for £800 speakers?? The world has gone mad.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Difficult decision: do I trust every speaker manufacturer in the world or an anonymous internet person?

You know the answer to that question A.L.

24 hours to acclimatise and approx 30 hours burn in. Has to be said that it really isn't a 'burn in' as such. More the action of making the surrounds and spiders' adhesives a little more pliable and that comes with gentle forward / backward motion or have all us loudspeaker builders got it all wrong??. I don't think so. :p

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
:)

Don't worry - I remain hopeful this could be the thread that finally manages to provide some insight on the topic ;)

The AVIs are front ported are they not? If so, no need to worry about putting them against the wall so much? I'm sure a good ft from anything would be benefical, but would just assume a little play around is what is required.

I was looking at the Heed amp not so long ago and have heard previously that it can drive the LS50s.

All I'm trying to do is see whether the LS50s are as good as everyone raves about, as well as seeing if the notion that they need some heavy-wattage from a high end amp to provide their best. I also want to see that in comparison to the 'hype' that has been surrouding the AVIs too.

I may not hear anything (to my ears) and as such save my money. I may be an AVI convert. I may think that the KEFs are just too good and too good looking not to own - and who knows, I may decide my trusty Sony amp has still got the moves and there's no point in spending anything more on an amp...

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
There is no hype, just marketing and the gullible I'm afraid. If you believe, you'll love them, if you don't, you'll realise they're just another cheap (on the component level) small speaker but with an amp and DAC built in.

If you want to hear something special, forget boxes entirely and try some panels. Now they really are the best out there :)

P.S How do you become a convert to a brand without hearing it?

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
Great topic PJ! I look forward to reading your findings. I'm sure lots of us are interested to know how those 2 'speakers' compare...

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
My AVI ADM 9Ts have sat in 2 rooms, close up to the back walls and have never 'boomed'. Big H did a lot of auditioning a while back, including the LS 50s, and purchased a pair of AVI ADM 9 RS.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
relocated said:
My AVI ADM 9Ts have sat in 2 rooms, close up to the back walls and have never 'boomed'. Big H did a lot of auditioning a while back, including the LS 50s, and purchased a pair of AVI ADM 9 RS.

MAnaged to check out the evangelical site the other day. Check back on some of the recent user's opinions, relocated, and you'll see someone has commented on that. Remember the sole difference between the AVI and other small bookshelves is a theoretically more efficient crossover. Everything else applies to any speaker in the world. There's no magic, only propaganda
grin.gif

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
altruistic.lemon said:

Totally concur. Exactly the same when people ask about a 2k speaker when they've only a £300 amp. Ridiculous.

Nobody on here told Kubs to go out and buy a 500W amp, but he "bagged one at a decent price", and may well be delighted with the result. Can't we just be happy for him.

CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:
altruistic.lemon said:

Totally concur. Exactly the same when people ask about a 2k speaker when they've only a £300 amp. Ridiculous.

Nobody on here told Kubs to go out and buy a 500W amp, but he "bagged one at a decent price", and may well be delighted with the result. Can't we just be happy for him.

Of course we can. Just seems strange with a 4k amp he's bagged himself a bargain £800 speaker. If he had said I'd bagged myself a discounted 2k speaker, that'd be in keeping...

I thought my £1300 amp with £600 MAs was a slight overkill.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
altruistic.lemon said:

now imagine LS50 are made in England.. could cost at least twice as much.. and then if Harbeths were mede in China could cost half of what it cost now.. so in this scenario LS50 and C7ES3 could be in the same price bracket.. Harbeth user pair the speakers with Accuphase, Electrocompaniet, Sugden etc electronics so not really cheap brands..

then sugden, electro, accu, naim... could be cheaper if made in China

some people know price of everything and the value of nothing

honestly.. you should walk to the store, ask for good sounding hi fi.. say what source you interested in and budget.. seat relax listen...

if the seller cant present extremely good sounding hi fi' to you from the components he's got you leave the store and never come back

there are fantastic and less fantastic passive and active systems regardless of money you spend out there..

it's popular advice on this forum: if one think of adding subwoofer to LS50 then this speakers are probably not what he's looking for in the first place.. WHY??? have you heard LS50 with good sub?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts