Beloved NAD 3020 amp damaged - help needed

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Unfortunately my little boy decided to mess around with my amp. The upshot is that one of the buttons on the front is missing. I've looked everywhere for it. I've trawled the Internet for sites selling spares for NAD 3020s without any joy.

Any advice gratefully received.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Dig a little hole in your garden, 2 sq.ft wide, ten inches deep should be just about right, place your 3020 very carefully in it. Now stamp hard on it and fill the said hole with the earth you've removed a couple of minutes earlier. Done.

A

Anonymous

try maplin they have all sorts weird and wonderful bits and bobs, might not be an original component but I'm sure they will have something that will help?

John Duncan

Talk to NAD. If they can't help, buy a faulty 3020 off eBay for 20 quid.

But I'm with drummerman
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

I think that amplifier is very good and I don't believe it would need replacing until it finally stops! Very nice equipment! : )

Try buying a cheap, average condition one from ebay for around £30 and then just remove the dial from that one and put it on your one. Then you can either keep that one for spares in the future or sell it for a little less again on ebay.

Kids eh! ; )

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Paul Myrmus"]
I've trawled the Internet for sites selling spares for NAD 3020s without any joy.

[/quote]

Please don't bring "the most over rated amp ever" back to life....I can spend the whole year calling out names of other amps that will be a lot better than the poor old NAD 3020.

It was OK back then but so the Ford Cortina!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Thaiman"]
I've trawled the Internet for sites selling spares for NAD 3020s without any joy.

[/quote]

Please don't bring "the most over rated amp ever" back to life....I can spend the whole year calling out names of other amps that will be a lot better than the poor old NAD 3020.

[/quote]

I like to think of it as the Volkswagen Golf GTi Mk.I of amplifiers. Really nice good value product, but a divided opinion over whether it was truly great or not.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Hughes123"][quote user="Thaiman"]

[/quote]

[/quote] I like to think of it as the Volkswagen Golf GTi Mk.I of amplifiers. Really nice good value product, but a divided opinion over whether it was truly great or not.[/quote]

I afraid if you blind test it against the budget king of today (or even mini system) you will be very surprise how over rated the 3020 is!. However I do respect your oppinion, if that your kinna sound who am I to argue!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Thaiman"]

[/quote]

[/quote]
My first amp was a NAD 3020, first car was a cortina. Spooky!!
My first album was Slade In Flame - is there a theme here?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="heystak"]

[/quote]

I love SLADE and I seen some nice classic cortina and you are showing your age!

A

Anonymous

What was your first TV though? I had a big ol' Grundig thing...we used to call it "stig of the dump" because we found it there!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Thaiman"]
[quote user="heystak"]

[/quote]

I love SLADE and I seen some nice classic cortina and you are showing your age!
[/quote]

Aging fast but my kids keep telling me to TURN THE VOLUME DOWN!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Hughes123"]What was your first TV though? I had a big ol' Grundig thing...we used to call it "stig of the dump" because we found it there![/quote]

Cant remember what the TV was but it was a valve black & white. It was top notch - the remote was hard wired to the TV and screwed to a dial on the windowsill - DER 2&6 a week

A

Anonymous

Wonderful!

I lost one once and found it about 6 months later down the side of the arm chair. I must admit tho at the time (circa 1985) there were no sprogs. Still hurt to see the aux button looking very blue. I had to use a pencil. Very impressive for guests,,,,, . However if you want child abuse of beloved property you cant better my 3 year old painting a 6 month old mitsi flat pride and joy screen in mushroom gloss while I was happily painting me doorframe in said paint. The wife had some very good colour schemes going at the time. Best thing was... I spent half hour looking for the tin of paint in the front room thinking I'd got alzhiemers and actually wondering...had I started painting?

Bless her she's 15 now and oh how we laugh about it until I raise me fist.

Anyway, I digress. The 3020. Adult abuse. In 2000 I decided to sort out the crackling volume control with some wd40. Blew the soddin thing up. Somehow after that kept blowing the LH fuse. Its been in the wardrobe ever since till last week and I found a bloke who'l replace the mosfets and pot for 40 quid. This Rottel rx-403 sounds like a fairy on a gob of lard.

I'm gonna have to resurrect it. Like an old friend. Trouble is, the speakers I had have not exactly stood the test of 2 kids with myriad fingers pulling at the cones and poking the tweeter domes. They were fairly not nice anyway, JVC sk 600II's.

Cut a long story short, I've lost touch with all this Hi-Fi stuff, kids are grown uppish and I'm planning to run the NAD through the PC. Could do with some help on which speakers to buy. Bloke who'se gonna repair the amp says missions, but to be careful wi the second hand ones. Dunno which model to buy tho, and would the 3020 be better paired with someting else?

BTW Paul, keep the amp, dont bury it, from what I remember it was truly phenominal with a Linn Sondek and V15 IV. If it sounds half as good through the eurobox pc thingy it's still worth hanging onto.

TIA

A

Anonymous

Call this place. they should be able to help.

O'Briens Hi Fi
02089 461528

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts